heading to SD have ?'s

annisarich

We will be heading to Mt Rushmore and Custer for a few days.

We would like to do a little caching along our trip from Michigan.

We only have a few days so we dont want anything Too hard :laughing:

Looking for some suggestions or waypoint listings for:

1:) Something that will bring us to a real great spot (shock and awe)

2:) Some good TB Hotels

3:) Easier short hikes that can be done from usual tourist areas ( about .5mile not too much bush whacking)

THANKS

:rolleyes:

We will be heading to Mt Rushmore and Custer for a few days.

We would like to do a little caching along our trip from Michigan.

We only have a few days so we dont want anything Too hard :laughing:

Looking for some suggestions or waypoint listings for:

1:) Something that will bring us to a real great spot (shock and awe)

2:) Some good TB Hotels

3:) Easier short hikes that can be done from usual tourist areas ( about .5mile not too much bush whacking)

THANKS

:rolleyes:

Hello there Annisarich. I am fairly new to this game and will give you some info, but hopefully some of the area veterans will chime in too. If you are going to Mt.Rushmore via Rapid City there are a few quick caches along the way. There are also plenty of good ones in Rapid City. When you leave Rapid you will take Hwy 16 then turn south at the Y heading into Keystone on 16A. Along 16A there are a few close caches, but I have not checked them out yet. Keystone is a little tourist town a couple miles from Mt.Rushmore. There is a new TB hotel in Keystone but haven't checked it out yet either and do not know how far off the beaten path it is. After you leave Mt.Rushmore take Hwy 244 towards Custer. There is a great picnic area right down the road with a cache. Picnics,Pines & Pins-GCWH19. All the caches along this route are worth checking out. Be sure to take a slight detour on Palmer Creek road and check out the 3 caches back in there. What a spectacular view and all 3 caches are close together. Harney Peek-GCYCGC, Split Rock-GC66DO, and Palmer Pines-GCYC8A. Go to the Split Rock log and check out the cool photo I recently shot. There is also another fairly new cache on the way to Custer and that is Almost Sylvan-GCVXXP, and is a short little walk from the truck along a small lake. I have not had a chance to score many caches in the Custer area since I am new to the game and have plenty more exploring to do. If you need any more info just shoot me an Email. :lol:

Also if you are looking for TB's or to drop some off, the Black Hills TB Depot- GCJ7AN off of I90 and The Black Hills, Badlands and Lakes (visitor center)-GCVG46 is a good place for that. The visitor center is also off of I90 on the way to Mt.Rushmore.

A must do when in the mount Rushmore area is the trek over the Iron Mountain road. Great way to get to Custer. Great scenic views, begging mules, buffalo and some really great caches. Any of the tunnel caches along this road, the vaca cache at the top and my Presidential Faraway view are all good ones.

A must do when in the mount Rushmore area is the trek over the Iron Mountain road. Great way to get to Custer. Great scenic views, begging mules, buffalo and some really great caches. Any of the tunnel caches along this road, the vaca cache at the top and my Presidential Faraway view are all good ones.

Ditto. Double ditto on the Iron Mountain road tunnel series. Deadwood is great, too, ifyou have the time. If you want shock and awe do 'WhiteRocks'. It's a bit uphill but the view is unforgettable. See our log on that for pictures.

We weren't really impressed with Keystone, but that's just our two cents.

If you're going to be travelling I-90, and "shock and awe" means great scenery, and you're willing to take a short side-trip, I'd recommend the caches in the Garretson SD area (southeastern SD just across the MN border).

Split Rock 2 GC13CYT

Devils Micro GC13CZH

Gulch Cache GC13YKT

Devil's Gulch Cache GCGACJ

cleft GCJFC2

The King GCTV5A

Sioux Falls has hundreds of caches. Falls Park has a few, and is worth the trip for the beautiful surroundings and other attractions. Dell Rapids is a very scenic area about 15 miles north of Sioux Falls with around a dozen caches.

After reading StarBrand's review, I just had to go check out these caches on Iron Mountain Road. I was very impressed, you won't be disappointed. Awesome views. Did not have enough time to check out StarBrand's cache. Allot of traffic up there now and am busy for the Sturgis Rally, but will check out the other caches as soon as possible. :D