Gpsmap 60csx

I currently have an old Ifinder. I would like to get the gpsmap 60csx, but dont want to get it if it is being replaced soon. Any one know if it is?

I also have a question about its maps. Is there another place to get mapping software. Or is the garmin topo and city nav good enough? I will be using this mostly when camping. I would also use it for turn by turn nav on the way to camping.

In the menu i see you can change vehicle types. ( follow road options) What does this do? Also what are the options?

Edited by sleecjr
I currently have an old Ifinder. I would like to get the gpsmap 60csx, but dont want to get it if it is being replaced soon. Any one know if it is?

I also have a question about its maps. Is there another place to get mapping software. Or is the garmin topo and city nav good enough? I will be using this mostly when camping. I would also use it for turn by turn nav on the way to camping.

In the menu i see you can change vehicle types. ( follow road options) What does this do? Also what are the options?

AFAIK, the 60CSx is still a current model. There was a rumor a while back about a price drop, but it hasn't happened yet.

Garmin maps are the only ones that can be downloaded to the 60CSx. Topo maps are fine for camping, and the new Topo 2008 is not bad for navigation (it now has street names), although it doesn't do turn-by-turn. Topo US 2008 maps are 1:100K (only major trails like AT or PCT). US Nat Park Topos are 1:24K and have a lot (but not all) trails.

AFAIK, the 60CSx is still a current model. There was a rumor a while back about a price drop, but it hasn't happened yet.

Garmin maps are the only ones that can be downloaded to the 60CSx. Topo maps are fine for camping, and the new Topo 2008 is not bad for navigation (it now has street names), although it doesn't do turn-by-turn. Topo US 2008 maps are 1:100K (only major trails like AT or PCT). US Nat Park Topos are 1:24K and have a lot (but not all) trails.

Thanks For the info. I see that i can get it in 330 range. You think it will go down from there?

I just bought the 60csx and it works really well. So far I've used it on a couple of road trips with just the preloaded mapping software which is weak but did the job for the main highways. I've hit the deep woods in GA and have had no problems getting good reception. Even in the basement of my house near a window I can pull good signals.

I avoided Topo 2008 for the reasons imajeep mentioned. I wanted 1:24 maps so I got the National Parks East disc.

I want the CN 2008 (v9) when it comes out. I've held off on buying V8 for that reason. No date is set for the full release yet according to Garmin product support as of yesterday.

Mine came with a 128mb SD card instead of a 64 as listed. But I grabbed a 2GB card for $20. $330 is a pretty good price. You can beat that if you're patient. I got mine shipped on Ebay for just under $300.

Just budget about $400-500 for maps and accessories.

I just bought the 60csx and it works really well. So far I've used it on a couple of road trips with just the preloaded mapping software which is weak but did the job for the main highways. I've hit the deep woods in GA and have had no problems getting good reception. Even in the basement of my house near a window I can pull good signals.

Funny you should mention that. One of my first trips with my 60 CSx was a hike up Kennesaw Mountain over Memorial Day weekend with several other out-of-town visitors. A local was supposed to lead the hike (basically from the Illinois Monument to the top of the mountain), but he had a family emergency, so my wife and I ended up leading the hike with only the GPSr base map--I hadn't loaded local maps, because I'd just found out about the hike late the night before.

The 60 CSx worked like a champ! Great reception in the woods, and the base map was (barely) adequate to navigate by. Big help at points where the trail was a bit obscure!