Garmin * HCx as an auto gps

This is my first time shopping for a GPS and I'd like to get something that works for both my car and when I'm on foot or biking. I'm inclined to get one of the new Garmin HCx series with the City Navigator maps, since I am pretty urban and turn by turn directions would be one of my primary uses. Since I have not put my hands on the unit it I can't be certain the Garmin HCx is exactly what I want. My big question is, can this combination accept custom end/way points based upon street address without the use of a computer? It kinda defeats the convenience of a hand held to have to whip out my laptop every time I have to find my way to a new destination not preprogrammed into the GPS. If not, is there a hand held that can?

Yes.

Every mapping Handheld Garmin I have used, (Vista, Venture Cx, & 60CS) allow you to enter and save an address. You can also pan in the map screen and save whatever location you chose with your 'cursor'. You can also save locations from your Points of Interest file.

hey, there's no keyboard or touch screen... how do I enter addresses?!?

A virtual keypad pops up and you have to use the thumb button to scroll and select characters. It is clunky but that's the trade off for portability. The good news is you don't usually have to enter the entire street name. The first few characters narrows it down and then you get to select from a list of streets that start with those characters.

Thanks. I was about to push the "buy" button when I thought to myself- hey, there's no keyboard or touch screen... how do I enter addresses?!? Its a newb question, but, still, I didn't want a $200-$300 paperweight.

The etrex-derived hcx series uses a thumbstick to select characters from a virtual keyboard (kinda). The 60-series uses a 4way rocker to accomplish the same thing. Both work fine. I think you will be quite happy with the hcx.

Thanks for all the help! My fears are alleviated.

One silly question, though. Why is the thumb-stick on the left (now that I know how I'll use it)?

Garmin designed the unit to be used primarily with the left hand, because most people are right handed and holding the GPSr in their left hand frees their right for other things. However, the unit can be used in either hand easily.

Thanks for all the help! My fears are alleviated.

One silly question, though. Why is the thumb-stick on the left (now that I know how I'll use it)?

Garmin designed the unit to be used primarily with the left hand, because most people are right handed and holding the GPSr in their left hand frees their right for other things. However, the unit can be used in either hand easily.

So do lefties use it the "right" way? :rolleyes: That was interesting, I didn't know that. I never had any issues using my old Legend right-handed. :laughing:

For one year I used my 60CX as a car GPS too with Mapsource "adapted" to provide autorouting.

Works great, of course no voice prompt, low beep and true a bit awkward to search addresses because of no keyboard or touchscreen.

The HCX should do too.

Definitely the best choice for do it all GPS.

Now I got a TomTom One EU for the car. Reason ? The cost of just the Garmin routable maps for EU is about the cost of TomTom One EU !!!

SO Garmin for the trail TomTom for the road.

I simply can not understand Garmin policy in term of pricing for the EU, for maps and for units (got my 60CX in the US)