does anyone use the Gamin adhesive dash mount

When I bought my new to me vehicle I figured I would use those adhesive disks that came with my Garmin GPS's. I have used a bean bag mount up until now but thought since I keep my cars 10 years that I should make it more permanent, literally as the bean bag moves around the dash on bumpy roads.

I use the reposition able adhesive disk for trial period. I used my StreetPilot for a road trip and left the unit on the dash once we parked. Next morning I found the GPS and base on the floor. I stuck the unit back on the remaining disk and drove home. Week or so later I put in my Map60CX for some Geocaching and I didn't make it out of the driveway before it fell off.

Planning to use the permanent disk next but wondering if it will have a similar separation problem and should I ever want to remove it how hard is it to get the glue off the dash?

TIA

Derek

I had a similar experience with the reposition able disc, but the permanent disc is working great. I'm spending the summer in Phoenix (don't ask!) and it hasn't moved at all even in 110+ degrees. Can't wait to get back to the Pacific Northwest. :laughing:

Had my temporary mounts on for about a year now in 1 vehicle and 2 disks in 2 different vehicles where it was removed and a new one placed in the new vehicle when I traded it in. NO problems, no movement, it was hard to get it off the old vehicle before I traded it in but it did all come off. Sun cold no difference. I wonder why I would ever need a permanent adhesive which Garmin says will never come off.

I cleaned up my dash on my Bronco with some alcahol then stuck it down. About 5 years later I sold the Bronco and dang near could not get the desk off. Then I figured out that if I twisted it off it would go better. It did. No gum, no marks, I was happy. It held up to all the offroading I did which was one heck of a lot of washboard roads.

Now I need another disk for my next rig.

When I bought my new to me vehicle I figured I would use those adhesive disks that came with my Garmin GPS's. I have used a bean bag mount up until now but thought since I keep my cars 10 years that I should make it more permanent, literally as the bean bag moves around the dash on bumpy roads.

I use the reposition able adhesive disk for trial period. I used my StreetPilot for a road trip and left the unit on the dash once we parked. Next morning I found the GPS and base on the floor. I stuck the unit back on the remaining disk and drove home. Week or so later I put in my Map60CX for some Geocaching and I didn't make it out of the driveway before it fell off.

Planning to use the permanent disk next but wondering if it will have a similar separation problem and should I ever want to remove it how hard is it to get the glue off the dash?

TIA

Derek

When I bought my etrex Legend about three years ago I also tried the removable disc and it wouldn't hold, so I put on the permanent disc. THree years later and an upgrade last year to a 60CSx and it's still holding strong. THe mount itself is wearing out, but the disc is still holding.

I've had the repositionable disk on my dash for about a year now. To be honest, I was concerned when I first put it on. I didn't believe it would actually hold. It hasn't budged.

Because I thought it would fail, I was very diligent in following the instructions (not my normal, smack it on and see how it does). I think that properly preparing the dash and giving it the time to stick before using it did the trick.

I've used 2 temporary pads in 2 vehicles. Cleaned the mounting spot of the dash with rubbing alcohol first both times. Both those pads held on tight, but could be removed with significant force. Finding a nice flat spot on the dash is key though. I'd never use a permanent pad cause I'd be afraid it wouldn't come off. My new Xterra has a place that fits the beanbag mount really well though, so that's what I'm using now.

Speaking of adhesive discs...I was just looking on-line for non-Garmin equivalents. I am so impressed with the performance of the discs, I have several other applications I would like to use the material on. Plus, the nearest store that sells Garmin stuff from where I live is $40 in gasoline away. Anyone know what the 3-M equivalent tape would be?

Speaking of adhesive discs...I was just looking on-line for non-Garmin equivalents. I am so impressed with the performance of the discs, I have several other applications I would like to use the material on. Plus, the nearest store that sells Garmin stuff from where I live is $40 in gasoline away. Anyone know what the 3-M equivalent tape would be?

The stuff you are looking for is in the automotive section and is commercially sold as 'auto trim adhesive'. It's about a half inch wide and is VERY durable. I stuck my Garmin mount low on my windshield using this tape and it won't budge.

TIA

Derek

I had one on for about six months, had no issues, pulled it off because I thought I had to when I changed GPSr's, stuck another one on and have used that one with no problems for about a year. No gum or damage when I pulled it off.

i use a sticky pad i purchased from office depot for a while, then i switched to a belkin ash tray standing unit. i like it a lot better.

regards

archie

I had one on for about six months, had no issues, pulled it off because I thought I had to when I changed GPSr's, stuck another one on and have used that one with no problems for about a year. No gum or damage when I pulled it off.

i use a sticky pad i purchased from office depot for a while, then i switched to a belkin ash tray standing unit. i like it a lot better.

regards

archie

where can I get a perment adhisive disk for my garmin the one came with it not holding