If you don't like them, Don't...............

Often time in discusions about micro's or certain other cache types, someone mentions that if you don't like them, don't hunt for them.

Well, I have been doing just that and got a huge disapointment recently.

I accept the fact that there are quite a few GREAT hides I will never find bcause of my filtering, that is not the point of this post.

I saw a mystery cache on Google Earth, and it had a cryptex puzzle you had to solve. COOL!

This guy put a lot of effort into this. It's got to be a great hide!!!

But it had no size mentiond, nor anything else.

So I spend a good bit of time solving this puzzle, and we just happend to be going where this cache is hidden.

HOT DOG!

I'm gonna go find it!

And I did.

And I was P..., :o very upset.

It was a nano container with a magnet stuck to the bottom of a fire hydrent in a big box store parking lot.

As I aproched in the truck, I was hoping it was up on the hill in the bushes at least. Nope.

I signed the log with my feelings, and wanted to say something online. But I knew it would just be deleted.

My brother, Clan Riffster tells me once before, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

But I can't let this go. It's eating me. So I sign the online log. After much reflection. And many revisions before I hit the "submit log" button

So by now your thinking "OK Goober, whats the point"? :laughing:

Is there a way, short of selecting each of a persons hides, (they have a LOT) to ignore a persons hides? If not, I really wish there was.

Steppin off the soapbox now. Yes, I feel better.

PP

Dang I wish I knew where to get the frog eating popcorn emoticon. :(

i don't like posts that use nonstandard fonts.

i haven't been able to get the new glasses that i need, so it's hard for me to read them.

since i don't like to read fonts like that, i didn't bother to read the original post.

often when i think i won't like a cache, if i happen to me right near it, i'll go anyway, if for no other reason than to confirm my suspicions. there will be time later to tell my friends about it in derisive terms.

...Is there a way, short of selecting each of a persons hides, (they have a LOT) to ignore a persons hides? If not, I really wish there was. ...
You can do that by using a macro in GSAK. Check out the GSAK forums. I'm sure there is someone over there that can walk you through it.

BTW, did you enjoy solving the puzzle?

Edited by sbell111

We did one Puzzle cache that didn't involve a terribly difficult puzzle, just very complicated. One of those, Mary is 10 years older than Sarah, but not the oldest......

And it was a multi.

When we got to the coordinates, we found a nano on the underside of a fire hydrant -- we thought 'OK, this will tell us the coor for the final stage". Well no, it said, "Close, but this is not what you are looking for look some more." Fortunately we found the other nano with the coor after a few minutes.

And after all that, the final hide was almost out in the open. Sort of a let down after all that thinking to solve the puzzle.

I don't like it either when people hide a nano and put unknown for the container size. They think they are making it harder to find by not giving a hint on the container size. Actually its easier if I'm in a location where I'd expect a micro and the size is unknown - I immediately start looking for a nano or for one of those flat caches with the log on the back of a flexible magnetic sheet. However, I think that puzzles that take to you a micro in a lamp post or fire hydrant in a parking lot are great. For one thing, people who generally hide parking lot cache are also those that don't bother solving puzzles. So the puzzle might discourage them from placing another cache nearby. At least I get to imagine the people who put all the effort into hiding a parking lot getting there cache denied because it is too close to that puzzle cache. :laughing:

...Is there a way, short of selecting each of a persons hides, (they have a LOT) to ignore a persons hides? If not, I really wish there was. ...
You can do that by using a macro in GSAK. Check out the GSAK forums. I'm sure there is someone over there that can walk you through it.

Yes, actualy I did. :laughing:

I signed the log with my feelings, and wanted to say something online. But I knew it would just be deleted. My brother, Clan Riffster tells me once before, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".
You know that when you don't log your feelings about a cache online that someone else like you is going to go through the same thing that you did. So I think we need to start logging our true feelings (in a nice way) about the caches we find in our cache logs to help out our fellow cachers, who may read them in the future. :laughing:
I signed the log with my feelings, and wanted to say something online. But I knew it would just be deleted. My brother, Clan Riffster tells me once before, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".
You know that when you don't log your feelings about a cache online that someone else like you is going to go through the same thing that you did. So I think we need to start logging our true feelings (in a nice way) about the caches we find in our cache logs to help out our fellow cachers, who may read them in the future. :laughing:

That's a great idea in a perfect world.. But we live in a world where cache owners can be big ol' babies and delete your log because they got their feelers hurt by your honest comments.

I agree with you in spirit though :o

You know that when you don't log your feelings about a cache online that someone else like you is going to go through the same thing that you did. So I think we need to start logging our true feelings (in a nice way) about the caches we find in our cache logs to help out our fellow cachers, who may read them in the future. :(

That's a great idea in a perfect world.. But we live in a world where cache owners can be big ol' babies and delete your log because they got their feelers hurt by your honest comments.

I agree with you in spirit though :laughing:

I hear ya. :o Maybe we can come up with a secret code word to put in our logs like TDOTB (thumbs down on this baby). :(

I agree with you in spirit though

I hear ya. Maybe we can come up with a secret code word to put in our logs like TDOTB (thumbs down on this baby).

And for those REALLY bad ones...TTDOTB! :laughing::o (two thumbs down on this baby)

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Yes, actualy I did. :laughing:

The size of the cache or the parking lot it was in can't take that away from you.

I hear ya. Maybe we can come up with a secret code word to put in our logs like TDOTB (thumbs down on this baby).

And for those REALLY bad ones...TTDOTB! :(:laughing: (two thumbs down on this baby)

:( OK, let's start doing it! :o

And for those REALLY bad ones...TTDOTB! :(:laughing: (two thumbs down on this baby)

Why cover your meaning with a cute acronym when you could just post your true feelings and why... "This cache sucks because I hate nano's". Then everyone knows where you stand.

I mean, if you really hate them, just come out and say it.

DCC

And for those REALLY bad ones...TTDOTB! :D:laughing: (two thumbs down on this baby)

:( OK, let's start doing it! :(

Why cover your meaning with a cute acronym when you could just post your true feelings and why... "This cache sucks because I hate nano's". Then everyone knows where you stand.

DCC

Because of what ReadyOrNot posted. It's important to read these posts in order... :o

DCC

While I think snarky logs are juvenile, the only thing more juvenile is to log it with a silly code and then pat yourself on the back for it.

And for those REALLY bad ones...TTDOTB! :laughing::o (two thumbs down on this baby)
:( OK, let's start doing it! :D

DCC

While I think snarky logs are juvenile, the only thing more juvenile is to log it with a silly code and then pat yourself on the back for it.

If people don't log "something honest" then how are others supposed to know that they might not enjoy a particular cache? If they tell the truth the owner deletes their log. :D You are the one that preaches that everyone should read all the cache logs with your "easy peasy" method. I guess "easy peasy" doesn't work in the real world... :( Edited by TrailGators

And for those REALLY bad ones...TTDOTB! :(:( (two thumbs down on this baby)
:laughing: OK, let's start doing it! :D

DCC

If people don't log "something honest" then how are others supposed to know that they might not enjoy a particular cache? If they tell the truth the owner deletes their log. :o You are the one that preaches that everyone should read all the cache logs with your "easy peasy" method. I guess "easy peasy" doesn't work in the real world... :D
I believe that it's possible to be truthful, without being rude. Edited by sbell111

I'd rather everyone logged their true feelings about my caches, it would be humorous to see some of the responses (I've been called sadistic by more than one friend...and even more that don't like me). Some of our caches just aren't for everyone!

Unfortunately, not everyone feels as I do, logging a true feelings for some caches might not go over well. And how would you know either way? Sometimes it's just impossible to be nice..."a great cache out here in this trashpile overlooking the major highway and the local homeless camp! Thanks for the walk amongst the syringes and broken bottles, I almost felt completely safe!" (and yes, I did find one similar to that once)

But yes, that was good for a laugh. :laughing::(:o

For the OP's example cache, how about this:

"I don't generally like locations like the final, but the puzzle was a lot of fun.

Thanks."

Thank You. I think I will change my log.

Maybe I'm not the brightest bulb in the hall, or perhaps I was overcome with emotion, I just could not conceive a civilized way to express my feelings. I feel that your suggestion hit the nail on the head.

PP

:laughing:

For the OP's example cache, how about this:

"I don't generally like locations like the final, but the puzzle was a lot of fun.

Thanks."

Thank You. I think I will change my log.

Maybe I'm not the brightest bulb in the hall, or perhaps I was overcome with emotion, I just could not conceive a civilized way to express my feelings. I feel that your suggestion hit the nail on the head.

PP

Harrumph. You had hurt my feelings! But I'll get over it. :laughing: But, if you'd done mine, you might have appreciated the sarcasm of a mystery cache in a Walmart parking lot.

This is another lame Wal-Mart parking lot cache. A new Wal-Mart opened nearby, so we decided to hide a cache there, before anyone else did. Wait a minute! These coordinates are not for the cache! They're for that parking spot near the door that you always hope to get! Solve the puzzle.

My brother called it one of the lamest caches he's ever seen! :o

My brother, Clan Riffster tells me once before, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Hey, I know that guy! :laughing:

I agree with the concept of honest logs, but not the practice. I'm not well know for my diplomacy skills, and the only way I can come up with to say, "This cache is lame", is to say, "This cache is lame". Since I don't like to say things like that in my online logs, and I can't bring myself to give thanx for a stinker, I just say nothing. As of this writing there are a few dozen caches which I've located, which I've chosen not to log. Maybe it's some inner cowardice... maybe it's just me attempting to be civil. I don't know. I do like sbell's suggestion though. He's a lot more diplomatic than I am. :o

And for those REALLY bad ones...TTDOTB! :lol::lol: (two thumbs down on this baby)
:laughing: OK, let's start doing it! B)

DCC

If people don't log "something honest" then how are others supposed to know that they might not enjoy a particular cache? If they tell the truth the owner deletes their log. :rolleyes: You are the one that preaches that everyone should read all the cache logs with your "easy peasy" method. I guess "easy peasy" doesn't work in the real world... ;)
I believe that it's possible to be truthful, without being rude.
That's why I wrote this in one of my first posts: ;)
So I think we need to start logging our true feelings (in a nice way) about the caches we find in our cache logs to help out our fellow cachers, who may read them in the future. ;)

Hey, I know that guy! :laughing:

I agree with the concept of honest logs, but not the practice. I'm not well know for my diplomacy skills, and the only way I can come up with to say, "This cache is lame", is to say, "This cache is lame". Since I don't like to say things like that in my online logs, and I can't bring myself to give thanx for a stinker, I just say nothing. As of this writing there are a few dozen caches which I've located, which I've chosen not to log. Maybe it's some inner cowardice... maybe it's just me attempting to be civil. I don't know. I do like sbell's suggestion though. He's a lot more diplomatic than I am. :lol:

CR, I know exactly how you feel I've been the samw way. However, if someone logged a cache with an honest but friendly log that said that the area where they found the cache smelled really bad because of a nearby garbage dumpster, wouldn't you appreciate that? They'd be tipping you off (and others too).... :rolleyes:

my favorite snarky code is

it may only be eleven-thirty, but the clams have spoken to the choreographer and they're not feeling so well.

my favorite snarky code is

it may only be eleven-thirty, but the clams have spoken to the choreographer and they're not feeling so well.

You always seem to have an esoteric response. :rolleyes: That was funny... :laughing:

As of this writing there are a few dozen caches which I've located, which I've chosen not to log. Maybe it's some inner cowardice... maybe it's just me attempting to be civil. I don't know. I do like sbell's suggestion though. He's a lot more diplomatic than I am. :rolleyes:

Me too, but this one just kept raking me and eating at me.

I just could not let it go.

If you are reading these wondering what the IYCSSNDSAAA was, it was what I put in my original online log.

I did change it per Sbells suggestion, and I did feel better about it.

Thank You everybody for the feedback and support.

I'm glad it didn't turn into a pit like some threads do.

PP

Sorry Flask, but I do like Comic Sans. :laughing:

Ok I think you should be honest.

How many people are watching the cache?

Even if it is deleted at least everyone who is watching it will know that it is a clever puzzle with the final cache a micro in a carpark.

Sometimes just keeping your log to the point works as well, take out all the emotion, what are you trying to say to the owner.

Cool puzzle shame about the cache.

Oh by the way there are always at least two sides of story.

Imagine if you had just completed a really cool puzzle which took some effort and time on your part to find out to get the final cache and sign the log book involves a five hour hike one way!

(Runs screaming from the room) :rolleyes::laughing:

Oh by the way there are always at least two sides of story.

Imagine if you had just completed a really cool puzzle which took some effort and time on your part to find out to get the final cache and sign the log book involves a five hour hike one way!

(Runs screaming from the room) :rolleyes::laughing:

The terrain rating should be a four star if that was true! :lol:

As of this writing there are a few dozen caches which I've located, which I've chosen not to log. Maybe it's some inner cowardice... maybe it's just me attempting to be civil. I don't know. I do like sbell's suggestion though. He's a lot more diplomatic than I am. :laughing:

If you are reading these wondering what the IYCSSNDSAAA was, it was what I put in my original online log.

PP

Sorry Flask, but I do like Comic Sans. :rolleyes:

that's ok. i don't bother to read the nonstandard fonts. you're probably happier if i don't read what you have to say, anyway.

i'm overdue for my first pair of bifocals, and there are some fonts i just can't read. if you don't mind if i plow through as if i haven't bothered to read anything you say, we're all set.

i will assume that if you wish to speak to me, you will use the standard font.

As of this writing there are a few dozen caches which I've located, which I've chosen not to log. Maybe it's some inner cowardice... maybe it's just me attempting to be civil. I don't know. I do like sbell's suggestion though. He's a lot more diplomatic than I am. :laughing:

PP

Sorry Flask, but I do like Comic Sans. :rolleyes:

Comic Sans is nice but you have to use it about 2x larger than a regular font for legibility.

Personally I think you should use a fuzzier font. Something that matches the fuzz around that clean cut avitar of yours.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I found an absolutely awesome cache that was hidden in a car tire at the base of a big ol' pile of trash... Here's the log I wrote:

Found the dirty old tire! WOW!

They didn't delete my log, so who knows? I wasn't rude, but I wasn't a wuss either.

You did mention that you were not complaining, that's kinda wuss. :rolleyes:

Well, I did wuss out a little bit :P I probably should have said, "What in heavens name were you thinking putting a cache in a dirty tire near a bunch of garbage with rusty metal everywhere? Are you trying to kill my children with your idiotic excuse for a cache?!?!?!?! I think it might be time to find a new hobby... Thanks for the awful cache, didn't dare take anything, left vomit"....

THAT would be honest.

I found an absolutely awesome cache that was hidden in a car tire at the base of a big ol' pile of trash... Here's the log I wrote:

Found the dirty old tire! WOW!

They didn't delete my log, so who knows? I wasn't rude, but I wasn't a wuss either.

You did mention that you were not complaining, that's kinda wuss. :rolleyes:

Well, I did wuss out a little bit :P I probably should have said, "What in heavens name were you thinking putting a cache in a dirty tire near a bunch of garbage with rusty metal everywhere? Are you trying to kill my children with your idiotic excuse for a cache?!?!?!?! I think it might be time to find a new hobby... Thanks for the awful cache, didn't dare take anything, left vomit"....

THAT would be honest.

You could have put TDOTB... :)