Garmin refurb units

Hi,

I am contemplating buying a factory refurbished unit on Ebay.

The seller is an authorized Garmin reseller and sells the units in factory sealed boxes from Garmin. They all come wiht a 1 year warranty from Garmin.

My questions are: Is it worth to buy a factory refurbished unit (usually about $100 to $150 less than the new unit price)? Also, would the warranty be good when sold out of the US?

Thanks,

FayeC

Edited by FayeC

Why not? Factory refurb means it has been checked by someone who should know what they are doing. Check with Garmin website to verify the vendor is still factory authorized. Warranty is always good, but you need to also check with Garmin to verify warranty carries up that way. I would think it should, Garmin does sell into other countries.

My questions are: Is it worth to buy a factory refurbished unit (usually about $100 to $150 less than the new unit price)?

I have had good experience with refurbs in general and two garmin refurbs specifically (a Legend for my daughter and a 60cx for myself).

I'm trying to remember if it is Garmin or another compay, but on something I bought the Co. will not honer warrenty on anything bought on EBAY.

Otherwise, I too have no problems with refurbs from reputable companys.

PP

Hi,

I am contemplating buying a factory refurbished unit on Ebay.

The seller is an authorized Garmin reseller and sells the units in factory sealed boxes from Garmin. They all come wiht a 1 year warranty from Garmin.

My questions are: Is it worth to buy a factory refurbished unit (usually about $100 to $150 less than the new unit price)? Also, would the warranty be good when sold out of the US?

Thanks,

FayeC

Faye

Have you purchased your unit yet and if so how do you like it.

I am considering a refurbished unit for my car and am a bit nervous about it. I usually only buy new and have never bought a used or refurbished anything. However in this case it seems more practical to go with the refurbished.

All the comments in this thread have been positive, anyone else care to chime in?

Thanks

PinkDolphin

I wouldn't be the least concerned about refurbs. They undergo rigorous testing and are quite often more solid and stable than a new unit, which doesn't undergo as strenuous testing. I have had a couple refurbs, and no problems. When I buy wireless gear for home (router, printer, card, etc.) I intentionally buy refurbished gear to save a ton of money. The network is up and running flawlessly for over 2 years now. Yes, refurbs are a bargain. And yes, Garmin will honor warranty from a legitimate ebay seller who is an authorized Garmin dealer.

My refurbed C550 I purchaced from GPSdiscount.com works great. However, I would be very carefull when buying through e-bay. Garmin does not support units purchaced through auctions. If you are not buying through an auction, you should be OK. The link below lists Garmin's authorized online retailers; you may want to verify the seller's claim first.

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/online/onli...IT=Show+Dealers

Edited by Glenn W

I wouldn't worry about buying a refurbished unit. When my 12XL suffered the infamous internal battery problem it was replaced (out of warranty) by Garmin free of charge. The refurbished unit came in a brand new case and was indistinguishable from new. It is still going 3 years later.

From Garmin's site:

Question: Does Garmin have any authorized dealers on eBay or any other online auction site?

Answer:

Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a "buyer beware" basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites. If you buy a Garmin product through an online auction site and later send it to Garmin for service, if the product is determined by Garmin to be stolen merchandise upon receipt at Garmin's facility (through a serial number match), Garmin reserves the right to return the product to its rightful owner or send it to the investigating law enforcement authorities.

Ed

From Garmin's site:

Question: Does Garmin have any authorized dealers on eBay or any other online auction site?

Answer:

Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a "buyer beware" basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites. If you buy a Garmin product through an online auction site and later send it to Garmin for service, if the product is determined by Garmin to be stolen merchandise upon receipt at Garmin's facility (through a serial number match), Garmin reserves the right to return the product to its rightful owner or send it to the investigating law enforcement authorities.

Ed

Refurbished goods are one of the big secrets in consumer electronics devices. Most often, refurbished units are actually absolutely brand new units that have been sent back to the manufacturer from the wholesaler or retailer due to bankruptcy, overstocking, old stock, packaging getting slightly ripped, etc. More often than not you're getting a brand new unit. When you're not getting a brand new unit, you're getting something even better: a unit that's been far more thoroughly tested by the manufacturer, before being sold as refurb, than than new units. Enjoy the savings. I almost always look for refurbished when buying electronics.

Thank you all for your reply. I am almost ready to make the purchase, I would buy from an authorized on line dealer. I have gone out caching with others who have the car units that "talks to you" and they are so awesome I can see lots of value in it for me even when not caching. (I have been known to get lost driving home from work if I have to take an alternate route).