Forming a Metro NY Group?

buttaskotch

anyone out there ever thing about getting a local group together for metro NY?

NYC, LI, Westchester.

Good name would be Gotham Cachers

LI already has LIGO (though I guess if NEPA has both "Pocono cachers" and NEPAG a region can be in 2 clubs :unsure:), but it would be interesting, always been surprised there's not an active NYC and/or Westchester group (maybe include Rockland and perhaps Putnam counties too?). Like the "Gotham Cachers" name.....

Still in the organizing stage,and up and running..NEPAG.

Northeast Pa geocachers ...Luzerne, Lackawanna,Bradford,Susquahanna, Pike, Wayne, Monroe, Carbon,Columbia,and Sullivan Countys.

events are already in the works Come check things out :(

http://nepageocachers.org

Based on what I've seen in the forums (have looked because come by the area a couple of times/year) and event listingd, I think you guys have really gotten off the ground in a short time and good work! (Would've never know of GORGE-ous Ricketts Glen State Park were it not for your group, even though we missed the event). Good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I split the above two posts out from the pinned thread about Geo-organizations. Per the instructions, the pinned thread should be used ONLY for listing established organizations, in order to reduce clutter. Please start a new thread for discussion topics. Thanks.

Sounds good as I have been looking for others to go out with in this area ( nyc) and thats if I can find some time to go out.I have had the pleasure to cache with Bayonets4u and WRR and it was great experience for me.Please keep me posted if this ever comes together.

Edited by tomflushing

Dolphin and Bear will be attending the Third annual Manhattan Proto-Picnic. WE haven't missed one yet! Dang! We've cleared Manhattan of geocaches three times, and still have seven to go! Great to see all the new caches. But, sorry. Not interested in joining the club. I live thirty-five miles west. We just keep trying to clear AB's Ten-Mile List!

For a place as big as New York City, I'm actually suprised that there isn't already a caching organization of some kind. I was out with buttaskotch today and we were talking about how there should be a NYC group. There are 32 users/families/teams attending the proto picnic (GC13FKG) as of right now in 20 days. Why don't we all figure out how to keep getting at least 32 people together every month somewhere in the city and create a community. It's probably a lot better than just seeing text on a computer screen. What do you guys think?

For a place as big as New York City, I'm actually suprised that there isn't already a caching organization of some kind. I was out with buttaskotch today and we were talking about how there should be a NYC group. There are 32 users/families/teams attending the proto picnic (GC13FKG) as of right now in 20 days. Why don't we all figure out how to keep getting at least 32 people together every month somewhere in the city and create a community. It's probably a lot better than just seeing text on a computer screen. What do you guys think?

New York City is a very hard place to put caches that last or don't set off the bomb squads.

Edited by avroair

I made a push awhile ago to make a geocaching organization in nyc. it failed. It has proven to be difficult, and i believe there were attempts before mine. back then though there where not as many cachers in New York as there are currently. I am all for the idea, and hope that it sticks. Although there are a lot of caches in Parks that that aren't really urban, there are several cachers who truly make an effort to participate in urban caching. i believe that we have a great resource here, and should use it to do urban caching and not try to conform to what the rest of our geocaching buddies are doing across the country. I think it would be great to have a community of people dedicated to the sport of urban caching.

the thing that's bothering me right now is actually coming up with an approximate number of cachers that might come and finding an appropriate place to go and have a large group of people. i don't want to plan on 20 people showing up and going somewhere that can't handle 50. you know what i mean?

i think i'm just going to make an event for the end of september and post the coords for times square and see how many people say they'll attend and then update the coords to a somewhere that can handle that many people and a few extra. what do you guys think of that?

I think it would probably be best to choose a place in Central Park. The date also directly affect the number of people who will show up. I know from experience attending NYC events that there are quite a few "silent" cachers, but in addition to that, many of the guests are not NYC cachers per say, but cachers from around the general area. Also keep in mind that meeting in too open of a place where there are usually a lot of people is not a good idea becuase we look pretty suspicion when we meet :cool: ...we have our own lingo and what not. The last thing we want is some paranoid tourist calling the cops on us...i think meeting in a park where we can just chill is probably the best bet, but i would strongly encourage a date to be set. I can say for a fact right now that i will not be able to attend the event because i will be at school, but i am still very interested in being a member of the organization. I can not express how excited i am that there may be a New York City caching organization! :cool:

I think it would probably be best to choose a place in Central Park. The date also directly affect the number of people who will show up. I know from experience attending NYC events that there are quite a few "silent" cachers, but in addition to that, many of the guests are not NYC cachers per say, but cachers from around the general area. Also keep in mind that meeting in too open of a place where there are usually a lot of people is not a good idea becuase we look pretty suspicion when we meet :blink: ...we have our own lingo and what not. The last thing we want is some paranoid tourist calling the cops on us...i think meeting in a park where we can just chill is probably the best bet, but i would strongly encourage a date to be set. I can say for a fact right now that i will not be able to attend the event because i will be at school, but i am still very interested in being a member of the organization. I can not express how excited i am that there may be a New York City caching organization! :ph34r:

I live in Suffolk County but I work in Manhattan 3 days a week. I'd love to be part of a metro group, although my participation would be directly related to my work schedule. I don't have a regular schedule, but when I work 2 or 3 days in a row I try to stay in town somewhere between shifts.

You probably all know that Mile Runner is a tremendous asset to the geocaching community already, putting in a lot of time and energy attending to distressed or neglected caches from Manhattan to the south fork of LI. Any venture he is a part of has a good chance for success!

Edited by hukilaulau