Can I connect my gpsmap 60csx to my laptop

You cannot reproduce your GPS screen on the laptop but with some free software from Garmin (nRoute and Spanner)you can use your laptop. You will need to have your MapSource maps installed on the laptop too.

Edit: Actually you should only require nRoute to work with MapSource. Spanner is used if you want to use your GPS with a USB connection for software that requires NMEA input like MicroSoft Streets and Trips

Edited by PDOP's

Thanks very much - just what I needed to know.

"Brings Garmin's award-winning auto-routing navigation to your laptop, utilizing the larger screen to display a large map and easy-to-read directions.

Performs turn-by-turn route assistance and previewing, including spoken turn reminders and automatic recalculation when off-route. "

You should also be able to do it the same way that I do . . . I use M$ Streets & Trips on my laptop. It recognizes my GPSr when connected through my serial/USB cable. NOTE: Programs like GSAK want the interface mode set to GARMIN, while MS S&T wants NIMEA In/Out for an interface.

I'm sure there are several mapping programs that will allow you to do this.

Cool thing to do with M$ S&T . . . Using GSAK, I 'EXPORT' 'Microsoft Streets & Trips Text File' with my selected geocaches. Import that into M$ S&T. While I drive I have my moving map AND nearest geocaches to my route. Can be a big help in navigating to a cache.

JohnTee

I have a similar set-up to what you are wanting. I have tried both MS S&T and nRoute and would suggest sticking with nRoute. Much more versatile for Geocaching.

Here is my set-up.

Laptop

60CS

Mapsource City Select

Mapsource Topo

nRoute

GPS Gate

GSAK

Bluetooth cable from Semsons

Laptop Mount in Truck

The power cable I have allows me to connect via Bluetooth while to my PC as well as power (not charge) the GPS. It can be had at Semsons who are extremely helpful, even in getting other software set up that is not supported by the author.

The only weak link in the whole set-up is GPSGate. It is a horribly temperamental program that seems to never quite made it out of beta. Combine that with poor support and an author who doesn't even understand the program, and it is just a "treat" to get set-up. Unfortunately, it is the only thing I have found to do this.

It allows virtual com ports, so if you do not require GSAK or other programs talking to your laptop at the same time, you won't have to use it. I use GSAK, nRoute and NetStumbler all simultaneously.

I simply Alt-Tab between my mapping program and GSAK. With GSAK seeing the GPS, I can quickly look for the nearest cache. nRoute allows you to label the caches with their number as well as terr and some other limited info. All this is done through GSAK.

It takes a little bit to get it set-up, especially with the aforementioned, but once you do it is a great set-up, especially when traveling.

If you decide to go this route, I may be able to offer some help or suggestions.

Edited by baloo&bd

Personally, I don't consider that a good thing. My GPS can run 12+ hours on batteries. My laptop on batteries, maybe 4 hours.

Buy a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter that plugs into the car cigarette lighter/power tap and you can run your laptop as long as you want and switch between car provided power and laptop battery power at any time. Keeps both the laptop and the GPS thru the USB charged/powered while on a road trip.