Million Marker Map

ArtMan

With about three-quarters of a million benchmarks in the Geocaching database, this entry on The Map Room blog caught my eye.

I don't pretend to understand the Google Maps API, but obviously some of you do. Apparently, there are constraints on the size of the dataset that you can link to and display on Google Maps.

Maciej Ceglowski and Jason Williams have developed a Flash-based architecture that, if all goes will, will work around the limitations and enable the display of very large datasets through Google Maps, while at the same time providing some usability enhancements. Their demo with technical notes shows 27,000 New York City restaurants.

It still appears to be very much a work in progress, but it might be of interest to those working on their own Google Maps mashups.

I heartily recommend The Map Room, a blog with many interesting posts about GIS, GPS, cartography, and mapping in general.

-ArtMan-