Partner wanted...

I'm itching to do this one, due to my Cold War fascination. But I'd need a partner - I'm not averse to geocaching alone at all, but this one does look unwise to attempt alone, should anything go wrong.

Anyone else up for it? I can make it to the nearest area with public transport for meeting up, and I'm free for a sizable chunk of the summer as I'm between jobs. Get in touch!

Lee

Having done this one a few months ago, I'd say it's not overly dangerous to do alone, if you're careful and in good shape.
Is there much danger of getting trapped inside?
Only if someone puts something heavy on the access hatch while you're down there. And you should be able to get a mobile signal out from just below the hatch. Slipping and hurting yourself is the only real danger.

I think I could be that person. There are a few caches in that area I haven't done and travel to my neck of the woods will be fairly easy for you. Contact me through my profile if you are interested.

Oss!

Great! Check your inbox. :ph34r:

Checked and nothing! No email; no PM.

It's 'cos I've not done it yet. :( But I will!

Did it by myself..........what's the problem?

I did let another cacher know that I was doing it though.

Its very straight forward and nearly a cache and dash.

I don't think it is a case of bravado but more commonsense and safety. I have done a fair number of caches where 2 people made more sense. In fact, out with drsolly yesterday, we had a DNF/Note at Swing Lower in Oxford. Although we did not venture onto the wet stuff, drsolly nearly suffered serious injury, if not worse, because of an accident.

It's more a matter of: "better to be safe, than sorry". SP pointed out the possibility of slipping and falling.

Oss!

I don't think it is a case of bravado but more commonsense and safety. I have done a fair number of caches where 2 people made more sense. In fact, out with drsolly yesterday, we had a DNF/Note at Swing Lower in Oxford. Although we did not venture onto the wet stuff, drsolly nearly suffered serious injury, if not worse, because of an accident.

It's more a matter of: "better to be safe, than sorry". SP pointed out the possibility of slipping and falling.

Oss!

I'm generally very confident and happy to do most things alone, but I'd much rather do this one with someone else. It just seems wiser. I also don't have my own transport, and this one isn't particularly easy to get to.

If you're happy doing something like this alone, then fine, but if not...well, you know...it's important that whatever you're doing, you feel confident and safe about it.

Lee

Oss!

I'm generally very confident and happy to do most things alone, but I'd much rather do this one with someone else. It just seems wiser. I also don't have my own transport, and this one isn't particularly easy to get to.

If you're happy doing something like this alone, then fine, but if not...well, you know...it's important that whatever you're doing, you feel confident and safe about it.

Lee

Oss!

Lee

Oss!

In the event, I escaped wioth a few bramble scratches and nettle stings. My foot went through the decking of the old bridge

I think that in anywhere that's remotely hazardous, it makes sense not to go alone. What could be very minor if you've got someone with you, could be quite nasty iof you're all alone. For example, what if I'd crashed right through and fallen in the water? With my mobile phone underwater, would I have been able to phone for help?

In the case of the cache under discussion - I've done that cache, fairly recently, and I wouldn't categorise it as dangerous. But you do have to climb down a ladder, and if you do slip and fall, and wind up at the bottom with an injury that prevents you from climbing back up (even just a badly sprained ankle), you *really* do want someone at the top who can call for help.

Regardless of the risks and a total disregard for my own safety I enjoy caching alone, but yeah I always tell atleast one person where I am going and what time I'll make contact.

You are more organised than me as I rarely know where I'm going. :(

As a lone cacher I've not come a serious cropper yet, but have slipped up a few times :D .

Realistically we should all take as much care as possible and ideally have a second person nearby.

As for telling someone at home or equally remote where you are going, that is only as good as the communication equipment or methods. When do they raise an alarm?

• Hours after you should have returned home.
  • When they can't contact you (erroneous if equipment fails)

Neither are as good as having a second person nearby. :laughing::o:( things happen so quickly!

There's several reasons why I'm not entirely comfortable doing this one alone. In assessing risk, there are two main things you need to consider - the likelihood of an accident occuring, and its consequences.

In this case, the likelihood is very low. I don't think it's inherently dangerous. However, looking at worst-case scenarios, the consequences could be rather nasty. If you were to fall from the top of the ladder to the bottom, there's a high likelihood that you'd break something, including bones and/or your mobile. There's also a likelihood - bringing Sod's Law into account - that you'd land in the one tiny space where mobiles don't work. And there's a possibility - with it being in a fairly remote area - that no-one would find you for ages. Yes, I accept that this is highly unlikely to happen, and I'd do this alone if it was a choice between doing it alone or not doing it at all, but I'd feel much happier doing this one in company.

Apart from anything else, my wife would do her nut if I went somewhere like this alone, and I can't say I blame her.

Lee

There's several reasons why I'm not entirely comfortable doing this one alone. In assessing risk, there are two main things you need to consider - the likelihood of an accident occuring, and its consequences.
I did this cache a few months ago... alone.

Now must admit I didn't, as frequently I don't, read all the cache page/instructions thoroughly enough :rolleyes: It was only when logging my find I realised the recommendation about not doing this alone. Nobody knew where I was, I doubt if the mobile would have worked at the bottom and I had no light. When descending my heart jumped when I heard he wind blowing above... if that hatch slammed closed I could have in there for days... or more :P

So yes, I'd think this is definitely a pair/team cache. BTW, my thanks to thehoomer for keeping this cache alive :)

Jon

I haven't done the cache so don't know it well, but from the cache description it would seem sensible to do it with someone else.

I've only scared myself once - I was caching alone in a fairly innocuous Dorset wood and suddenly both legs disappeared in soft mud up to past the top of my wellies. I managed to free myself, but I could easily have been stuck. I knew I had both a whistle and my mobile phone in my geocache bag if I needed them.

I'm itching to do this one, due to my Cold War fascination. But I'd need a partner - I'm not averse to geocaching alone at all, but this one does look unwise to attempt alone, should anything go wrong.

Anyone else up for it? I can make it to the nearest area with public transport for meeting up, and I'm free for a sizable chunk of the summer as I'm between jobs. Get in touch!

Lee

As the cache setters, we are deeply concerned that people have attempted this cache alone. Dont misunderstand me, I know we are living in a nanny state but this cache does have several potentially dangerous aspects. Think about it guys..... how would Thehoomer feel if something bad happened to someone down there? Ill tell you, partially responsible! Depending on the day and time and as we only live 5 minutes away, we would be happy to meet any cachers who want to do go down there. We promise not to close the lid (for a small fee)!!!

As the cache setters, we are deeply concerned that people have attempted this cache alone. Dont misunderstand me, I know we are living in a nanny state but this cache does have several potentially dangerous aspects. Think about it guys..... how would Thehoomer feel if something bad happened to someone down there? Ill tell you, partially responsible! Depending on the day and time and as we only live 5 minutes away, we would be happy to meet any cachers who want to do go down there. We promise not to close the lid (for a small fee)!!!

I'm glad you feel a sense of responsibility about this. I think it's very important when setting a cache that you consider any potential hazards, and warn visitors about them. While ultimately it's not your fault if anyone has an accident, I can understand why you'd feel partially to blame if it happens.

My own caches are in safer places, but I did try to consider whether people were at risk looking for them. I recently came across the general area of a cache that had used syringes around it. My children were itching to go and scout around in the bushes for the cache, but there's no way I was letting them loose in there. You have to think about what the worst (however unlikely) consequences of your cache might be, and plan around them.

Lee