Ton of questions

Here are a series of questions regarding my Venture CX.

1. I have seen print screens directly from the screen of a GPSr. Is there some software that allows to screen capture on the GPSr?

2. I have added a 1 gig card to my GPSr. What map software do I need to add to it to get turn by turn directions?

3. If I wanted to use my laptop and the GPSr together could I use cheaper software on my computer to do turn by turn directions? What cheaper mapping program would you suggest? Are there talking turn by turn programs for laptops?

4. I have seen Garmin map programs for sale with a USB GPS. If I purchased this instead of the software alone, would I still be able to install it on my GPSr? (HERE IS THE LINK TO THIS PRODUCT:

[ Amazon link removed by moderator - we don't allow referrals in URLs here ]

5. What is the difference in City Navigator and Metroguide? What are the advantages of each?

6. What is POI Loader?

7. What program can I use to enter Coordinates via my computer and then send it to the GPSr?

Edited by robertlipe

1. I have seen print screens directly from the screen of a GPSr. Is there some software that allows to screen capture on the GPSr?

Ximage. Download from garmin's website

2. I have added a 1 gig card to my GPSr. What map software do I need to add to it to get turn by turn directions?

In the USA, City Navigator North America or CN North America NT.

3. If I wanted to use my laptop and the GPSr together could I use cheaper software on my computer to do turn by turn directions? What cheaper mapping program would you suggest? Are there talking turn by turn programs for laptops?

Yes, Metroguide North America would do this. There may be other but I'm not a US expert.

4. I have seen Garmin map programs for sale with a USB GPS. If I purchased this instead of the software alone, would I still be able to install it on my GPSr? (HERE IS THE LINK TO THIS PRODUCT:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Deluxe-Sensor...240&sr=1-40

That depends.... The older CN version would allow you to unlock it for your handheld with a second unlock code. The new version only allows one unlock code.

5. What is the difference in City Navigator and Metroguide? What are the advantages of each?

Auto-routing versus no auto-routing on teh GPSr. Metroguide can be made ruotable with a hack. Search for Metrowizz.

6. What is POI Loader?

It loads "Custom POIs" to the units micro SD card. These are similar to waypoints, but a little different.

7. What program can I use to enter Coordinates via my computer and then send it to the GPSr?

There are lots of programs to do this. See http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/ or the FAQ at the top of these forums.

<snip>

I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), but until you become a Premium Member, with access to the .gpx files and Pocket Queries, EasyGPS will work just fine.

If you do become a Premium Member, you will get a lot more information in the .gpx files and then, using GSAK, you can create informative waypoint names. Also, in conjunction with Garmin's POI loader, you can put a lot of information in the Comments section of the waypoints.

You've got a lot to learn . . . :ninja: But, it'll be fun . . . :)

Edit for typo . . .

Edited by Miragee

Can I use POI loader to get around the 500 waypoint limit?

Yes. You can put as much in as your card will hold. Thousands. But they are now POI's, not waypoints so they act different. No little geochest and found-chest. You will have to play with the settings to see them on the mapping if you want to see more than just the one you have as a 'goto'.