Mapsource Topo 2008

Garmin just told me that unlike the original Topo (which came on three CDs) Topo 2008 installs from a single DVD all the regions (US, Alaska, Hawaii) to the hard drive. It takes approximately 4 Gig of hard drive space.

Wow; that's a lot of space taken up for regions I'll never use.

Perhaps--but with HD sizes increasing every year, 4 GB becomes less of a load. If you have a 150 GB hard drive (normal for laptops these days), it takes up less than 3% of your HD capacity. You can reduce the load by buying a used US Topo v. 3 on eBay. It runs from CD, so there is minimal load on your system.

You end up with a BUNCH of *.img files on your HDD after installing US2008. It'd be tedious, but if you really wanted, you can figure out which files you DO want, and delete the rest....not sure if MapSource would be happy with that if it can't find the file, but at least you'll have all that drive space available!

You end up with a BUNCH of *.img files on your HDD after installing US2008. It'd be tedious, but if you really wanted, you can figure out which files you DO want, and delete the rest....not sure if MapSource would be happy with that if it can't find the file, but at least you'll have all that drive space available!

You can add the registry entry "PartialInstall=1" for the map product to make MapSource happy if you delete any .img files.

Here's a slightly different question. AFter installing T2008, I still have a list of the old products in the product dropdown list in Mapsource. I see "US Topo - West", "US Topo - East", "US Topo - Hawaii", and so forth. Do you know how I can remove these products from the dropdown list? Is there an .ini file or something similar that can be edited?

Here's a slightly different question. AFter installing T2008, I still have a list of the old products in the product dropdown list in Mapsource. I see "US Topo - West", "US Topo - East", "US Topo - Hawaii", and so forth. Do you know how I can remove these products from the dropdown list? Is there an .ini file or something similar that can be edited?

I believe I remember from first playing around with cypherman's MapSetToolkit if you "uninstall" a mapset in the MapSetToolkit it will remove it from the drop down list in Mapsource. You could try that and see what happens, simple to try. I doubt that this removes them from your PC and I would want them completely uninstalled if I weren't going to use the older version any more. Maybe someone with a lot more expertise will jump in here with more info.

Just as you could modify the registry to have the old US Topo run from the HD, you could modify the registry to have Topo 2008 run from the DVD. Depending on how the files are stored on the original DVD you may have to write a DVD with the .img files on it.

Is this a complicated registry hack? I've searched for it, but been unable to find it. I was thinking about getting Topo 2008, but installing the whole thing to the hard drive would be a show stopper for me. I'm a Mac user, so I run Windows via Parallels -- which means I only have about a 7 GB hard drive for my whole Windows installation. No way I can take 4 GB of that up with maps.

Putting the maps on your HD is not all that hard or complicated. Just follow the directions that you find here and your'll be fine. I have my laptop and desktop set up to read the topo maps from their respective HD's. No need to worry about putting in the disc.

Of course if you don't want to use up the HD space on your PC, then this option is not something you would want to do.

When I get around to getting Topo 2008, I'll be adding it to the HD of both systems. I'll probably delete the older versions of Topo since I really won't need them any more.

I might leave them on my desktop though since it has a much larger HD and I might want to compare the differences in the maps.

And, if you already had the old Topo USA, there is an additional $30 rebate. That makes your total $46!

Where did you find that information. Is it included in the TOPO 2008 DVD?

Thanks!

Dave

Just click on the View Product Rebates button

So, no need to do the registry thinga-ma-bob like with the older 3-disc set then?

Correct. It installs the program (MapSource) and all the maps on the HD from the word go.

(edited for clarity)

And there is no option not to do this? I run Windows on a virtual hard drive from within a Mac, so I don't have 3 GB worth of space to store the maps. If there's no way to avoid installing all the maps, then I guess I'll be skipping this product.

So, no need to do the registry thinga-ma-bob like with the older 3-disc set then?

Correct. It installs the program (MapSource) and all the maps on the HD from the word go.

(edited for clarity)

And there is no option not to do this? I run Windows on a virtual hard drive from within a Mac, so I don't have 3 GB worth of space to store the maps. If there's no way to avoid installing all the maps, then I guess I'll be skipping this product.

As far as I know, no. Now I am sure that some more technically savvy people than I am may tell you differently or know a workaround. Kinda funny, but one of the biggest complaints people had about the old Topo USA was that it did not install on the HD and they had to carry the disks around, or do the registry hack.