Etrex Vista HCX and loading multiple types of maps on a SD card

Ok I ordered the Etrex Vista HCX. With a 2 GB chip can I load the West US in topo, the west coast in city nav, and a Puget Sound blue chart? That is if, I can split the maps to the W.coast to save space on the SD card.

If the programs will allow me to take the W.Coast only, would I have all three types usable on one card? Or would I have to carry multiple cards for The 3 different map types?

Seeing as I am 99% of the time only on the W.Coast there really is no reason for me to load the entire US.

You can load multiple mapsets, but you can only see one at a time. Garmin always default to show the map with the highest detail (City Nav covers Topo). To see other maps, with the map screen showing, hit menu, setup, and the list of maps you've loaded will be shown. Hit menu again and hide the map you dont want to see.

I have maps segments from City Nav 8, Topo 2008 and Inland Lakes loaded on 1 GB cards in my 76CSx and Legend Cx. It is just a matter of switching to the right map when you need it. I use the CN for driving, Topo for hiking and Inland Lakes for kayaking and never have to change cards or GPSs.

You can load multiple mapsets, but you can only see one at a time. Garmin always default to show the map with the highest detail (City Nav covers Topo). To see other maps, with the map screen showing, hit menu, setup, and the list of maps you've loaded will be shown. Hit menu again and hide the map you dont want to see.

I loaded several different maps on my Vista HCx using map source. Use Mapinstall program in Mapsource. Choose your mapset at the bottom, highlight the maps you want, go back to bottom and choose your next desired mapset, it will come up, highlight the maps you want from it. Continue to add different stuff, you'll see the bar graph on the right side grow. When you have highlighted all the separate maps you want, hit next, it should prompt you to load.

Edited by Junkman_05