Trouble with creating pocket query along a route

swala

I am following the directions to upload the route from Google Earth but it says to save the file as KML file, but my only choices are 'page source' or 'web archive' I've tried both, but when I try to upload it nothing happens and I never get the message "save selected routes" that it says I should get. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

You don't want to save from Google Earth. Google Earth is what you're uploading to. Here's how to demo the process.

Go to the 'Caches along a Route' page and select one of the links on the right. It doesn't matter which one. You will be taken to a second page. Look at the bottom of the 'Route Information' section. You will have three choices: (1) Create Pocket Query, (2) Create Pocket Query, or (3) Create KML of Route. You can actually select (2) or (3), but (3) is a little easier to load into Google Earth, since it defaults to KML files.

So, create your KML file. Now, launch Google Earth and select File > Oprn. Navigate to your KML file and open it. The route and caches along the route will appear in Google Earth.

Thanks, but when I go to the caches along a route page, I don't see any links to the right. There are 2 choices, 'find routes' and 'clear results.' Neither one takes me to a page that has a 'route information section.'

Sorry, I'm clueless

What browser do you use? When I go to that page, I see several links on the right. There are tabs at the top for

"Search for Existing Routes"

"Search by Keyword"

"Upload GPX / KML"

If you click on the Upload GPX / KML tab, you are presented with a blank where you can upload the saved .kml file you created in Google Earth.

Edit for typo . . .

Edited by Miragee

My browser is safari. Now I'm even more confused. Imajeep, the previous reply, said that I'm not supposed to save from google earth. As I said in my first post, I don't know how to tell if I am saving it as a KML file, I've gotten to the part where I save it and upload it, but nothing seems to happen and I never get the message that says "save selected routes."

Okay, I'm opening GE to check it out. I'll . . be . . . . back . . . . (slow dialup connection, so this could take a while) . . . :laughing:

Well, that didn't take as long as I thought. I created a route from San Diego to Tucson. Then I went to File/Save

In that dialogue box, I had a choice to "Save Place As"

I saved it with the .kml extension.

I presume I could now upload that 28 KB file to the "Caches Along a Route" option . . . :anibad:

Edited by Miragee

I suggest a more careful reading of the instructions at the Pocket Query web page. You create the data with Google Earth and then save a very specific element that is created by the GE route generator. You do this by finding that item in the list, and right-clicking on it and save to a kml file.

Note that are tons of posts right now indicating that the feature is broken and just limping along. You might not be able to get it to work for you. But you might get lucky.

Edited by Hynr

I'll try this..........

When you run the route in Google Earth, at the very top of the directions on the left, above the part with the boxes, right click there and use the "save as" option. For me, this opens a save box, choose your name and select "kml" at the bottom. I save to "My Documents" so I can find it quickly.

Now go to Geocaching.com and find the upload link.

PLease note, lately on the previews, the blue route line has been out of whack, wandering around the map like a blue-hair on the expressway. Don't worry, it still returns the right caches.