Getting High in the Olympics

luckykoi

I'm thinking of placing a challenge cache just for the Olympic Mountains. My initial idea is to include all caches on the Olympic Peninsula that are at 2,000 feet and above. But I won't make it a requirement to find every cache. I want this to be a little bit easier then some of the other challenge caches out there.

Here is the starting bookmark list for this challenge.

Please tell me what other caches are above 2,000 feet on the Peninsula, I'm sure there are more then I have listed.

I will not exclude caches that are part of other challenges.

Oh good a typo in the topic and I can't delete it.. oh well..

Edited by luckykoi

Thanks. So far the one on Marmot Pass seems to be the highest. Maybe one should be put on on top of Mount Buckhorn.

I'd like to put one on top of Mount Stone, it's the highest point in Mason County but I'm afraid to travel cross country alone and the rock climbing there might be too much for me.

Edited by luckykoi

Thanks. So far the one on Marmot Pass seems to be the highest. Maybe one should be put on on top of Mount Buckhorn.

If I'm not mistaken, the Marmot Pass cache is actually closer to the top of Buckhorn than it is to the actual pass. I haven't been up there since that cache was put in there, but that's the impression I've always had. I suppose Criminal or some finder could clear that up.

If I'm not mistaken, the Marmot Pass cache is actually closer to the top of Buckhorn than it is to the actual pass. I haven't been up there since that cache was put in there, but that's the impression I've always had. I suppose Criminal or some finder could clear that up.

I've found it, it's not on the summit but about halfway between the pass and the summit. The summit according to my topo map is .4 of a mile way from the cache.

I've found it, it's not on the summit but about halfway between the pass and the summit. The summit according to my topo map is .4 of a mile way from the cache.

Buckhorn would be pretty far up the list in the WA challenge, too. I had thought I wouldn't do Marmot Pass until next summer, but maybe I should hump a cache up there for Buckhorn this year.

Edited by Bull Moose

Buckhorn would be pretty far up the list in the WA challenge, too. I had thought I wouldn't do Marmot Pass until next summer, but maybe I should hump a cache up there for Buckhorn this year.

That would be great. I need some more motivation to go up there. Buckhorn was the first peak I ever bagged and it was only 5 years ago but I had never heard of peak bagging at the time. It was my second hike with the PWC and I had no idea that it ended on top of a mountain.

I had looked over at Buck horn and the other Oly mountains for years when I lived in Seattle and not being a hiker I wondered if it was even possible to sit on top of those peaks.

It just blew me away to be sitting on top of Mount Buckhorn looking back at Seattle.

I tried to go up it again a year or two later but I had to go to a memorial service for my Grandma that day instead.

Last year I tried to go up but it was foggy and I was just not in good enough shape for it.

So maybe I'll do it this year if you put a cache up there! Too bad the terracache is gone from up there, maybe you should put a terracache up there too. :laughing:

The problem for me is finding two days. I seem to remember being glad I camped at the pass instead of doing it all in one day.

Then again, that could be because I carried 45 pounds of gear to the pass, which I wouldn't have to do if I didn't camp.

In that case I might beat you to it. I know I'm in shape for it after my Mount Jupiter hike yesterday!

I might do the high divide loop for my next day hike. I feel like I'm just about ready to take on anything after yesterday.

The problem for me is finding two days. I seem to remember being glad I camped at the pass instead of doing it all in one day.

Then again, that could be because I carried 45 pounds of gear to the pass, which I wouldn't have to do if I didn't camp.

In that case I might beat you to it. I know I'm in shape for it after my Mount Jupiter hike yesterday!

I might do the high divide loop for my next day hike. I feel like I'm just about ready to take on anything after yesterday.

Find, hide... either way is fine with me. :laughing:

Find, hide... either way is fine with me. :P

I'd rather find them then hide them but there are so few caches in my area that I do a lot of hiding. At one point I had 2 hides and only 1 find... :P

I have 4-5 caches all ready to do with logs books and swag and ideas of where to place them but sometimes I think I put out too many caches and try to hold myself back.

If I do this highest Olympic Caches thing maybe more caches will be put out in my area or maybe they will all be put out in Port Angeles.. :lol: