Man dies on Mt. Jupiter Trail

shunra

http://ptleader.com/main.asp?Search=1&...tionID=&S=1

A 35-year-old Silverdale man died suddenly on Mount Jupiter Trail, south of Brinnon off U.S. Highway 101, late Saturday evening, July 14, while hiking with companions.

According to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, after reaching the mountain summit, the man began to experience problems on his descent and lost consciousness. His companions attempted CPR but were unable to revive him. They called 911 from a cell phone, and Jefferson Search and Rescue (JSAR) was dispatched to the scene around 7:30 p.m., accompanied by deputies from the sheriff's office.

The man was pronounced dead by a deputy coroner from the sheriff's office, who was accompanied to the scene by a team of volunteer searchers from JSAR. The search and rescue team transported the deceased through the night and into the early morning hours until the terrain became much too treacherous to continue on foot, thus jeopardizing the rescuers' safety.

A helicopter from the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office came to the aid of JSAR and airlifted the man from a clearing below the trail. The helicopter had to make several attempts before successfully retrieving the deceased due to inclement weather and fog. The helicopter crew then transferred him to a representative of the funeral home at a nearby landing zone in Brinnon.

The all-volunteer team from Jefferson Search and Rescue had just completed a five-hour training mission in swift-water rescue awareness that morning in Brinnon at the Duckabush River. Twelve members of JSAR assisted in the rescue operation and invested more than 250 man hours retrieving the deceased.

Several members of the sheriff's office also assisted in the operation, which began around 7:30 p.m. July 14 and was completed around 2:30 p.m. July 15.

The Penninsula news calls it a "possible coronary".

I hiked up there alone and in the fog yesterday. While I was hiking up I could not help wondering where the body spent the night and where it was hoisted up. I tried to keep my mind on the two caches up there instead.

I can see why the fog gave them trouble, this is what the trail head looked like

a528c6d3-b850-4605-8e3a-9c7d48a4a546.jpg

My condolences to the family.

Edited by luckykoi

That's sad. 35 is awfully young to die. He must have been in fair physical shape to make it to the top. Of course, it could have just been too much. Know your limits, I guess.

Some friends and I almost hiked that hill Saturday, but decided to do Mt. Townsend instead. We might have been caught up in the rescue.

Wait... That was Friday. So we would have been a day early. What day is it? Where am I? Law school rots the brain. :laughing: