4GB microSDHC card for Vista HCx

2 GB is probably the limit.

This is from Garmin's Web site (FAQ link from the Vista HCx page.

"Question: What is the largest size microSD card that I can use in my X-series GPS unit?

Answer: At this time, the 2 GB cards are the largest microSD cards that can be used for the X-series GPS units. However, the X-series GPS units are not compatible with the San Disk Ultra II cards and therefore we do not recommend using the Ultra II micro SD cards with any of the X units.

Last modified on: 06/01/2007"

Edited by Brainerd

Why do you need a 4 GB? I bought the 1 GB and my entire western USA topo disk is on 565 MB. My understanding is that you cant load more than 1 set of maps on to an SD card. Is there a way for me to put more on it? Can you put the topo and the streets on the same one?

Thanks for the info.

Reb, I don't know of any reason that you couldn't load up TOPO and City Navigator map sets all on the same card and just choose whichever you needed at the time. That's actually the reason I was asking about the 4GB cards. I think that you could only view one at a time (and I say that because when I have TOPO map sets active, the base map information, like gas stations, etc is not available until I turn off the TOPO maps), but I'd be nice to have both sets available if you need them.

I often go on hiking trips where my buddies and I drive out of state. It sure would be nice to have the city info for the car, and the topo info for the trail all loaded on my GSPr.

Of course, I could just buy another 2GB card and load the other maps on there, but with companies coming out with 6GB and 8GB cards this year, it's a shame that we would have to tote around 3 different cards with 3 different map sets on them. Maybe it's something Garmin can address later with an update. *crosses fingers* :laughing:

Edited by igr00ve

You can load both city maps and topo, but there is a 2025 map segment limit, so you could load all of the US of city navigator NT or V8 and still have a bit of room and segments available on a 2gb card. I don't think there is any way you can load the whole US of both though.

I really wish they had made the new H-series units compatible with the new HC (high capacity) card standard. I would love to have a 4GB card in my Vista HCx, then I could load street maps of US, Canada, Europe, and Australia all on one world-ready unit. For now the best you can get is US/Canada/Western Europe.

The question should be asked to support@gamin.com, they will tell us if the new series was designed to be compatible with new high capacity card. Now that 2GB is common and 4GB is soon to be they should have had this in mind but the eTrex series is also a lower end segment so they could have decided to keep that for higher end.

Alright, I've sent an email to Garmin support. This is what I've asked...

"Hello, I received my Vista HCx earlier this week and have a question about the memory card. With 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB microSDHC coming out later this year, will this unit (or any unit for that matter) support the HC (high capacity) memory cards? If not, will you be able to add support for them with an update, or are we stuck with 2GB maximum? If so, is there a limit to the amount of memory the units will support (for instance, when 16GB, 32GB, or lager cards are available in the coming year)."

I'll report back when I get an answer.

I finally got an answer from Garmin on this. Here's what they said...

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Currently our units will only support cards up to 2GB in size. I don't know if the units will be able to support the larger cards. Once we have the larger cards available for testing our Software Engineers may be able to update the software so they will be compatible. At this point though, it's too early to tell. Please let us know if you have any additional questions."

So for now, we're stuck at 2GB.

"Question: What is the largest size microSD card that I can use in my X-series GPS unit?

Answer: At this time, the 2 GB cards are the largest microSD cards that can be used for the X-series GPS units. However, the X-series GPS units are not compatible with the San Disk Ultra II cards and therefore we do not recommend using the Ultra II micro SD cards with any of the X units.

Any SD card brand recommendations for the Vista HCx?

I would say any name brand will do. High speed memory is not really an issue with GPS units. I picked up a Lexar 2GB for $25 at Fry's Electronics here in So. Cal but that sale ended a few days ago. I would however stay away from anything off of ebay since you don't really know for sure what you're getting. Stick with any name brand and you should be just fine.

i only use SANDISK

i only use SANDISK

I've also had great luck with kingston brand cards, and they also have a lifetime warranty.