60CSx verses 60Cx: Any reason not to get CSx?

YBLee

Since Walmart only sells the 60CSx on-line right now and has a great return policy if needed, is there any reason to buy the Cx over the CSx? Other that the barometer/altimeter function and electronic compass, I don't see any other difference. If you keep these functions disabled, will the battery life be the same?

Thx in advance.

Edited by YBLee

...Other that the barometer and altimeter function I don't see any other difference.

That is the only difference. The "S" means sensors for compass and altimeter. You can disable the compass to save battery. I don't think you can disable the barometer, but I don't believe it has significant impact on battery life.

Thx for the feedback media601. I've decided to move onto the Garmin from the DeLorme PN-20 for now or at least until they work out some of the issues such as "speed" and "wandering" location. In general I like what they have done and believe it has a great future but for now I going back to Garmin where I can say nothing but good things about the 2610, GPSIII+ and 660.

Thx for the feedback media601. I've decided to move onto the Garmin from the DeLorme PN-20 for now or at least until they work out some of the issues such as "speed" and "wandering" location. In general I like what they have done and believe it has a great future but for now I going back to Garmin where I can say nothing but good things about the 2610, GPSIII+ and 660.

I have had a 76CSx for over a year and the electronic compass has started giving me problems so last week I turned it off and did not miss it so I will probably leave it off now all the time.

I have had a 76CSx for over a year and the electronic compass has started giving me problems so last week I turned it off and did not miss it so I will probably leave it off now all the time.

There's no reason at all not to get the CSx. It's reputed to be a great unit. As far as I know it has the same "guts" as the 76CSx I have and I love my unit.

As for the electronic compass acting up, mine has started to get wonky as well but it's likely due to the fact that I left it on the hood of the truck one time when I left the cache site. It kind of bounced down the road and then off into the bushes. I'll likely send it in for repair. It also developed a slight issue after that where, sometimes when I push a button, it will happily beep but the page doesn't change. If I push it again it may then change two pages or none. On a third push it will probably jump three pages. It seems to get "delayed". It's really not designed to be banged on the road like that...........

Nope, Jotne meant what he said. The 60SCx insists on using its barometric altimeter, so your altitude will always show about 6,000 ft while in flight. That's where airlines typically keep the cabin pressure. The 60Cx doesn't have a barometer, and so determines your altitude by satellite trigonometry. When you are flying at 29,000, the 60Cx will tell you so.

Thx for the clarification Sputnik57. So you cannot "turn-off" the Barometer function - correct and then revert to the Sat based calculation???

It's not documented, but if you put the 60CSx in the "fixed elevation" mode it will record the GPS elevation in the track log. Unfortunately, the values displayed in the data fields will still be the barometric elevation.

I've said it before; I say it again: It's not the barometric sensor in itself that's the benefit with that part of an S model, it's the software that comes with it. The other models can't show any elevation profile, can't log barometric pressure (of course), can't convert the elevation log to a place on the map, can't compute total climb, total descent and a bunch of other things.

I've not had any problem with the compass sensor so far. I've had five different units with this equipment. I still have two of them, and they work as expected, provided they are properly calibrated.

Thx for the clarification Sputnik57. So you cannot "turn-off" the Barometer function - correct and then revert to the Sat based calculation???

It's not documented, but if you put the 60CSx in the "fixed elevation" mode it will record the GPS elevation in the track log. Unfortunately, the values displayed in the data fields will still be the barometric elevation.

I want to repeat that, because many people don't know that.

I tracked the altitude without problems with a CSX at a flight from Paris to Vienna, using the "fixed elevation" setting.

So, in "fixed elevation" mode, the GPS logs the "satelite calculated" altitude in the Track Log but still uses the barometer to display the altitude in the "altitude" field on the display - correct?.

So I assume there isn't a way to change the "altitude" field data to "fixed elevation" - correct?

Edited by YBLee