Taking my brand new TB and Geocoin on a trip

serenityir

I'm going to Arizona from Montana at the beginning of August and wanted to take my trackables with me to leave in a cache down there. They are not even currently activated and they are the first of my own. I want to show their mileage from here to AZ, but having not seen the process of setting up new trackables I wasn't sure of the best way to do that. Would it be to log them, perhaps in my own cache, and then retrieve them again? Or is there another, better way for me to do this? Any info would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm going to Arizona from Montana at the beginning of August and wanted to take my trackables with me to leave in a cache down there. They are not even currently activated and they are the first of my own. I want to show their mileage from here to AZ, but having not seen the process of setting up new trackables I wasn't sure of the best way to do that. Would it be to log them, perhaps in my own cache, and then retrieve them again? Or is there another, better way for me to do this? Any info would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

You may want to try something like I did for this geocoin that I own.

Cheers from Dubai.

For my trackables, I typically start them at my own cache so they can have a "good start." From there, I log them out, and move them on from there. :unsure:

one of the things I do is use an unpublished cache I have.

Since I have a coin collection, with almost 200 coins, I keep them "logged" into a cache that I never published. I "remove" them from the cahce to "deposit" into event caches, and after the event is over, I "remove" them from the event cache, and "drop" them back into my unpublished cache.

When I go on a trip with a new TB or coin, I will "dip" it into my unpublished "coin collection" cache for the miles (The coords are actually my apartment) so the mileage will be true. I don't do this if I am going to be driving somewhere to drop the new coin - only if it is a great distance, such as a trip that would involve flying.... I did this with some coins that I brought to Thailand earlier this year.

I know, we all like to have bugs start the mileage from our home location, myself included.

I wonder why we care so much considering that cache mileage doesn't really track the true journey. Still, I'll keep logging my bugs locally before setting them on their way.

Considering all these limitations I'll use a real cache to give it a starting point. If I want it to travel via caches I should at least have it log caches it actually visited.

Hi, I'm just starting sending off my geocoins on their journeys and would also like to have the mileage start from home instead of the first cache I drop it in (which may be far away).

Can anyone create an unpublished cache - what type is it ("unknown"?) Is it violating any rules to create an unpublished cache that will never exist anywhere but in your home?

If I "dip" my trackables in my unpublished home cache, does it show up in the logs (and thus become published)? I don't really want people to know where I live.

Is it rude to go to someone else's nearby local cache to "dip" my trackables in there so the miles are logged from close to home? I'm not sure I'd want to see my cache's logs filled with someone else dropping off and retrieving their geocoins on the same day just to get the miles logged from the desired starting point.

Just trying to figure out how this works before I try it and screw up something.

Thanks!

Edited by ReZappers

Is it rude to go to someone else's nearby local cache to "dip" my trackables in there so the miles are logged from close to home? I'm not sure I'd want to see my cache's logs filled with someone else dropping off and retrieving their geocoins on the same day just to get the miles logged from the desired starting point.

Just trying to figure out how this works before I try it and screw up something.

Thanks!

You can "dip" a TB in and out a cache and not have it show in the cache's logs. Post a Note at the cache, drop the bug with the Note, go to the TB page and retrieve the bug, then, if you wish, you can go back to the cache page and delete your Note. Of course, you should actually be taking the TB to the cache, and if so you could leave the Note in place.

Edited by UncleJimbo