2007 RED JEEP THREAD, LOOK HERE FIRST

MREAGLEWO1

Hello all: I am glad to say that this is not a question on how to activate my jeep. I was reading the contest rules and it mentions what to do if you get to the cache and the bug is missing. There are not a lot of details I could find. Do they mean if you find a cache listing and go out to hunt the cache and someone beats you to it or what? If you go out after that cache three days after the bug is logged out are you too late? It just says take a photo of your GPSr at the cache location. I figure it will be hard to get to the cache first and find one to use in the contest photo. I haven't even been able to get one of the old ones and that contest is over. So I am wondering if anyone knows more (maybe from past contests) about how this works. Thanks

The system was down yesterday, but was fixed later, can you try it again?

Tried it again, same message:The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system

OK it is July 1st and mine should be trackable but it still is not. There are a few of us that are having this issue. There are no '0' or 'O's in mine either. I will send an email as well to see if/when this will be fixed. If anyone who is having this same problem and it gets resolved then please post how it was resolved.

Good luck!

If you received a Red Jeep and cannot log it after trying these instructions, then send me a PM or an email, and I'll get it taken care of for you. In your email include a link to your profile page and the tracking number that is on the tag. In the subject line put "Red Jeep". It appears a few might have gotten out without being activated. First try this:

1. Look at the number on the tag on the jeep.

2. Go to www.geocaching.com and click on the left side of the page where it says "trackable items".

3. Enter the number on the tag in the space next to where it says "Enter the Geocoin or Travel Bug tracking number: #######

4. Click on "track"

5. The TB page should come up. Go to the top right corner and click on "Add a log entry"

You'll see something like this:

Log details

Post a new log

In reference to: "travel bug name here"

Type of log:

Date Logged: //

Travel Bug Tracking #

Next to "type of log" use the drop down menu to select "grab from somewhere else"

add a date, enter the number from the tag, and write a note in the space below.

Click on submit. The bug should now be in your inventory, and sometimes they don't show up on the bug page immediately, so no need to keep trying. It will upload to the site soon enough.

Also,

the contest will be announced July 1, 2007.

Edited by Eartha

http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/

How to Play:

1. Check back here each month to find out what goal has been established for the Jeep 4x4 Geocaching Challenge for that month!

2. Once you find a participating Red Rock Crystal Pearl Jeep Commander Travel Bug, write down the tracking number that is stamped on the metal tag.

3. Take a photo of your travel bug with the goal for the monthly contest in the photo.

4. Visit http://geocaching.com to create a user account

5. Visit http://jeep.geocaching.com and enter in the tracking number to visit the web page for the green Jeep Travel Bug you found

6. Upload the photo to the green Jeep Travel Bug’s page to submit your entry.

NOTE: If the Red Rock Crystal Pearl Jeep Commander Travel Bug is not in the cache when you arrive, take a picture of your GPS unit showing the coordinates of the cache and take a SECOND picture completing the monthly goals to enter. Then visit http:/jeep.geocaching.com, visit the listing for the cache page that the green Travel Bug was not in, link to the Travel Bug page and submit your entry.

One first prize-winner for each month will be awarded a Garmin GPSMAP 60CX GPS unit.

One entry per month per person is permitted and you can only enter a Travel Bug once. So make sure to leave it, or drop it off in the next cache so it can continue its travels!

You want your photo to fit the theme, and have something to do with Jeeps. In #3 it tells you to take a photo of the bug, but if the bug is gone, do your best, I guess and do what the "note" says. And since they didn't edit out the words "Green Jeep", I'm guessing it's the same rules as last year.

And now I will add this thread to the other Jeep thread. Let's keep all Jeep posts in one thread please, no matter what the question, so people can have one place to look.

A couple of you have said that you couldn't activate the TB's and when the logging instructions were followed, it worked fine. There were however, a couple of tracking numbers that people sent me, that were not in the system, which is not the same as not being activated. If you have a Red Jeep, and you've followed the instructions I posted above, and it is saying "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system" I will ask you to please take a photo of the tag, showing the numbers clearly, and send that in an email to contact@Groundspeak.com with a short explanation and "Red Jeep Not In System" in the subject line, but try the instructions first. I think a couple got out that didn't get put in first. Not being in the system is not the same as not being activated. You can also have me try the number for you, first, if you PM it to me.

Thank you,

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

NOTE: If the Red Rock Crystal Pearl Jeep Commander Travel Bug is not in the cache when you arrive, take a picture of your GPS unit showing the coordinates of the cache and take a SECOND picture completing the monthly goals to enter. Then visit http:/jeep.geocaching.com, visit the listing for the cache page that the green Travel Bug was not in, link to the Travel Bug page and submit your entry.

What I am missing is whether there is any time restrictions on this part. If I found the cache an hour after the jeep was removed would be one scenario. To go to a cache a month after the jeep had been logged out and take a photo of my GPSr so I could enter the contest would be another scenario. Does this matter, or once a cache contained a jeep it can be used in place of actually finding a jeep TB.

Any reason why we can't see the jeep icon on search page but when you go to actual cache page it shows up in the inventory.

Example: GC11Q0K - The Family Tree

Attempting to use the red jeeps to entice people to some caches in this park.

Thanks

Steel City Babes

Because there is more than one travel bug in the cache. There isn't room enough to list them all, so if you hold your mouse over the coin, or TB icon, it will show a list of what's in the cache. If it were only the Jeep TB in the cache, you'd see the Red Jeep icon.

Any reason why we can't see the jeep icon on search page but when you go to actual cache page it shows up in the inventory.

Thanks

Steel City Babes

Because there is more than one travel bug in the cache. There isn't room enough to list them all, so if you hold your mouse over the coin, or TB icon, it will show a list of what's in the cache. If it were only the Jeep TB in the cache, you'd see the Red Jeep icon.

It shows the stacked coin icon, like the jeep is a geocoin. The jeeps are usually separate from coins and regular TBs

Here's an example

Edited by SeventhSon

Thanks

Steel City Babes

Weird because it showed on the search page the other day.

Thanks never knew that about the holding the mouse over the TB or Geocoin.

Steel City babes.

Last year I purchased a couple extra Green Jeeps to carry around with me for photo opportunities vs. keeping actual TBs out of circulation.

I am having trouble finding a place to purchase this year's Red Jeeps. I can only find the Jeep Commander in Black not Red.

Anyone know where you can purchase these online?

Thanks,

BoatDaddy

Thanks. I also cannot log it in as being put in a cache. The cache does not show the TB as being there.

Any ideas?

It will only show up on your Travel Bugs moved/discovered list because you don't own the Jeep TB.

:::::: hmmmmm, is that the distinct sound of a moderator merging this thread? ::::::

Thanks! That worked, I fixed that. NOW, I am having a problem with the "Reference #" on the Jeep TB site. Its not the same number that the Jeep comp. sent me. They sent me a different number and it works when asked "what tracking # I'm using." But when someone else grabs the Jeep TB from the current cache, they won't have the # I have, they will only have the ref # on the Jeep TB site and it won't work. What should I do now?

You'll need to log the jeep and select log type 'Grab it from some where else'. That will pull it into your inventory so you can 'drop it' when you log a cache.

Thanks! That worked, I fixed that. NOW, I am having a problem with the "Reference #" on the Jeep TB site. Its not the same number that the Jeep comp. sent me. They sent me a different number and it works when asked "what tracking # I'm using." But when someone else grabs the Jeep TB from the current cache, they won't have the # I have, they will only have the ref # on the Jeep TB site and it won't work. What should I do now?

Maybe you should read How to use TB's before moving them. You are confusing the reference number with the tracking number.

The ref number listed on the jeep page is used in online postings instead of the tracking number. If you post the tracking number on line people could log the jeep without ever finding it, a definite no-no.

You'll be placing the jeep along with the attached dogtag into a cache. When people find it they will log the jeep using the tracking number imprinted on the tag.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ouch! Sorry to have bothered everyone. Isn't that what these forums are for? If everything we needed to know was in the Help, How To, and other sections, why would we need forums? Many times it is helpful to hear another person's version and clarification of the info. I appreciate the help but not the sarcasm.

"Maybe you should read How to use TB's before moving them. You are confusing the reference number with the tracking number."

You need to log a "grab it from somewhere else" instead of a "discovered" log to put it into your inventory. Then you will be able to drop it off when you log a cache, using the drop down menu on the cache log page. If you forget to log the drop, you can't edit the log to drop it, you'd have to post a note, and drop it then. These are the TB logging instructions if you need them: TB logging instructions

Thanks for moving this TB! I'll now be merging this thread with the Red Jeep TB thread, to keep this information all in one place.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

This is probably way behind the curve here, but is it too late to request one?

I guess I missed the announcement on the main website and haven't really been reading the forums lately so I didn't even know there was a contest this year until someone mentioned getting theirs in the mail.

I know last year they still had a few left to be requested at the time of the first mailings.

AK

This may be a strange question, however, here goes - I was reading the log for a particular

red jeep and I saw that the same person placed and retrieved the jeep from 6 different

caches and they are currently still in possesion of it - what is the advantage of doing this?

Do they not understand the contest or is it me that doesn't understand??? Any enlightenment

on this would be awesome! Thanks

This may be a strange question, however, here goes - I was reading the log for a particular

red jeep and I saw that the same person placed and retrieved the jeep from 6 different

caches and they are currently still in possesion of it - what is the advantage of doing this?

Do they not understand the contest or is it me that doesn't understand??? Any enlightenment

There is no advantage to that for them, they may have just taken it with them on a caching adventure, and gone ahead and logged it in and out of each cache they visited. They may not have felt any of the caches they visited were secured enough to leave the TB--I have had that happen before. Once I was stuck with a cache for a couple of weeks until I could get somewhere safe to leave it--even my old "stand-by drop off caches" were having trouble just then.

Hopefully, they'll find a nice spot for it and release it soon to so another cacher can pick it up.

This is probably way behind the curve here, but is it too late to request one?

I guess I missed the announcement on the main website and haven't really been reading the forums lately so I didn't even know there was a contest this year until someone mentioned getting theirs in the mail.

I know last year they still had a few left to be requested at the time of the first mailings.

AK

You can still go find one in a cache.

There is no advantage to that for them, they may have just taken it with them on a caching adventure, and gone ahead and logged it in and out of each cache they visited. They may not have felt any of the caches they visited were secured enough to leave the TB--I have had that happen before. Once I was stuck with a cache for a couple of weeks until I could get somewhere safe to leave it--even my old "stand-by drop off caches" were having trouble just then.

Hopefully, they'll find a nice spot for it and release it soon to so another cacher can pick it up.

Thanks Neos2 - I'm fairly new to geocaching but my son and I are having a blast and we are all into

the "Red Jeep" - nice to know that I get it! LOL

now if they would start showing up in caches!!!!!!!!!

8,000 of them and there are only about 100 of them actually moving in caches :o

How do you search for this information?

I have one but I haven't been out since I got it but it will be moving shortly hopefully

Steel City Babes

here ya go a complete list....

Red Jeep List

:(

I don't have the activation code that I need, if it was with the packaging then I threw it out. Can anyone tell me what I should do now?

Thanks

Tcchloe

They are supposed to come preactivated, they are owned by JEEP.

If you're getting this message when you try to log it, The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system, Then your pretty much screwed. There have been several shipped that are "not in the system".

Like the one I got :o

From another post:

"A couple of you have said that you couldn't activate the TB's and when the logging instructions were followed, it worked fine. There were however, a couple of tracking numbers that people sent me, that were not in the system, which is not the same as not being activated. If you have a Red Jeep, and you've followed the instructions I posted above, and it is saying "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system" I will ask you to please take a photo of the tag, showing the numbers clearly, and send that in an email to contact@Groundspeak.com with a short explanation and "Red Jeep Not In System" in the subject line, but try the instructions first. I think a couple got out that didn't get put in first. Not being in the system is not the same as not being activated. You can also have me try the number for you, first, if you PM it to me."

Thank you,

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

I still haven't heard what they are doing about this.

Good luck with yours.

Is there anyway to search for red jeeps by distance from your home coordinates? I want to find any within 200 miles but can't figure out how to narrow down to that without getting every cache w/o one in it too... I guess I can go page by page through all 8000 but with 400 pages that might take a while!

Also is there a place where you can view all the entrants in the photo contest? I think it would be nice to see all the different versions of each month's theme...

Thx

Edited by TreasureRaiders

Is there anyway to search for red jeeps by distance from your home coordinates? I want to find any within 200 miles but can't figure out how to narrow down to that without getting every cache w/o one in it too... I guess I can go page by page through all 8000 but with 400 pages that might take a while!

Also is there a place where you can view all the entrants in the photo contest? I think it would be nice to see all the different versions of each month's theme...

Thx

You can search for TBs by setting up a pocket query for caches with travel bugs. You don't have to run it, just view the preview. It won't give you just jeeps, but they have a unique icon so you can scan each page looking. Check caches with a coin stack, as well. The red jeeps seem to be getting lumped with coins sometimes.

I don't have the activation code that I need, if it was with the packaging then I threw it out. Can anyone tell me what I should do now?

Thanks

Tcchloe

They are supposed to come preactivated, they are owned by JEEP.

If you're getting this message when you try to log it, The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system, Then your pretty much screwed. There have been several shipped that are "not in the system".

Like the one I got :blink:

Well I have a bad one too.

I sent an email on Monday the 2nd and it's now Friday the 6th and I received no response from Groundspeak. :rolleyes:

I sent another tonight. We'll see what happens. No response is very surprising.

Just looked thru the first 20 pages of the Red Jeeps list- seems like a heck of alot of "unknown" status results.

Haven't seen any at all in the caches in my area. I requested one the first day they were offered, but haven't gotten one. I would say "yet" but I suppose by now I should presume that I won't.

I sent an email on Monday the 2nd and it's now Friday the 6th and I received no response from Groundspeak. :laughing:

I sent you a reply, did you not get it? Obviously, you didn't. So, do this: Go to your message center. (Click on the link in the top right corner of this page that says "MY Controls". Under the menu on the left hand side of the page that comes up is a link for your inbox.) In there you will now find a copy of the email I sent you on 7/2/07.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

Edited by Eartha

I sent an email on Monday the 2nd and it's now Friday the 6th and I received no response from Groundspeak. :P

I sent you a reply, did you not get it? Obviously, you didn't. So, do this: Go to your message center. (Click on the link in the top right corner of this page that says "MY Controls". Under the menu on the left hand side of the page that comes up is a link for your inbox.) In there you will now find a copy of the email I sent you on 7/2/07.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

I would like to know what you sent SimiRich.

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone about this JEEP not in the System issue.

I emailed about this on July 03, and never heard back from them.

Now, no one will answer my Emails.

Sent another one today.

Edited by Varmint

I sent an email on Monday the 2nd and it's now Friday the 6th and I received no response from Groundspeak. :angry:

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

I would like to know what you sent SimiRich.

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone about this JEEP not in the System issue.

I emailed about this on July 03, and never heard back from them.

Now, no one will answer my Emails.

Sent another one today.

Check your email. It's possible that your provider or ISP are blocking or filtering them. I have responded to your emails regarding this issue.