2007 RED JEEP THREAD, LOOK HERE FIRST

MREAGLEWO1

If anyone is having any issues with the Red Jeep TB not being in the system, please contact me via email through my profile page, or PM me through this board. It seems that because of a glitch, some got through without the information being in the system. I don't pretend to know how it works, but I can help you if you have any problems.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

Does anyone else think this Jeep Travel Bug thing gives off an unpleasant odor of commercialization?

I think the Jeep Travel Bugs are great. Thank you to the Jeep division of Daimler-Chrysler Corporation and other sponsors and advertisers for supporting geocaching.

Without commercial sponsors like Jeep and Garmin, how would Geocaching.com pay the expenses to maintain and operate the website?

When I get my next SUV, I will seriously consider getting a Jeep, in part because of its support of geocaching.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Does anyone else think this Jeep Travel Bug thing gives off an unpleasant odor of commercialization?

I think the Jeep Travel Bugs are great. Thank you to the Jeep division of Daimler-Chrysler Corporation and other sponsors and advertisers for supporting geocaching.

Without commercial sponsors like Jeep and Garmin, how would Geocaching.com pay the expenses to maintain and operate the website?

When I get my next SUV, I will seriously consider getting a Jeep, in part because of its support of geocaching.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

I am going to have to agree. I think this is a great promotion. It puts more TBs in Caches, it gets me out more and it allows me to find a different Icon.

I dont know why people think 'commercialization is bad, it is what keeps the servers running, it is what allows Garmin to make a better GPS, it is what keeps things going.

I managed to find a red jeep in a cache yesterday. Yeah.. I am working on a picture idea and will have it moving to another cache very soon.

Other than the picture, is there any reason - contest related - for finding a red jeep? I notice that a lot of people get them and seem to just log that they had it before passing them on (looking at jeep tb logs and lack of pictures). I also noticed some that are being traded instead of ending up in caches. I guess this is what happens although it seems wrong to me.

One other thing that is not real clear - once you have a tb, can you only log it once and only once? If so, is this is meant to keep people from just holding it through the whole contest time period and doing the photo mission each month with the same jeep.

Edited by pv_seattle

Ok this might seem like a dumb question to some other people but with the new Jeep TB do i need to activate it before placing it in a cache or just drop it off and log it?This is the first time I have handled a TB before and have no idea what to do.Help would be greatly appreciated.

You can log a TB as many times as you move it.

sorry - i probably should have asked - can you submit more than one entry photo per tb - regardless of how long you hold on to it? What prevents someone from just holding a jeep tb through the contest and submitting photo contest entries each month? hopefully there is no incentive to do that but instead that the incentive is to keep the tb's moving along and in caches.

thanks for explaining to a newbie. ;)

http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/rules.aspx

Limit one entry per person/email address/log-on/user name/password/ Geocaching.com account per Initial Judging Period. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than one (1) entry per Initial Judging Period by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, log-on/user names and passwords, Geocaching.com accounts or any other methods will void that participant’s entries and that participant will be disqualified. A participant may only use one location and/or Travel Bug per entry. Any attempt by any participant to use the same location and/or Travel Bug in multiple entries will void all such entries.

This is my first attempt at using forums. Hope I get this right! I was the lucky recipient of a Red Jeep and took my photo, submitted it and then sent the TB to a great 4x4 location. Now I have another Red Jeep TB from a cache just the other night. Can I take a pic using the August theme and just wait to upload to the contest until that time? I don't want to hold on to the TB that long. Also, I'm confused about the "Current Goal". Am I supposed to create one for the TB before I send it out? Do the TBs have different goals? Thanx for any clarification you can give. Hope I'm not repeating questions already asked!

This is my first attempt at using forums. Hope I get this right! I was the lucky recipient of a Red Jeep and took my photo, submitted it and then sent the TB to a great 4x4 location. Now I have another Red Jeep TB from a cache just the other night. Can I take a pic using the August theme and just wait to upload to the contest until that time? I don't want to hold on to the TB that long. Also, I'm confused about the "Current Goal". Am I supposed to create one for the TB before I send it out? Do the TBs have different goals? Thanx for any clarification you can give. Hope I'm not repeating questions already asked!

Limit one entry per person/email address/log-on/user name/password/ Geocaching.com account per Initial Judging Period (ie: August). Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than one (1) entry per Initial Judging Period by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, log-on/user names and passwords, Geocaching.com accounts or any other methods will void that participant’s entries and that participant will be disqualified. A participant may only use one location and/or Travel Bug per entry. Any attempt by any participant to use the same location and/or Travel Bug in multiple entries will void all such entries.

Contest details are here

Edited by Eartha

"Skug River (MA)" Red Jeep Travel Bug...I recently found this little guy in a cache in Pennsylvania, I logged it as finding it, I took a few pictures of me with it and placed it into another cache in Maryland. I went to upload the pic onto the site and much to my disappointment, I need the tracking number again :P I didn't write it down as I had already logged finding it! Anyway, Is there anyway to submit this pic? or am I screwed!! The pic is awesome too!! Any help would be great!

Edited by Captain Hannibal

Okay, I'm bummed! I put the Jeep that I received in a fairly difficult (and great!) Mystery Cache. The cache has had nine finds, including the one today that mentioned that the Jeep was not there. Jeep's only been there a week. I'm bummed out! Possibility exists, I guess, that the finder has not had a chance to log the find yet...

I am new to the the hobby, but I wholeheartedly (sp) agree with Blue Duece. Some people will ruin it for others and then wonder when next year, there is no 2008 Jeep contest!!! LMAO!!!

As they say "Drive it like it's rented with insurance, but take it back when you done" :P

On the topic of searching for Jeeps. I have used the find feature, only to discover that sometime the Jeep logo does not show up in the search result. Is there a ay to view the RedJeep 4x4's trackables and sort them with distance from your home?

<whiny comment>

I have 2 full time jobs and cache often for short trips while driving. I really have to know where I'm going! I want to find the Red Jeeps too and move them along, but there's no way I'll come across one randomly

</ whiny comment>

If ya'll ave a good way of making a pocket query or some other reliable way ot searching for Red Jeeps, that'd be wonderful!

If you see a cache on your search with the TB icon next to it, hold your cursor over it, if there is more than one bug in the cache it will list them, including the Jeeps. If there is only a Red Jeep in the cache the icon will show up. I just checked and it is working. More than one coin shows up as a stack of coins.

RUH ROH

It appears that someone may have stolen the one we got, along with one of our geocoins.

Now what should we do.....leave it in our cache and hope someone just forgot to log it or mark it missing?

You can go ahead an mark it missing, that might spur a log. It doesn't kill the bug and is very easy to get back in circulation, but this way people aren't let down when they show up and no Jeep.

I am guilty of holding a 2007 Jeep TB for far longer than the suggested time. Please allow me to make my statement, then I will throw myself at the mercy of the court and accept my punishment.

I believe I am in a very small minority of geocachers without access to a vehicle. Living in an urban area, buses and walking are my most common means of getting from place to place. Most caches around here tend to be micros, so it's rare to find something large enough add the Jeep in.

I have been asking a good friend to drive and help me geocache, but he has been rather busy with work, so, again, getting to anything larger than a film can has proven rather difficult for me.

There was a specific incident a couple of weeks ago, when I had the opportunity to drop the Jeep TB, but did not. I am involved in the Modern Day Outlaws game from The Caching Place. To meet my current requirement, I had to move a Geocoin, which I did at this location. I had already chosen my next requirement to be to move the Jeep TB, but the game does not allow the same cache to be used for more than one requirement. I knew had to place the Jeep TB somewhere else.

I assure the court that I carry the Jeep TB with me, and I intend to drop it into the next cache I find that is large enough to fit it in.

I think Jeeps are the travel bugs of Unending Angst.

I always worry when I'm the last person to find the cache, or place the TB. I hate LTF. The anxiety has been resolved. On of the previous finders of the cache picked up the Jeep and then went travelling. He has retrieved the Jeep, and thanked me for leaving it nearby. All is right with the world.

RUH ROH

It appears that someone may have stolen the one we got, along with one of our geocoins.

Now what should we do.....leave it in our cache and hope someone just forgot to log it or mark it missing?

You can go ahead an mark it missing, that might spur a log. It doesn't kill the bug and is very easy to get back in circulation, but this way people aren't let down when they show up and no Jeep.

RUH ROH

Help question .....

Do I grab the TB and coin from the cache and then post a note they are missing, or just post a note?

Never had to deal with this before.

Thanks

I am guilty of holding a 2007 Jeep TB for far longer than the suggested time.

Heck, we got people blatantly shipping them out of the country, holding one for a while isn't much of a issue to me.

Happy Caching.

I guess you can't police everybody, but at least a large majority of people understand and respect the spirit of the game. Is there any way to flag someone as a "Bad Apple" cacher?

I guess you can't police everybody, but at least a large majority of people understand and respect the spirit of the game. Is there any way to flag someone as a "Bad Apple" cacher?

Anyone with a concern regarding the practice of another cacher should contact either a forum moderator, a cache reviewer, or contact@geocaching.com, directly and off-line.

These people will first confirm if your concern is in fact an issue that needs to be addressed.

From the Rules: ( http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/rules.aspx )

.....Limit one entry per person/email address/log-on/user name/password/ Geocaching.com account per Initial Judging Period (ie: August). Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than one (1) entry per Initial Judging Period by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, log-on/user names and passwords, Geocaching.com accounts or any other methods will void that participant’s entries and that participant will be disqualified. A participant may only use one location and/or Travel Bug per entry. Any attempt by any participant to use the same location and/or Travel Bug in multiple entries will void all such entries....

...Note: Only one log-on/user name and password and Geocaching.com account may be used by any participant, email address or household and there is a limit of one log-on/user name and password and Geocaching.com account per participant, email address or household. Should any participant attempt to use more than one log-on/user name and/or password, and Geocaching.com account that participant may be disqualified)....

The first rule does not specify household, the second does. Which is it? Can I and my husband both enter this contest? Or only one of us?

Edited by Kyndrid

I found the "Sheridan Creek (AK)" Red Jeep Travel Bug in a cache here in NC with someone else, they logged it as being discovered, and I logged it as being grabbed and then when I placed it in another cache and went to log it there was no "place option" in the drop down menu. I've contacted the person that put it there but no reply yet. It's currently in a cache but still shows in my hands. I wrote a note for the jeep but no reply.

Did I do something wrong ?

Help.

I found the "Sheridan Creek (AK)" Red Jeep Travel Bug in a cache here in NC with someone else, they logged it as being discovered, and I logged it as being grabbed and then when I placed it in another cache and went to log it there was no "place option" in the drop down menu. I've contacted the person that put it there but no reply yet. It's currently in a cache but still shows in my hands. I wrote a note for the jeep but no reply.

Help.

I don't see the jeep as being in your inventory. If you log the jeep again do you see a grab or retrieve option? If so you should grab it again. Otherwise you'll need to provide me the reference number listed in the upper left corner on the jeep page so I can take a look.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Help.

I don't see the jeep as being in your inventory. If you log the jeep again do you see a grab or retrieve option? If so you should grab it again. Otherwise you'll need to provide me the reference number listed in the upper left corner on the jeep page so I can take a look.

Okay I we went back and edited the logs, reference number is TB1NYAC hope we did it right. I was out with Simpleman89.

It now shows as in a cache put there still was no place option

Thanks for the help