2007 RED JEEP THREAD, LOOK HERE FIRST

MREAGLEWO1

I have a thought.

I have my Jeep in my possesion, and I'll be attending an event before July 1st. Would it be bad form to let people "discover" it before it was launched?

I see it as "no biggey", but I'm looking for opinions. After all, they "saw" the Jeep, why can't they "discover" it? What are your thoughts?

I have a thought.

I have my Jeep in my possesion, and I'll be attending an event before July 1st. Would it be bad form to let people "discover" it before it was launched?

I see it as "no biggey", but I'm looking for opinions. After all, they "saw" the Jeep, why can't they "discover" it? What are your thoughts?

July 1st seems to be a contest submit entry date. Otherwise I don't think it really matters when, where, or why.

Enjoy.

I was lucky and was selected to receive one of the new 2007 red jeep TB's. It arrived in the mail from Groundspeak with no written contents. When I tried to activate it, I need an activation code which was not provided. I tried the TB number for the activation code with an error. I will keep looking and post back.

I received a Red Jeep today. This is my first TB. My question is what is the activation code? :rolleyes:

I am in the same boat! I tried to activate my Red Jeep bug and was told that the activation code was on the packaging. Now, come on - what do you do with packaging? :unsure:

Got mine today! But... will be camping from 29 jun to 13 jul.. and totally disconnected from the internet soooo, I will not know the rules until I get back. Shucks, and I was hoping to drop it off in Blackwater Falls, WV. Oh well I guess this jeep will have to stay with me until I get back and be dropped locally... Fort Valley, VA. Which is a beautiful place to geocache anyway. :rolleyes:

Eureka - I have the answer - I think. I could not log the red jeep at Geocaching.com. Go to Groundspeak.com and on the right side there is a section called "Found a travel bug". Put the tracking number in there. It shows that the bug is already activated so you need to select found it. It shows up as belonging to you in Groundspeak but not at Geocaching.com yet.

Not sure when it will show up on Geocaching.com.

BTW - I dug through 2 bags of smelly garbage to find the shipping package. No activation code on or in the package.

Does ANYONE ever even READ the page where you sign up for these travel bugs??? It CLEARLY states the all Jeeps (or UFD TBs or any other sponsored travel bugs) ARE ALL ALREADY ACTIVATED!!! Sheesh!!! All you have to do is READ!!!

Sorry about the rant but when one gets 40,000 posts on "How do I activate my sponsored travel bug?" one gets a bit tired of seeing the same question - that you should already know the answer to - over and over again. I know that most tf these posts come from noobs but even a noob should be able to read the instructions that are published on the request forms.

Ok, got that off my chest. I feel better....

CF30

Thanks for that. I did as you suggested. My bug's tracking # is _______. Can I now send it on its way?

It's not a good idea to post the tracking # to travel bugs or coins on the forums or even in logs as anyone can post a virtual find/grab and cause you all manner of grief. You may want to edit your post to delete the #.

as a reading teacher, i can tell you that reading words and actually comprehending the intended message are separate issues. perhaps that's the problem here.

While this is true i think most people just dont read.

Why would someone send you a free TB that you could activate and own? It doesn't really make sense.

rant rant rant.... shouting rant yelling and eyes buggin out of his head rant... all snipped

Sorry about the rant but when one gets 40,000 posts on "How do I activate my sponsored travel bug?" one gets a.....

Yours is the 9th post of this thread!! How do 8 posts turn into 40,000?

Wow! Thanks for that. I'm not sure I needed it but thanks anyway. I'll place the bug soon and hopefully I'll be able to track its progress. You tell me that the bug is "activated" and at the same time send me instructions on how to get it into my "inventory". I'm confused. I think most of the problem is that I'm new to geocaching and don't understand the jargon.

I have the "Submission Received" email in front of me. I tried again to follow the instructions in it. What "Lookup button"? What field? I tried the activation field and was asked for my activation code which I'd find on the packaging (which I'd thrown away). You got HOW many emails about it? I rest my case. :rolleyes:

Please accept my gratitude for bothering to do this at all. I'm grateful for the backstage work done by volunteers. I really am. At 62 years of age I'm not at my peak ... however I'm not a COMPLETE idiot yet! I could not follow the instructions in the email ..... believe me! I tried my very best. :unsure:

Best wishes.

rant rant rant.... shouting rant yelling and eyes buggin out of his head rant... all snipped

Sorry about the rant but when one gets 40,000 posts on "How do I activate my sponsored travel bug?" one gets a.....

Yours is the 9th post of this thread!! How do 8 posts turn into 40,000?

My bad. I should have said "threads" not "posts". Hardly a week goes by without some version of this thread being posted.

Never mind.....

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Does ANYONE ever even READ the page where you sign up for these travel bugs??? It CLEARLY states the all Jeeps (or UFD TBs or any other sponsored travel bugs) ARE ALL ALREADY ACTIVATED!!! Sheesh!!! All you have to do is READ!!!

Sorry about the rant but when one gets 40,000 posts on "How do I activate my sponsored travel bug?" one gets a bit tired of seeing the same question - that you should already know the answer to - over and over again. I know that most tf these posts come from noobs but even a noob should be able to read the instructions that are published on the request forms.

CF30

Wow, I sure hope this is an isolated response.

This is a bit excissive in my opinion.

#1, There are only 8000 Jeeps, so surely there arent 40000 posts.

#2, I would imagine there are a lot of geocachers that have never released any TBs, like myself, and just want to do the right thing to ensure the TB is activated.

#3, There are a lot of NEW geocachers that are probably not familar with Groundspeak.com vs geocaching.com

I too had a problem with my Jeep. Or at least I thought it was a problem. I went to the geocaching.com website, and tried to enter in my code. The response that I got back was "invalid code". Since that is the same site I use to track the other TBs I have found, I had no reason to think that it would not have worked. When I received the invalid code, I assume it was not yet activated - like everyone else has, I imagine.

Thanks to wolfpackcrue for having the diligence to find a correct solution for everyone that was having the same problem that I had.

The great thing about forums & posts - If you don't want to read them, you don't have to. It's really a choice for everyone.

I don't think it's necessary to "get something of your chest" to people that you don't even know. If you don't like the particular thread, don't read it.

Hardly a week goes by without some version of this thread being posted.

Everyone should fully expect an initial flood of basic questions so let's be patient. Don’t let it drive you crazy.

I also think having a few extra threads on the topic actually help as the newbies will have a better chance of seeing their question already asked.

If it does become too much I’m sure Eartha will pin an answer in this forum like she did with the UFD bugs.

Go to Trackables. Enter the number from the tag next to the "track" button. Then click "track". This will bring up the page for your Jeep TB. Then click to log it and choose grab it. This will place it into your possesion. It will now be ready to use.

This method did not work last night but does this morning, But the jeep still does not show up in your inventory. It may not until July 1?

Go to Trackables. Enter the number from the tag next to the "track" button. Then click "track". This will bring up the page for your Jeep TB. Then click to log it and choose grab it. This will place it into your possesion. It will now be ready to use.

This method did not work last night but does this morning, But the jeep still does not show up in your inventory. It may not until July 1?

Go to your red jeep page, click on the "log it" button. Then click on the "grab it from somewhere" button. Then it is in your posession.

Edited by cgmoyer

CF30

If one tries to log the red jeep in as you do every other TB or coin is says "this tb is unactivated" When you click ok it asks you for your activation code. There was no information that came with the jeep at all. Thank you to the person that explained to go to www.Groundspeak.com and put the tb # for your jeep in the little window next to "found a travel bug?".

Best to not Yell if you aren't sure if there is really a problem or not... yes?

I missed the chance to order one but did find 2 yesterday in caches!!! So I feel like the hunter that filled his tag before season opened.

As a Wrangler driver I was a bit bumbed that these are not wranglers but as a Jeep owner I am thrilled that we are doing this again.

Now where to place it!

I just got my Red Jeep travel bug, and in order to activate it, you must include some numbers or something that are "on the package it was mailed in." I have tried all of the numbers on the package, and there was nothing else inside the package, so I must ask: "How do you activate your new Jeep travel bug?"

Please check and make sure these are not already activated like the Unite For Diabetes TB's were. If you can enter the number and the page comes up for the bug, you just need to "grab" it. If it comes up "unactivated" please send me a PM and I will find out what it is and post it here.

You just need to "grab" it? I'm assuming we simply click "Found it? Log it" and then say we've discovered it?

I just got my Red Jeep travel bug, and in order to activate it, you must include some numbers or something that are "on the package it was mailed in." I have tried all of the numbers on the package, and there was nothing else inside the package, so I must ask: "How do you activate your new Jeep travel bug?"

It is just like any other TB. You do not need to activate it.

Please check and make sure these are not already activated like the Unite For Diabetes TB's were. If you can enter the number and the page comes up for the bug, you just need to "grab" it. If it comes up "unactivated" please send me a PM and I will find out what it is and post it here.

You just need to "grab" it? I'm assuming we simply click "Found it? Log it" and then say we've discovered it?

Not "discovered it." Select "Grab from somewhere else." Discover will not put it in your inventory.

It is already activated when you receive it. To put the TB in your inventory go to it's page and log it using the "grabbed it ..." log type. The tracking number that you need is on the dog tag and is six digits (alpha/numeric) starts with "JP....".

At the risk of repeating myself, I am repeating myself, so no one has to scroll back.

NOW HEAR THIS! FYI, PASS IT ON!

The RED JEEP TBs are already activated. You are the starting point. You just need to log a 'grab' and then post a note on the cache page and log a drop, using the drop down menu at the bottom of the cache log entry page. Do not go to the activation page, look up the bug like any other TB and grab it.

(Link to how to log a travel bug instructions if needed).

Thank you for moving this Travel Bug!

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer