Birthday Gift Conundrum

My wonderful wife got great advice from a local geocacher/gadget head on what new Garmin GPSr and Maps software to get me for my birthday. She got me a 60scx, an extra 1 GB microSD, and City Navigator v8 (not NT). :unsure:

I do not want to look a gift horse in the mouth but, I have spent some time going over the forums looking at the difference between 1GB microSD vs. 2 GB and City Navigator v8 (not NT) vs. CN 2008 (v9 with NT). The Software and MicroSD are both currently unopened and can be returned/exchanged.

My question is: is it worth taking the time and effort to return the microSD and map software, then get a 2 GB microSD, then wait for the retail package for the CN 2008 v9 NT? I could live with the 1 GB card, but I am not sure how the whole map software upgrade works and I do not think you can upgrade to NT.

Or is it just better not look a gift horse in the mouth?

Thanks in advance!

Your wonderful wife will understand if you want CN2008 as it's an upgrade in map coverage. It is not an upgrade in features; that is both CN and CN-NT have same coverage but CN2008 has a year of updated information over the regular CN. The difference is the compression method; this Garmin link gives a brief explanation.

If you're going to return CN, you might as well turn in the 1g card and get a 2g card.

I personally would prefer the non-NT version as it gives you more flexibilty to add custom POI's to the microSD as well as the maps. I've also found that there are some disadvantages to putting the entire US and Canada maps in the GPSr. For example, a search for "nearest containing" can go from 20 seconds for a 5 state search to 10 minutes for the whole enchilada. Although I have a 2 gig card I have less than a gig of maps and POI loaded. The setup you have is about as good as it gets but 2 gig cards are going for less than $25.00 so you might want to go ahead and upgrade there. There's no such thing as too much memory.

Now I have a question--where do I find a wife like that? ;)

Edited by media601