spreadsheet question

Lloyd&Jess

I would like to start an excel spreadsheet of my finds. Just the waypoint and name. With over 1000 finds I don't want to do it manually if I don't have to. With that being said, what is the easiest way to get my finds into a spreadsheet? I don't see anykind of export feature in Easy GPS or in cache mate. I would like to store the spreadsheet on my pocket PC.

Thanks, Lloyd&jess

Have you looked into Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK)? Combined with the "my finds" Pocket Query you can get as a premium member - should get you started.

I am fairly certain that you could then export the data you are looking for to Excel and then copy to your PDA.

May I ask exactly what you will do with this data? Maybe somebody here knows the perfect way to accomplish that....

Have you looked into Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK)? Combined with the "my finds" Pocket Query you can get as a premium member - should get you started.

I am fairly certain that you could then export the data you are looking for to Excel and then copy to your PDA.

May I ask exactly what you will do with this data? Maybe somebody here knows the perfect way to accomplish that....

I want to have a database of all my finds on my pocket PC, so when I go caching with friends, which I do a lot of, when we get to an area I have done some caching in but they haven't I can check on caches to see if they are ones I have already found or not. That way I won't log the same cache twice.

Do they make GSAK for pocket PC yet? (I'll go look now, but if someone knows)

I want to have a database of all my finds on my pocket PC, so when I go caching with friends, which I do a lot of, when we get to an area I have done some caching in but they haven't I can check on caches to see if they are ones I have already found or not. That way I won't log the same cache twice.

GSAK is a desktop application that can output to txt file format among many others. From there, import to your Excel and then save it to your PPC.

GSAK supports output to a CSV file which Excel imports into individual columns making using it as a database very easy......

GSAK is a desktop application that can output to txt file format among many others. From there, import to your Excel and then save it to your PPC.

Smittyware has a version of Cachemate for PPC. You can have different databases in Cachemate, so you could have all your Finds in one database and the caches you haven't found yet in the Default database. After you mark a cache as Found in Cachemate, and after you log it online, you can move from the Default database to the Finds database.

GSAK Exports in the correct format for Cachemate.

At Goocaching.com click your user name in upper right corner. This takes you to the page with last 30 days caches. Click caches where is has Show All Logs For. In the resulting page you may sort which caches to show. Right click a blank area in center of page and select Export To MS Excell. Im using Vista and office pro 2003. No need for GSAK or creating pocket Queries.

Edited by frf

To be real simple you could go to Your Account, and on the Quick View click Caches, then, and you will have to do this in steps, click on Attended and Found It and Web Cam Photo Taken one at a time, then Edit Select All, Edit Copy. And in Excel you can paste each of those categories into a column.

You will have the dates, cache name and even the state, but as for the cache GC name you will have to use those other suggestions. Of click on Your Profile and then click on Geocaches and then click on All Cache Finds. Here you will have the GC name and the cache owner name and the placed date along with the date you found it and the last time it was found, but this is much less usable unless you write that simple program a bit better than necessary. But the real problem here is All Cache finds for me comes up in 59 pages of 20 caches at a time, arrg.

If you combine those columns into 1 an Excel sort should work but of course can't since there are no leqading 0's on months 1-9 and days 1-9 (so perform a little editing).

Then you can do Data Text to Columns... either Delimited (if you put in some special characters using a short 10 line long program) or fixed width, to split that data into multiple columns.

If necessary I can provide a template for the simple program, but it's really simple and anyone who has written anything can come up with it on their own.

Edited to say that the Paste I mention above must be Edit, Paste Special, Text or else you will have hyperlinks...

Edited by trainlove