Micro Mania

In Bucks, Beds, Northants and West Cambs we seem to be experiencing a deluge of cash and dash micros for Number Crunchers I presume? The theme seems to be if the there is a Supermarket or a canal bridge stick a micro there! Most are only a short walk and thick with muggles. We like caches that take you to interesting new venues with a nice walk to at least a small cache with swaps, log and disclaimer and room for geocions and TBs. There is nothing better than an interesting multi with a good theme or unusual hide. Most micros don't carry any reference to geocaching and some crave a decent log! We are guilty of completing these micros but they don't give us the same enjoyment other caches do. What views do others have on this subject? :laughing:

The previous posters may not have noticed that the topic starter is from the United Kingdom. Perhaps the OP has not read the many prior discussions here in the Geocaching Topics forum about microcaches. And perhaps the increase in micro caches hidden in the OP's home area is a recent phenomenon.

I ask that someone attempt to summarize the prior discussions, or otherwise contribute something of substance to this thread. Posting just an emoticon to join the bandwagon of emoticons is little more than "post spew." Some would say that if you have no purpose in hiding a cache, don't hide one. Here in the forums, if you have nothing useful to say, don't post.

In Bucks, Beds, Northants and West Cambs we seem to be experiencing a deluge of cash and dash micros for Number Crunchers I presume? The theme seems to be if the there is a Supermarket or a canal bridge stick a micro there! Most are only a short walk and thick with muggles. We like caches that take you to interesting new venues with a nice walk to at least a small cache with swaps, log and disclaimer and room for geocions and TBs. There is nothing better than an interesting multi with a good theme or unusual hide. Most micros don't carry any reference to geocaching and some crave a decent log! We are guilty of completing these micros but they don't give us the same enjoyment other caches do. What views do others have on this subject? :laughing:

In deference to the direction of the omnipotent KA...

I submit Dragontree, that while they may not give you the same enjoyment that other 'caches do, there are those that like them. I quite like urban micros. Granted, if there is real, wild Tupperware hidden in the woods, I'll go for that, but I don't mind a lamp-skirt micro. May I suggest that if you don't like them, don't hunt them. If they're in a place that you feel could be better served by a traditional 'cache, contact the person(s) who placed the 'cache and discuss with them the idea of your replacing it.

Ok - I'll have a go at that.

This topic is brought up often.

Some like micros. Some Don't.

Some will defend all cache placements. Some won't. Some will argue againist anything they didn't place.

Some like the "You cache your way and I will cache mine" mantra. Some disagree.

Some like numbers. Some don't.

All the above have cause a number of rather heated discussion - pro and con.

The only real agreement is that we should at least promote the idea that more thought and planning should go into hiding a cache. The result of that is what is debated.

One might suggest that it is dangerous to presume. Cachers who are not 'number crunchers' may like caches that you don't enjoy. It's OK when this happens.

Edited by sbell111

The previous posters may not have noticed that the topic starter is from the United Kingdom. Perhaps the OP has not read the many prior discussions here in the Geocaching Topics forum about microcaches. And perhaps the increase in micro caches hidden in the OP's home area is a recent phenomenon.

I ask that someone attempt to summarize the prior discussions, or otherwise contribute something of substance to this thread. Posting just an emoticon to join the bandwagon of emoticons is little more than "post spew." Some would say that if you have no purpose in hiding a cache, don't hide one. Here in the forums, if you have nothing useful to say, don't post.

bbq2.gif

I rather like the idea of a micro with a British accent! :laughing: All right, that's not quite true. Micros are only for those times when there's nothing better....... except that there are some EXCEPTIONAL micros which some of us really like. I get lots of comments on Shelob's Corner Lair.

The "Micro Spew" has been happening in the U.S. for several years now. It started in certain communities and each time, people from that locality would come to these Forums to complain. Each time the discussions went on and on and finally degenerated in name-calling. :blink:

If someone wants to hide a cache, and that cache meets the guidelines, there is nothing you can do about it. :anibad:

People have suggested being able to "Ignore" a particular cacher, so you don't have to go to the individual cache pages and "Ignore" that cache, keeping it from appearing in Searches or Pocket Queries (this option is available to Premium Members).

I prefer caches along a walking, hiking or biking trail, so I sympathize. However, sometimes, after a long day, finding one more cache in a Big Box Store parking lot is just what I needed . . . :laughing:

:anibad:

Rather than give a summary of all the previous discussions on micros, I will simply attempt to explain sbell111's use of the ice cream icon in this context.

In one of the prior incarnations of this topic the thread began to go a bit off topic when people began to talk about going to eat ice cream after a day of finding micro caches that seemed to be placed for no other reason than to increase someone's numbers. As it degraded into a discussion of which flavors of ice cream people liked or disliked, it occured to several people that ice cream was a good analogy for discussing which caches you like or dislike. Just as some people like vanilla while others like strawberry, some people like to find lots of urban micros while others prefer regular sized caches hidden in the woods. sbell asked

How do I get a 'Signal eating ice cream' smily?

and the :blink: was born. Now it is the stock response to discussions on micros and other matters of taste.

I noticed that the OP does not ask to ban micros or even how to control them. They indicate that even though they don't enjoy these as much, they still look for them. This is a good attitude. However, I think we should ban Rocky Road because someone with a peanut allergy might eat it by accident :laughing:

Edited by tozainamboku
The "Micro Spew" has been happening in the U.S. for several years now. It started in certain communities and each time, people from that locality would come to these Forums to complain. Each time the discussions went on and on and finally degenerated in name-calling. :angry:

If someone wants to hide a cache, and that cache meets the guidelines, there is nothing you can do about it. :blink:

People have suggested being able to "Ignore" a particular cacher, so you don't have to go to the individual cache pages and "Ignore" that cache, keeping it from appearing in Searches or Pocket Queries (this option is available to Premium Members).

For the time being, you pretty much have to figure out who places these kinds of caches and open up their profile and ignore their caches one by one. But after you do this, all those caches will be removed from all your online GC pages like they never existed! :laughing: So when you do a nearest caches to your home coords they are all gone. :anibad: When you look at a online map of your area they are also gone! :blink: So what you end up with are caches hidden by hiders that you enjoy the most! :angry: P.S. I was one of the people asking the site to add an "ignore all caches from certain cachers" feature... :angry: If the demand gets high enough, maybe they'll consider adding the feature....

Fact:

Micros are harder to find than larger containers in the same locations.

Therefore:

If it was really about the numbers it wouldn't be micros, now would it?

That said, I'd rather find a full size container than a micro. I like swag and hate needle in the haystack searches. You are not alone in your dislike for the wee beasties.

Fact:

Micros are harder to find than larger containers in the same locations.

Therefore:

If it was really about the numbers it wouldn't be micros, now would it?

That said, I'd rather find a full size container than a micro. I like swag and hate needle in the haystack searches. You are not alone in your dislike for the wee beasties.

They don't much easier to find than a micro under a lamp post cover. Guardrail caches take a few seconds longer. :laughing:

...They don't much easier to find than a micro under a lamp post cover. Guardrail caches take a few seconds longer. :laughing:

You should have visited my area before the Micro Rebellion kicked in. Lamp Posts, and Guardrail were so ho-hum and far too easy to be worthy of the term "hide" that they were not common.

Decons fit behind guardrail and under Lamp Post Covers as well.

My Second Guard Rail Cache (first in the area) had me so distracted by the Angry Indian Ghost story that it took me half an hour to even start to look for the cache (I know you heard that story in some other post...)

Edited by Renegade Knight

...They don't much easier to find than a micro under a lamp post cover. Guardrail caches take a few seconds longer. :unsure:

You should have visited my area before the Micro Rebellion kicked in. Lamp Posts, and Guardrail were so ho-hum and far too easy to be worthy of the term "hide" that they were not common.

Decons fit behind guardrail and under Lamp Post Covers as well.

My Second Guard Rail Cache (first in the area) had me so distracted by the Angry Indian Ghost story that it took me half an hour to even start to look for the cache (I know you heard that story in some other post...)

I haven't heard the story or I don't remember it at the moment. I really like Decons. They are large enough to fit TBs and coins inside and they seal well (if people actually take the time to shut them properly).

[...] JoGPS has a guardrail cache that I have yet to find.

AidRAidFan has one that I can't find, yet.

I rather like a well hidden micro (of course, I like caches of all kinds) and I'm pretty good at spotting them usually. However, I can see where a a suddent flurry of them in one area might be disappointing if you like larger caches.

Are the caches primarily being hidden by one or two cachers? Are they new to the game? If so, you could try inviting them to a local event and take them caching with you. While you are at it, make sure you take them to some of your favorite hides and tell them why those appeal to you. It's possible they may not have experienced many different kinds of hides. If they enjoy themselves at those caches, they may want to hide some like them. If they feel an affinity toward you they may want to attract you to their caches, so they'll hide ones they think you will like. In any case, you'll likey have an enjoyable day out caching with someone you haven't yet met.

Of course, they may just really like micros in urban areas, and see the need to continue to place them. It takes all kinds and that's not neccesarily a bad thing. In that case, your only choices are to ignore those caches, place a larger cache in that spot first, hope they tire of the game soon, or focus on caches you like and do theirs only when the mood strikes.

We are guilty of completing these micros but they don't give us the same enjoyment other caches do.

Er, why do you search them if you don't like them? ;) When I found out that micros are not interesting to me, I just changed my pocket queries to look like this:

cachesize.gif

I have some theory why many (most?) micros are not very interesting. It's about the cost of placing a cache. When you have to hide a regular or large box, you must do a more thourough search for a suitable hiding place and the container and contents probably cost some money. So you are more careful where and how often you do this investments. With micros and virtuals you don't have these costs, so it's easy to spew them out almost randomly.

... I have some theory why many (most?) micros are not very interesting. It's about the cost of placing a cache. When you have to hide a regular or large box, you must do a more thourough search for a suitable hiding place and the container and contents probably cost some money. So you are more careful where and how often you do this investments. With micros and virtuals you don't have these costs, so it's easy to spew them out almost randomly.
I don't buy that theory for a moment for reasons that have been discussed numerous times in numerous threads.
... I have some theory why many (most?) micros are not very interesting. It's about the cost of placing a cache. When you have to hide a regular or large box, you must do a more thourough search for a suitable hiding place and the container and contents probably cost some money. So you are more careful where and how often you do this investments. With micros and virtuals you don't have these costs, so it's easy to spew them out almost randomly.
I don't buy that theory for a moment for reasons that have been discussed numerous times in numerous threads.

Much like the Catholic church didn't buy into Galileo's theories. That didn't make those theories wrong.

Economic theory would offer some support that theory. If all micros cost $5 each like the typical ammo can or bison tube, then I'm sure there would be less of them. There are people that have hidden 300+ micros. How many of those people would have spent over $1500 to distribute 300+ ammo cans or 300+ bison tubes? But there are obviously other reasons. Another reason is that people can load up their packs with a bunch of them and drop them like breadcrumbs in a single outing. Distributing the same number of ammo cans would require many trips and obviously require a lot more effort.

Economic theory would offer some support that theory. If all micros cost $5 each like the typical ammo can or bison tube, then I'm sure there would be less of them. There are people that have hidden 300+ micros. How many of those people would have spent over $1500 to distribute 300+ ammo cans or 300+ bison tubes? But there are obviously other reasons. Another reason is that people can load up their packs with a bunch of them and drop them like breadcrumbs in a single outing. Distributing the same number of ammo cans would require many trips and obviously require a lot more effort.

Another reason is that the containers used for micros are believed by the owner of the micro to be the best, most cost effective container for that cache. One need not buy an expensive container if an inexpensive container will do the job well. (Please see the PB thread for more on this.)

Also, it is a fallacy to present the issue as if every micro container has no value and every larger cache is expensive to place.

Another reason is that the containers used for micros are believed by the owner of the micro to be the best, most cost effective container for that cache. One need not buy an expensive container if an inexpensive container will do the job well. (Please see the PB thread for more on this.)

Also, it is a fallacy to present the issue as if every micro container has no value and every larger cache is expensive to place.

I never said "every" did I? I was simply pointing out that people would hide a lot less micros if they had to fork out money for each container. I believe this was eigengott's theory, which I think has some validity. ;)
We are guilty of completing these micros but they don't give us the same enjoyment other caches do.

Er, why do you search them if you don't like them? ;) When I found out that micros are not interesting to me, I just changed my pocket queries to look like this:

<image snipped>

I have some theory why many (most?) micros are not very interesting. It's about the cost of placing a cache. When you have to hide a regular or large box, you must do a more thourough search for a suitable hiding place and the container and contents probably cost some money. So you are more careful where and how often you do this investments. With micros and virtuals you don't have these costs, so it's easy to spew them out almost randomly.

Many people still enjoy finding micros if they are in an interesting place or use some clever and not overused hiding technique. Some people are complaining only of what they see as microSpew where micros are placed in a particularly uninteresting area (e.g. parking lot) using a common hiding technique that we have all seen before (e.g. lamppost). For these people, filtering out all micros using a pocket query is not the most desirable solution since they may be missing some caches they would enjoy finding.

The theory that cheap inexpensive containers are the cause of uninteresting boring microSpew seems pretty unlikely. Cheap containers have always been available and have been used even when hiding caches in the woods or in interesting locations. Depending on the local climate, cheap containers may prove unadequate in standing up to the environment, but that is a different issue than spew.

My view it that people enjoy geocaching for different reasons. Early adopters of geocaching tended to be people who were already interesting in the outdoors (hiking, biking, 4-wheeling, etc.) and already had GPS receivers. As the popularity of geocaching has grown we have seen a new breed of geocacher that prefers urban hides. For some of these cachers, convenience of the hide is more important than whether it is in an interesting place. Micro caches are much better to hide in an urban environment. They are less likely to be muggled than larger caches. Many urban hiding techniques leave the cache in a relatively protected area, so a cheaper contained is often satisfactory. Some may choose to hide cheaper containers because even a micro cache will go missing sooner in urban environments and people would rather hide something that didn't involve a big expense. There are certainly both hiders and finders of urban caches who find that since these are more convenient you can hide (maintain) more caches or find more caches then when you have to travel a bit to do caching. So we see in some areas large numbers of these caches being placed by a few individuals. In other areas, there as simply more cachers hiding and looking for these urban hides.

Instead of blaming spew on cheap containers, perhaps you should accept the real cause of it as being that there are many cachers who like this type of caching.

The theory that cheap inexpensive containers are the cause of uninteresting boring microSpew seems pretty unlikely. Cheap containers have always been available and have been used even when hiding caches in the woods or in interesting locations. Depending on the local climate, cheap containers may prove unadequate in standing up to the environment, but that is a different issue than spew.
I don't think anyone is saying that inexpensive containers are "the cause" of uninteresting boring microSpew. It certainly is one of many contributing factors/causes. If someone had to shell out $5 for a nice micro container would they still hide it under a lamp post cover at Wal-Mart? I don't think I've ever seen a nice container/bison tube under a lamp post cover. Those types of places aren't worth spending the money for a nice container. The people that hide them are basically admitting that through their actions. This has been my observation. :laughing:
I don't think anyone is saying that inexpensive containers are "the cause" of uninteresting boring microSpew. It certainly is one of many contributing factors/causes. If someone had to shell out $5 for a nice micro container would they still hide it under a lamp post cover at Wal-Mart? I don't think I've ever seen a nice container/bison tube under a lamp post cover. Those types of places aren't worth spending the money for a nice container. The people that hide them are basically admitting that through their actions. This has been my observation. :laughing:
I think your observation may be clouded by a predetermined position. You appear to be starting with a determination that those micros that you don't like are 'uninteresting micro spew' and looking for proof that the placer was defective.

My feeling is that you don't find many bison tubes under lamp post covers because, due to the fact that the lamp post cover gives plenty of protection to the cache, a bison tube is not required. Pragmatism dictates that it would be wasteful to place a relatively expensive container in a location that would be well served by a relatively inexpensive container. (Please see PB thread for more on this train of thought.)

Edited by sbell111

Much like the Catholic church didn't buy into Galileo's theories. That didn't make those theories wrong.

Ah, but the Catholic Church not buying into them didn't make them right either. I think if you take the theory and reverse it, it's closer to the truth.

First Micro's are easy to come by. That's why a lot of people place them where a larger container may fit.

Then when you reverse the theory above, most of what you (and others) think of as crappy locations don't support a larger container as well as they would support a micro. Thus be necessity micro's tend to be in the more mundane spots in the urban jungle. I'm assuming that the spot is chosen before the container most times, but if I'm wrong...then the theory above holds true in that more spots would fit the micro you found than would fit the ammo can you had to go out of your way to buy.

I think your observation may be clouded by a predetermined position. You appear to be starting with a determination that those micros that you don't like are 'uninteresting micro spew' and looking for proof that the placer was defective.
I am not saying anyone is defective. Let's look at this a different way. When most people pay 5-6 bucks for a nice bison tube they typically try to find a special place to hide it. I can't remember finding a nice bison tube in a location that wasn't also nice. So I think there is a coorelation based on my own experience.

My feeling is that you don't find many bison tubes under lamp post covers because, due to the fact that the lamp post cover gives plenty of protection to the cache, a bison tube is not required. Pragmatism dictates that it would be wasteful to place a relatively expensive container in a location that would be well served by a relatively inexpensive container. (Please see PB thread for more on this train of thought.)
Maybe an LPC was a bad example. So pick any other spot that caches are often hidden in the typical urban parking lot. :anibad:
ask that someone attempt to summarize the prior discussions...,

Here ya go

Side 1: "There are way too many lame micros, they are taking over the sport and ruining it for me"

Side 2: "If you don’t like them, don’t do them."

Side 1: "How do I know I won’t like them until I do them?"

Side 2: "Spend some time researching each cache before you decide to search for it"

Side 1: "I go geocaching to get away from that kind of stuff. Why can’t we just encourage people to raise the bar a bit with their hides?"

Side 2: "How dare you shove your preferences down everyone’s throat!"

Side 1: "What is so bad about encouraging better caches?"

Side2: "Some of us like what you call bad caches."

Side 1: "But do we have to have so many of them?"

Side 2: "If you don’t like them, don’t do them."

Side 1: "How do I know I won’t like them until I do them?"

Side 2: "Spend some time researching each cache before you decide to search for it"

Side 1: "I go geocaching to get away from that kind of stuff. Why can’t we just encourage people to raise the bar a bit with their hides?"

Side 2: There is nothing wrong with leading by example with your own cache hides. By what reasoning, on the other hand, do you conclude that you are entitled to a homework-free experience and an arbitrarily determined minimum acceptable level of entertainment, to be presented to you by your fellow amateur participants, in a game where every guideline-compliant cache hider, regardless of experience, cleverness or ability to comply with your preferences, is presumably welcome to play? In fact, isn't it entirely possible that some of those hiders of easy micro are actually trying to lead by example themselves, in an effort to promote the types of caches they most enjoy, and that they hope YOU will follow THEIR lead?

I sympathize with your frustration, Briansnat. I honestly do.

I just think your high expectations and sense of entitlement are unreasonable in an amateur game such as this. Geocaching isn't the only place in life where the good stuff tends to be diluted by lameness or other things that might fall outside one's preferences. Cable TV channels, food, fashion, books, music, magazines, conversation topics ... in all things, I prefer patience and tolerance to frustration and ranting, but that’s just me.

I would suffer the very same frustration as you if it weren't for my ability to (1) take geocaching for what it is, (2) not try to make it what it isn't, (3) accept the realities of human nature, (4) find some type of enjoyment in every cache I choose to hunt, (5) enjoy the very act of doing the homework necessary to decide which caches to hunt.

I have my own caching preferences, of course, and I, myself, lead by example – I only hide the types of caches I think I would enjoy finding. In fact, it is my considered assumption that ALL cachers do the very same thing – why in the world would anyone hide a cache if they thought no one would enjoy it? I do not begrudge the hides of those whose preferences differ from mine – whether they be underwater caches, Delorme caches, tedious needle-in-a-haystack hides, or long trails of easy 1/1 micros. It their choice what to hide. It is my choice whether to attempt to find what they hide, and it is also my choice what attitude to adopt – how optimistic or pessimistic to be about my chances of enjoying those I choose to hunt.

Edited by KBI

:laughing:

Wow, you really are the single most annoying person on these forums.

Back to the topic..Maybe the caches just got placed because the hider likes to hide a lot of caches? You probably enjoy a nice wealk int eh woods for a cache as do i, but some seem to like to drive right up to the cache.

I would suffer the very same frustration as you if it weren't for my ability to (1) take geocaching for what it is, (2) not try to make it what it isn't, (3) accept the realities of human nature, (4) find some type of enjoyment in every cache I choose to hunt, (5) enjoy the very act of doing the homework necessary to decide which caches to hunt.

(1) I prefer what it was. (2) I have the right to be disappointed by what it has become. (3) "Nature is what we were put on earth to rise above." - Rose Sayer (The African Queen), (4) Goodie for you (5) I've done homework all my life, I geocache to get away from that stuff.

(1) I prefer what it was. (2) I have the right to be disappointed by what it has become. (3) "Nature is what we were put on earth to rise above." - Rose Sayer (The African Queen), (4) Goodie for you (5) I've done homework all my life, I geocache to get away from that stuff.

I agree - I quoted it because it is worth seeing again.

I agree - I quoted it because it is worth seeing again.

I really like that quote! :laughing:

Nature is what we were put on earth to rise above. - Rose Sayer (The African Queen)

Best post I've seen in a long time.

Then when you reverse the theory above, most of what you (and others) think of as crappy locations don't support a larger container as well as they would support a micro. Thus be necessity micro's tend to be in the more mundane spots in the urban jungle.

I don't know if it's still going on, but Jax had an "Anti-Micro" campaign going on for a while. The basic premise was place a regular where you'd normally find a micro. It was surprising how many regulars where placed in spots where most folks thought only a micro would work.

We have a regular-sized cache that folks seem to think can't be there and even check under a loose finial to see if it would turn out to be a micro. Folks stand within inches, I'm mean single digits, and can't find it. It seems all of these micros have set a paradigm about placements and folks can't think outside the box. If they can't think of a way to hide a SAW can in some location then they think it simply can't be done. Some have been proving them wrong.

(1) I prefer what it was.

Others prefer what it is now. “What it was” is still out there. The menu is deep and wide. Everybody wins!

(2) I have the right to be disappointed by what it has become.

Yes, you do. Goodie for you. :laughing:

(3) "Nature is what we were put on earth to rise above." - Rose Sayer (The African Queen),

In your reference, "rise above" implies that your caching preferences are better, or “above,” the preferences of those who enjoy the caches you happen to dislike. How do you justify that? What makes you think your preferences are better than anyone elses?

I could just as easily use the same quote to explain my own pride in refusing to fall into the temptation to publicly criticize those who fail to adequately entertain me with their cache hides. The Chronic Complaining seems to be a "natural" tendency. I prefer to "rise above" that kind of thinking.

(4) Goodie for you

Thank you. :anibad:

(5) I've done homework all my life, I geocache to get away from that stuff.

If you expect to be able to go out on a caching outing with zero preparation and not even occasionally find yourself disappointed or frustrated by things you could have easily avoided, then not only do you have my sympathy; you also have my pity.

Again I say: Your expectation is unrealistic. It might be fun to go blindfolded into a library or bookstore and grab a random book of the shelf, but if I CHOOSE to do my book selecting that way I can't really blame the author when I find my selection to be disappointingly uninteresting, can I?

Then when you reverse the theory above, most of what you (and others) think of as crappy locations don't support a larger container as well as they would support a micro. Thus be necessity micro's tend to be in the more mundane spots in the urban jungle.

I don't know if it's still going on, but Jax had an "Anti-Micro" campaign going on for a while. The basic premise was place a regular where you'd normally find a micro. It was surprising how many regulars where placed in spots where most folks thought only a micro would work.

We have a regular-sized cache that folks seem to think can't be there and even check under a loose finial to see if it would turn out to be a micro. Folks stand within inches, I'm mean single digits, and can't find it. It seems all of these micros have set a paradigm about placements and folks can't think outside the box. If they can't think of a way to hide a SAW can in some location then they think it simply can't be done. Some have been proving them wrong.

Locally there has been a Micro Rebellion. Decon is the smallest you normally see now. It doesn't hurt my feelings.

Locally there has been a Micro Rebellion. Decon is the smallest you normally see now. It doesn't hurt my feelings.

I'm really curious how that happened....

... I'm really curious how that happened....

I think it was a few things. First we have a close supply of cheap decon containers. A couple of years of complete crap burned a lot of people out on caching, and I suspect one active local challenged folks to do better after some positive comments from travelers, the good feedback was a reward. The fun level has picked up a lot in the past year around here.

A fairly new local phenomena around these parts are "seed" caches. These seed caches are normal size caches that contain large numbers of micro caches which people are encouraged to take and hide. Usually they follow a theme and there are specifications limiting difficulty/terrain to 1 or 2.

While there are some that are placed in nice locations, the majority are in guardrails and lamp posts in not even remotely interesting areas. :rolleyes:

When the first seed cache came out, containing 99 seed caches, we joined along. We can see where it is good to have caches out there that are accessible for those with limited mobility. We placed our cache in the recommended "Guardrail/lamp post", choosing a spot that offered an interesting view over a salt marsh.

c2d19330-4424-4174-88cc-3298a7734b65.jpg

In the year following the first seed cache, there have been 3 new seed cache "series", all with large numbers of micros. Many folks seem to enjoy them. I have mixed feelings about 'em.

Like I said before, many just don't take you anywhere. Many seem to be just haphazardly tossed in the most convenient spot. Sometimes they're even in spots that are adjacent to private homes or businesses. There was one that recently was confiscated by the police because the hider put it in a guard rail near a child care center, and the owners were concerned about what people were doing. The kicker is when these caches are placed near enough to where a good, creative hide could have gone, had the hider wanted to put a little time and effort into it, but now the spot is taken by a cache chucked under a lamp post skirt only a few yards away. :rolleyes:

I don't mind picking one up if it is on the way to another cache, but other than that...

A well done, creative micro is one of my favorite type of caches to hunt for, but I cringe whenever I see a new "seed" cache pop up. Maine had been pretty free of micro spew, but now it seems the tide is turning. :unsure:

Are these "seed" caches common in other areas?

A fairly new local phenomena around these parts are "seed" caches. These seed caches are normal size caches that contain large numbers of micro caches which people are encouraged to take and hide. Usually they follow a theme and there are specifications limiting difficulty/terrain to 1 or 2.

While there are some that are placed in nice locations, the majority are in guardrails and lamp posts in not even remotely interesting areas. :rolleyes:

When the first seed cache came out, containing 99 seed caches, we joined along. We can see where it is good to have caches out there that are accessible for those with limited mobility. We placed our cache in the recommended "Guardrail/lamp post", choosing a spot that offered an interesting view over a salt marsh.

c2d19330-4424-4174-88cc-3298a7734b65.jpg

In the year following the first seed cache, there have been 3 new seed cache "series", all with large numbers of micros. Many folks seem to enjoy them. I have mixed feelings about 'em.

Like I said before, many just don't take you anywhere. Many seem to be just haphazardly tossed in the most convenient spot. Sometimes they're even in spots that are adjacent to private homes or businesses. There was one that recently was confiscated by the police because the hider put it in a guard rail near a child care center, and the owners were concerned about what people were doing. The kicker is when these caches are placed near enough to where a good, creative hide could have gone, had the hider wanted to put a little time and effort into it, but now the spot is taken by a cache chucked under a lamp post skirt only a few yards away. :rolleyes:

I don't mind picking one up if it is on the way to another cache, but other than that...

A well done, creative micro is one of my favorite type of caches to hunt for, but I cringe whenever I see a new "seed" cache pop up. Maine had been pretty free of micro spew, but now it seems the tide is turning. :unsure:

Are these "seed" caches common in other areas?

The first cache I ever found at the end of 2002 was called a Breeder cache. It had cache larvae inside. The owner asked people to hide the larva only in prime spots. He would visit the new larva caches and replace them with ammo boxes. It was a nice concept. :D

We are guilty of placing Micro's as well as large caches. Personally we feel more challenged in finding a very creative micro than a ammo can in a pile of rocks. We have placed micros and have gone back several times to get the color or the camo'd effect just right. We think it takes more planning AND you have to be a good cache owner to place a micro because those logs get filled up way before the large ones. But that is what is great about this, do what makes you happy but don't knock the person that placed ANY cache because somebody has enjoyed it for either another number or a challenge or just got them off the sofa.

We are guilty of placing Micro's as well as large caches. Personally we feel more challenged in finding a very creative micro than a ammo can in a pile of rocks. We have placed micros and have gone back several times to get the color or the camo'd effect just right. We think it takes more planning AND you have to be a good cache owner to place a micro because those logs get filled up way before the large ones. But that is what is great about this, do what makes you happy but don't knock the person that placed ANY cache because somebody has enjoyed it for either another number or a challenge or just got them off the sofa.
I did a micro of yours that was a tiny little toilet. It was hilarious! :rolleyes:

We like caches that take you to interesting new venues with a nice walk to at least a small cache with swaps, log and disclaimer and room for geocions and TBs. There is nothing better than an interesting multi with a good theme or unusual hide. Most micros don't carry any reference to geocaching and some crave a decent log! We are guilty of completing these micros but they don't give us the same enjoyment other caches do. What views do others have on this subject? :rolleyes:

Thank goodness this is a hobby that anyone can make of it what ever they want. I have several "series" of cache types and adventures. Some are quite difficult and require thought, bushwacking, long walks, and skill. Another series is at road side rest areas. The most recent series are the skirt lifter type with an occasional twist. The interesting part is that all of these are done mostly with "micros" which range from pill bottles to 35mm film containers. Two do have large containers as finals.

To me it is the adventure getting to the log book. I recently traveled over 18,000 miles to record 254 caches to get a prize of a trackable coin and a FTF. It was the adventure, not the log book or the prize that made it interesting.

I believe that a recent post in one of my current series best defines what I think most people feel about micros. The comment was made the day that the temp was in the mid 90's and the humidity was about the same.

"It's days like today when I appreciate caches like this. Even though many of us complain about the plethora of easy micro hides in the Metroplex, braving the almost dangerous heat and humidity of this afternoon just to prove ones caching cred by attempting the Chaparral Trail series, or the P4 series, or any extreme caching, would be utter madness. SL. Thanks! This individual is no longer a teenager, has over 2500 finds and will go after any cache hard or easy.

So if micros are not your thing then Great, I see from your profile you like multi's GREAT. Maybe there are number hounds, Great. There is room in this game for all to enjoy their part of the game. That is what makes this game/hobby/addiction what it has become.

SO, Cache on and enjoy.

:rolleyes:

Actually, it is surprising what one can get away with on a larger cache. I placed a heavily-cammo'd ammo box (large caliber) behind a very thin screen of plants. The box was still visible where it sat, but the cammo was effective enough. I was surprised when the first finders logged how they looked all over for it and had a lot of trouble. I hadn't even included an encrypted clue at the time, because I thought it would be too easy anyway.

What really gets me is the small cache, un-cammo'd, that I placed in plain sight in a very busy park, and it has so far lasted over half a year. The first time it got a DNF I was sure it had to be gone. I just don't know how it persists.

I think micros spread for two primary reasons:

1. A smaller cache has more potential hiding places.
  2. A smaller cache can be cammouflaged in a greater variety of ways (bore a hole in any given object and stick a film cannister in it)

I also buy into TrailGater's notion that micros are cheaper, though I don't know how much it influences the spread of micros. I can say that there have been times when I wanted to place a cache somewhere and didn't want to blast another $150 on decent swag, yet didn't want to start a regular with anything less, so I was inclined to place a micro for that very reason. An empty box, to me, is worse than a full matchstick holder.

Personally, I have nothing against micros, but I don't like to see them overwhelm the game. Let there be variety. Do something to surprise the finder.

Last but not least: occasionally I like to find a place to drop off a travel bug. In my area that's quite a challenge.