New policy on City Navigator V8?

Until this version, we were able to unlock two Garmin units, I used V7 on my SP2610 and my 60CSx, now their policy reads:

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than one Garmin GPS unit you own, you will need to purchase another code for each unit. (The exception to this is with MapSource BlueChart CD data. The region you have unlocked to one compatible Garmin unit you own from a specific BlueChart CD you may unlock to ONE other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional fee.)

This is a REAL bummer!

Since only my 2610 came with City Navigator, I can upgrade to V8 for $75, but I gues I have to OUTRIGHT purchase a copy for my 60CSx?

Am I reading this wrong or missing something?

~CMT :laughing:

Yes, you are correct. However, since the documentation for City Navigator V8 and previous versions state that two unlock codes can be obtained for two devices, they might be legally bound to give a second unlock code for people owning those older maps. For sure, City Navigator 2008 (v9) will have this new policy. One person stated that they bought several GPSrs for their family. It would have almost double their cost of maps if they could only unlock one device. I am sure others are in the same boat.

Read More!

As long as things don't change, I am going to buy the new mapset (city navigator 2008) on a pre-programed micro SD card. that way I can use the maps on all my garmin handhelds(though not at the same time) and in any new gpsr I purchase in the future since they don't have any stupid unlock scheme.

As long as things don't change, I am going to buy the new mapset (city navigator 2008) on a pre-programed micro SD card. that way I can use the maps on all my garmin handhelds(though not at the same time) and in any new gpsr I purchase in the future since they don't have any stupid unlock scheme.

Are you sure? Garmin's web page selling the cards says this:

"Please note: These cards are programmed on demand. Please allow 1-3 business days for programming prior to shipment"

It's very possible that whatever SD card you buy will be tied to one unit. I don't know for certain, but it would be a good idea to check with Garmin to ensure that the card will work in multiple units. I don't recall that being the case, but I never looked into it. The SD card is a more expensive option, if you can only use it in one unit it would make sense to buy the DVD version instead.

I agree. I think they are programmed with the unit's serial number. This way the preprogrammed card can only work with that particular unit. Also, I don't know if the preprogrammed card would work with Mapsource on a computer.

Edited by Seedillume

Are you sure? Garmin's web page selling the cards says this:

"Please note: These cards are programmed on demand. Please allow 1-3 business days for programming prior to shipment"

It's very possible that whatever SD card you buy will be tied to one unit. I don't know for certain, but it would be a good idea to check with Garmin to ensure that the card will work in multiple units. I don't recall that being the case, but I never looked into it. The SD card is a more expensive option, if you can only use it in one unit it would make sense to buy the DVD version instead.

That seems strange, I can go down to REI or order a card online from many different sources and they never ask for a unit serial number before hand. All the people I have talked to who have the preprogrammed cards say they are fully unlocked but cannot be copied.

Also it would seem strange that the cards would need to be programmed on demand, since they come with the whole US on one micro SD card.

here is V8 of city navigator on tigergps website, all I'm waiting for is the new version(2008)and I will confirm if the info others have told me is true about these pre-programed cards.

http://www.tigergps.com/garmincitynavnamicro.html

Also, I don't know if the preprogrammed card would work with Mapsource on a computer.

MapSource doesn't do mapping with info on the memory card, it's the wrong format (it's "cooked" out of the format MapSource does in fact use).

Even if I was only going to use CN with one device, I'd still go with the DVD so I could also use the same data for mapping/routing on a PC *and* have the data not strictly exist on a uSD card that my cat could swallow.

That seems strange, I can go down to REI or order a card online from many different sources and they never ask for a unit serial number before hand. All the people I have talked to who have the preprogrammed cards say they are fully unlocked but cannot be copied.

Actually, I just got off the phone with Garmin support, and you are correct, the SD card versions of Navigator are not locked to one unit. Whether that alone is worth the extra cost and the lack of computer-based functionality is something to consider.

Actually, I just got off the phone with Garmin support, and you are correct, the SD card versions of Navigator are not locked to one unit. Whether that alone is worth the extra cost and the lack of computer-based functionality is something to consider.

That's good to know. Couldn't you rip a DVD from the SD card? I would want a backup anyhow...