micro sd card or DVD

The DVD version can be loaded onto a computer and used there and on your GPSr. The micro SD version cannot be used on a computer. Most people go for the DVD version.

July is a tough time to buy, since the new version comes out then. Garmin's former policy was to allow a free upgrade to the latest version if you unlocked a prior version after the newer one was released. They are getting pickier on software usage now (e.g., only one unlock code instead of two), so I would confirm this with Garmin before you spend money on the older DVD.

DVD. What happens if the SD card dies? With DVD you can always buy another card and load it again. Plus DVD works on PC.....

you could call garmin and get a replacement micro SD card if you ever have any issues.

also with the micro Sd card you don't have to deal with only being able to unlock the maps for one GPS receiver, you can pop the card out put it in another unit and use it in there too. I buy new units often and have had to send in a few for repairs, the unlock scheme garmin uses is a real pain, especially now that the new version only allows one unlock when you buy the DVD version.

I also like being able to use my maps on the PC, so I just have MS streets and trips and garmins topo software.

I seriously doubt if the micro SD card will work on different GPSrs. :laughing:

I would get the DVD because I like having the maps on my laptop, and on my desktop computer.

When I got a replacement GPSr, I got the new Unlock Code quickly. Garmin's Customer Service was very responsive, and I had no problems putting the maps on that new GPSr.

I seriously doubt if the micro SD card will work on different GPSrs. :unsure:

hmm I guess all the people who own the Micro SD cards I asked were miss informed and had not tried the cards in multiple gpsr. think about it how are they going to lock the card to one gpsr?

The cards are in fact fully unlocked but can't be copied.

hmm I guess all the people who own the Micro SD cards I asked were miss informed and had not tried the cards in multiple gpsr. think about it how are they going to lock the card to one gpsr?

According to Garmin's web site, the cards are programmed individually when they're ordered, so it might take up to 3 days for them to ship. This individual programming could tie them to a specific GPS receiver. I don't know for sure one way or the other as I've never seen one of the cards. I wouldn't assume they can be used on multiple units without checking with Garmin first though.

According to Garmin's web site, the cards are programmed individually when they're ordered, so it might take up to 3 days for them to ship. This individual programming could tie them to a specific GPS receiver. I don't know for sure one way or the other as I've never seen one of the cards. I wouldn't assume they can be used on multiple units without checking with Garmin first though.

Actually, I just got off the phone with Garmin support, and you are correct, the SD card versions of Navigator are not locked to one unit. That's news to me, but that's straight from the horse's mouth.

For what it's worth: I had a 60Cx that went bad. Before returning it to Garmin for repair, I removed the micro SD card that had maps on it, including City Navigator. Garmin replaced the unit with a new 60Cx. I inserted the card back into the new unit, and guess what? When I turned the unit on, I received a message that the "maps cannot be unlocked". I could see the basemap, but not the City Navigator maps that were on the card.

For what it's worth: I had a 60Cx that went bad. Before returning it to Garmin for repair, I removed the micro SD card that had maps on it, including City Navigator. Garmin replaced the unit with a new 60Cx. I inserted the card back into the new unit, and guess what? When I turned the unit on, I received a message that the "maps cannot be unlocked". I could see the basemap, but not the City Navigator maps that were on the card.

You do not specify but it sounds like your MicroSD is the one that came with the unit or you bought later and downloaded maps on to. If that is the case then the maps were downloaded from your computer and were unlocked for your old GPS. You should be able to call Garmin and let them know your GPS had been returned and they will supply you with a new unlock code for CN.

The pre programmed cards come with CN fully loaded and the card already unlocked. I was not aware that they could be transfered from GPS to GPS though. That would in some small way make up for the recent changes which only allow one unlock code for the DVD version but not enough for me to want to switch from DVD to pre programmed. I like having the maps on my computer for route planning but more importantly my mapsets normally contain several different kinds of maps, ie CN, Topo and Inland Lakes.