Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildearth2001

HAM Radio

I know very little about amateur radio but am interesting getting a technician license for HAM. what is included on the exam and is it something that I can teach myself in a reasonable amount of time or do I need to join some sort of radio club?

There is a GPS and Ham Radio Forum under the GPS Related Topics area.

You can get a study guide which has the whole question pool and with this pass the test fairly quickly.

One source for study guides

You do not need to join a club, but finding a good, active club can help you enjoy the hobby and get the old timer's advice on many things. With my club, we have numerous activities every year such as contests and special events, and trips to get on the air. Examples are Field Day, Museum Ships weekend (we are located in a Maritime Museum with a historic boat docked), International Lighthouse Weekend, DXpedition to a local Island (Islands-on-the-Air program.) During these you contact other stations and exchange QSL cards.

Monthly meetings bring guest speakers on technical topics related to radio, video, satellites, computers, other high-tech, etc. Some members are experts in their fields. One is even starting a communications/cell type company using an unusual mode and has other members as advisers and ground floor investor/owners.......

You can get a study guide which has the whole question pool and with this pass the test fairly quickly.

You do not need to join a club, but finding a good, active club can help you enjoy the hobby and get the old timer's advice on many things. With my club, we have numerous activities every year such as contests and special events, and trips to get on the air. Examples are Field Day, Museum Ships weekend (we are located in a Maritime Museum with a historic boat docked), International Lighthouse Weekend, DXpedition to a local Island (Islands-on-the-Air program.) During these you contact other stations and exchange QSL cards.

Monthly meetings bring guest speakers on technical topics related to radio, video, satellites, computers, other high-tech, etc. Some members are experts in their fields. One is even starting a communications/cell type company using an unusual mode and has other members as advisers and ground floor investor/owners.......

Yeah, what EScout said. I'm a 42-year-old woman and I am enjoying Ham radio!

73s

KI4KBC

ok thanks for the replies. a moderator is welcome to move this topic to the HAM radio forum which I had forgot exsisted.

i have been using an online practice test over and over again and im getting fairly confident that I could pass the exam, but i still dont really feel like I actually know anything about ham radio. the test seams like mostly common sense stuff and then electrical stuff which is also easy for me as I am studying to be an engineer. my only apprehension about joining a radio club would be that I am probably much younger (18) than anyone else.

one more question I have right now but cannot find an answer for is what fees are involved with taking the exam and obtaining a license?

I also own a REALISTIC XTX-202 handheld transciever, which was given to me by someone who had no idea what it was....can anyone tell me anything about this unit. I know it is a 2m band radio but not much else

I also own a REALISTIC XTX-202 handheld transciever, which was given to me by someone who had no idea what it was....can anyone tell me anything about this unit. I know it is a 2m band radio but not much else

I have an old HTX-202. They are a pretty bullet-proof 2 meter radio. The memories are pretty limited by today's standards (it has 10), but otherwise they are quite usable if working properly.

For more information, check out the manual.

Don't worry about age--many clubs have a wide variety of ages and ethnicities. It wouldn't hurt to check them out.

You might want to start with this one.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

Yeah, what EScout said. I'm a 42-year-old woman and I am enjoying Ham radio!

73s

KI4KBC

My wife is slowly getting the ham radio bug :( We have FRS radios for use in the bush with non-ham friends, but she has determined that for communication on the road or in the bush, ham radio is far more reliable/useful.

She's planning to take a course and get her ticket early next year (scheduling doesn't work to get it earlier).

-VE3OIJ