iPhone and Geocaching

kietc

OK, I own an iPhone, and I find the Google Maps application amazing. I was wondering if it were possible to allow a google search for nearby caches (i.e. based upon ZIP or coordinates) and have the caches display on the map. (This could also work for Google Maps for Palm or Windows Mobile). The pop-up bubble would display some basic information, but any detail information would require a premium membership. Any thoughts?

I own one as well and took it with me geocaching this past weekend. Let me tell you, it was a life saver! There's something to be said for being able to snap pictures, post them to flickr, read the cache page, email the owner and browse maps all while looking for a cache.

I too saw the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.aspx, which is a nice implementation. However, it isn't optimized for the mobile browsing. If that implementation could be optimized for mobile browsing, that would be great.

I have been experimenting with converting pocket queries into contacts and then syncing them with the iPhone. I'm really not looking for the iPhone to replace my GPSr. I just want to be able access the cache details and record my success and failures with it, especially if I am out of range.

After some monkeying around, I moved the coordinates from the Organization field to a Address field. This allows me to open the address with the Google Maps widget. However, Google doesn't like coordinates with a country and returns a negative search result, but if you delete the country manually, it pops up in the Google Maps widget.

More observations to follow . . .

I too saw the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.aspx, which is a nice implementation. However, it isn't optimized for the mobile browsing. If that implementation could be optimized for mobile browsing, that would be great.

I have been experimenting with converting pocket queries into contacts and then syncing them with the iPhone. I'm really not looking for the iPhone to replace my GPSr. I just want to be able access the cache details and record my success and failures with it, especially if I am out of range.

After some monkeying around, I moved the coordinates from the Organization field to a Address field. This allows me to open the address with the Google Maps widget. However, Google doesn't like coordinates with a country and returns a negative search result, but if you delete the country manually, it pops up in the Google Maps widget.

More observations to follow . . .

Kietc, I don't have an iPhone yet (maybe waiting for one with a built-in GPS), but I'm very interested. Is the above method still the procedure you use, or have you found improvements that can be made to the above procedure?

I was wondering if many other people were doing this! I have been caching with my iPhone lately and love it! I get to look at the actual cache page, check out the Google map if I want to, even with satellite imagery, find the cache, take a pic, and even log it while sitting with the container on my lap. I can even listen to my music on the built in iPod and use a "phone a friend" if needed, all with the same device. Gotta love it!

If I loaded the pertinent PQ into my GPSr, then great, but I have been to some areas where I had not done a PQ. In that circumstance, I just searched by zip code or my current coords and went from there. You can even do a pocket query from the field using the "view now" button on the page. As soon as Apple gets a integrated GPSr, which is very likely to happen, this may be the only device you need. Granted, I'll have to buy a new model!

Edited by Canoe Guy

I've done this for years with the various PDA/Smartphones that I have carried. I look up (and sometimes log) caches from my phone, take pics of the search, and have even listed new caches from my phone. I recently began using Google Maps (along with a BT GPS receiver) to help find the best parking for some caches.

Sounds like all of the same stuff I can do on my Treo 650.

You can do more. The iPhone breaks ground on design, but falls short of a smart phone.

This is true, I can do more on my t-mobile dash than on my wife's iPhone, but I still like the iPhone better. :)