Looking for a geocaching man purse

I think you'd call it a European Carryall. :rolleyes:

I use a lumbar pack for a shorter walks because it has the 2 spots to hold water bottles, but if I'm taking a day hike, I use a Northface Amira daypack. It's got space for everything (hyrdration pack, caching goodies, lunch, dog biscuits for miko, etc) I need for a day out in the woods caching.

Edited by DammitNanet

If I can get away without carrying a bag or pack at all, I will. If I *do* need a bag ...

MountainSmith Tour lumbar pack: Although I've used it for caching, I originally used it for day hikes in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it was awesome for that. If you drag swag around with you, there's plenty of room for it. I do not, so it has a little too much room for me to cache with.

TourLG.jpg

Maxpedition Versipack: I *love* this one, it's the perfect size for my PDA, GPSr, extra batteries and my wallet ... is it a wallet if I'm a girl? Billfold? I dunno ... the small pink leather Coach thingy with my money and credit cards in it.

0403k_1784_general.jpg

I realized today that I have way too much in my pockets and I could have used my camera today. What do you guys and girls use?

I am looking towards the MEC Pod Sling Pack.

I use something very similar from REI. It works great! Just big enough for some swag, TBs, a camera, small binocs, wallet, miscellanous other small items...and no one ever calls it my purse, even though I am a grrrl. :rolleyes:

You know, it's funny, despite my history of adamantly not carrying a purse for the last 14+ years (I can't remember if I carried one in high school or not), it was geocaching that made me change my ways. It was very hard for me to give in, but over the last couple months I've made the transition. It's just a regular cheap purse. I think I got it at Target or something. The pockets are perfect for all the bits of electronics I need to carry around with me though. I still find it ironic that this is the activity that made me do it. I'm still trying to convince myself it's OK.

Head over to Army/Navy surplus store. They've got a buch of sizes and shapes to choose from, a number of them uner $20. I picked one up a couple of months ago just before I broke my leg. I've really come to appreciate the shoulder bag while using crutches. I can't wait to try it out for caching!

Check out your local Goodwill Industries Store. Found an all canvas four outside and three inside pocket purse or bag for $1. Other locals have reported finding some great high end hiking bags for similar prices.....unless you just like paying more for brand new stuff and then taking it out in the woods and wherever, and let whatever happen to it. :rolleyes:

Head over to Army/Navy surplus store. They've got a buch of sizes and shapes to choose from, a number of them uner $20. I picked one up a couple of months ago just before I broke my leg. I've really come to appreciate the shoulder bag while using crutches. I can't wait to try it out for caching!

If i hadn't have found the one i have i wanted a WWII map case. Similar and very durable.

If i hadn't have found the one i have i wanted a WWII map case. Similar and very durable.

I have one of those that was my father's. It smells old from being in a footlocker for 3 decades, but it is still in excellent condition.

I was watching one of the Iwo Jima pictures last year and I went home and dug it out to see if it was the same model. It was and it didn't look any more worn than the one in the movie. :rolleyes:

CamelBak is an option also, not really a manpurse, but they do have a size for any situation possible. As mentioned before they provide the option of having the water inside the carrier for those heavy bush-whack trips to keep anything, like water bottles, from getting hung-up.

Downside to them is they are a bit pricey, but worth it.

In addition to the CamelBak, I wear on my belt one of the Garmin Universal GPS holders (GPSMap 60 style}, great for quick to get at items; xtra pens, sig. items and such.

I think Snoogans' suggestion wins my vote.

Unless I'm hiking my only caching gear is the GPS. It's been a process much like evolution... the need to carry lots of crap was overwhelming at first and now I prefer to be a little more minimalistic about the whole thing.

I used to carry a Mountainsmith Rapid Lumbar Pack (not the new Rapid II which looks totally gay and I suggest, as a man, you stay far far away). Mine hasn't been used in quite awhile now b/c it's just too big for me and what I want to keep with me.

aedaca85-dce5-4e87-9fb1-6455c18c60b1.jpg

Then I bought a Maxpedition Versipack... in black because it's slimming, you know?

81f56624-9365-4f26-bc80-c7a3e35d819c.jpg

I may be the lone dissenter on this one, but I truly disliked that bag. Kind of a bad deal b/c they're not exactly cheap for a dedicated caching bag.

I am a HUGE fan of cross-carry bags, so I thought that would be a bonus. I tried it for awhile, a long while, actually, but decided there wasn't enough give or shape to it for me to be comfortable with it on my person... and it ended up that I was more often opting for other things if given half the chance.

I ended up giving it away - he used it for awhile.

My current bag-love (I have a bag thing... and a shoe thing) is the smallest Timbuktu bag they make... and what do you know? I also have it in black. I am, however, toying with the idea of carrying it as a little hot pink number for these wonderful summery days... because I'm just sure they're going to arrive soon... right?

michelle

The Versipack is about the only "man purse" I'd remotely consider wearing. I'm just not secure enough in my manhood to wear one of those things that Snoogans posted.
You wouldn't catch me dead in one of those Snoogan "Man Purse" things. Call me whatever, I don't care. :anibad: Anyhow, I keep all my junk in a small backpack. In fact, it was previously used my one of my kids for school. But since they insist on getting a new one every year, I have a pretty good supply of them. :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

I refuse to have a purse. Why not just use a backpack? I was happy to get one of the smaller ones that Costco carried for a short time. It's very sturdy. I take it lots of places, but it's mainly for caching. I keep everything in it. And I mean everything. If you look at the picture on my profile, you can see me wearing it.

7bd7200b-53c0-41b8-891f-59d9322e3972.jpg

I use one made by Eagle Creek. It has two main pockets as well as a few smaller pockets in one of the larger ones, it will also convert to a fanny pack.

This is a new version of the one I have

Sidekick

3c4bc981-d1fb-41cf-8523-b2c289d58123.jpg

It has room for:

Small Dig Camera, mirror, batteries, swag, pens, extra logs, small cache, DEET, Sun screen cord with a hook, and reaching rod with magnet plus a few other handy cache items

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I use one made by Eagle Creek. It has two main pockets as well as a few smaller pockets in one of the larger ones, it will also convert to a fanny pack.

Sidekick

It has room for:

Small Dig Camera, mirror, batteries, swag, pens, extra logs, small cache, DEET, Sun screen cord with a hook, and reaching rod with magnet plus a few other handy cache items

How do you carry water? :anibad:

With my Mountainsmith lumbar pack, I can carry 64 oz. of water. :laughing: If I go on a longer hike, and need more water, I have a really great Gregory day pack that is very comfortable. It also holds one ammo can, and other assorted containers, in case I feel like going on a "cache hiding spree." :blink:

I've got a small Camelback backpack that I used to use while cycling. Sometimes I leave the bladder in but most of time it's not in so it's just a backpack. I like it because it's big enough to carry all of my stuff and stay organized but I don't like having it on my back when it's 90 degrees with high humidity. It also gets kind of old having to dismount the thing everytime I need something. I've been looking into trying something different, either a waist pack if I can find one that I like that's not $1million or a murse of some sort.

My current pack is very similar to this

HydrationPacksCamelbackMULE.jpg

My Ex-Girl friend bought me a man bag from old several years ago. Kinda similar to the maxpedition but flatter with a zippered main pocket, and a cd player pocket and cell pocket. Lightwieght, plenty of room for local caches and flat, easy to slide behind my back.

I have a kelty back pack. Most of the time I just leave it in the car and stuff the things I need in my pockets. I like pockets.

The back pack works for longer hikes as well since it holds everything I need plus the Hydration pack. For those I pull the lumbar support out of it's pocket and cinch it up.

For the daily grid I've taken to carrying another back pack, I stuff my lunch in it and it's got all my electronic junk in it in case I need it. Most of the time I don't. I need work pants with more pockets.

Sidekick

It has room for:

How do you carry water? ;)

With my Mountainsmith lumbar pack, I can carry 64 oz. of water. :o If I go on a longer hike, and need more water, I have a really great Gregory day pack that is very comfortable. It also holds one ammo can, and other assorted containers, in case I feel like going on a "cache hiding spree." ;)

I have a bottle carrier that will fit on my belt. If I am going on a longer hike I use a North Face day pack with a hydration bag built in. The OP was asking about a man bag, to me a man bag is a smaller bag.

I have a fanny/lumbar pack that has a pouch for a water bottel but I do not like it, the weight of teh water pulls it down and I keep having to adjust it. I spent many years (around 30) in the outdoor equipment industry and I have tried several lumbar packs including Mt. Smith, I have not found one the I like.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I simply use a normal two-strap backpack. It has room for everything that I need to take with me. I can wear it on my back, and it is stable - I don't have to worry about it slipping off, and it has never gotten caught on anything more than my head or arms.