Why Oh Why...

henly
Followers 2

Anyone who does me a 'favor' by trapping my TB in a dark hole, can they please not bother, I dont care how nice the log entry is.

Im sure not many cachers would like to hear one of their caches described as a dark hole??

I really don't care about your TBs, unless you specifically want me to, no I'm generally talking about my TBs and others who don't want to get into this discussion but still feel the same as I do, if you don't care about your TBs then thats your prerogative but please allow me the freedom to be concerned about mine being trapped.

I never said I didnt care about my TBs and coins but I accept that when they go into the wild they are on their own. We ALL rely on the kindness of of other cachers to keep them moving - what right do you have to dictate to them where they can and cant leave them??? If you want anyone to pick up any of your many TBs then dictating to them that they must be placed in a cache that gets a visit every week is not the way to do it..

Generally Im not talking fluffy bunnies here Im talking (on my TBs anyway) coins that cost from five pounds upward, all with a specific purpose in life, I find them attractive and I suspect others do too, and thats why I want to share them.

If others find them so attractive, why not put them in what you would describe as a dark hole. Would it not encourage someone to visit what could well be a lovely location?

There may well not be a problem as you see it but not all people see such a simplistic view as yours we all have different viewpoints thats not to say you are right and I am wrong.

Apologies if my views on a £5 piece of metal travelling the world are simplistic

I would like my coins to travel every day if possible, so as many people can see and enjoy them as possible, if thats a problem with you, then what can I say.

I assume you have taken into account that every time your coins or bug gets picked up, it risks being forgotten about in the bottom of a rucksack? Lost? Stolen?

Of the 39 TBs that are trapped in various caches, I suspect the owners, except you of course, are not very happy about them being there otherwise whats the point of them being out there.

If the other owners are all particularly bothered, why have one of them not started this this thread? They are after all the very small percentage of TB owners that this is happening to

For your information Skanker there were a total of about 20 TBs for the pond run to USA Which I collected, all of which expressed a aim to travel abroad, and please inform me why you feel the need to troll my posts and placings, is it for the express purpose of trying to shoot me down? also for your information I would like my Tbs to be place in mainstream caches not in out of the way places (but there, I said that before havent I)

Still it take a lot of effort to get through to some people.

No comment.

As for labeling bugs, I don't have a problem with that, if I want to do it, but I don't drill holes in coins and spoil there pristiness purely so i can pander to some selfish sods whims.

I've bought a whole load of coins to release, mostly as replicas

So which one is it? I don't see that attaching a label expressing your wish that this is only to be placed in caches that fit your goals would spoil a laminated scanned copy of a coin in any way at all.......

Edited by keehotee
Wow! Are we really expected to be 24/7 caching machines with the entire TB database engrained in our heads?

If so, as a n00b, maybe I should look for something else as a hobby!

Are you trying to tell me that you are not aware of TBHR7V's mission? Or who it's owner is? Or country of Origin?

Shame on you young n00b!

:unsure::lol::lol:

Wow! Are we really expected to be 24/7 caching machines with the entire TB database engrained in our heads?

If so, as a n00b, maybe I should look for something else as a hobby!

Are you trying to tell me that you are not aware of TBHR7V's mission? Or who it's owner is? Or country of Origin?

Shame on you young n00b!

;):o;)

This is an interesting thread especially as I'm also a n00b ;) We have so far only collected and dropped off two travel bugs, neither of them had anything with them to suggest where they wanted to go or what their mission might be? I'm afraid to say we just picked them up and looked them up on the site when we got back home............saying that if we hadn't picked them up, who knows how long they would've sat in that cache? I think that any movement has got to be good, right?

And surely if your TB is stuck in a cache with not much movement you could politely ask the owner to go and rescue it? If this is allowed?

I'm all for the tag telling me the TB's purpose as this will let me make the decision to pick it up or leave it alone.

This is an interesting thread especially as I'm also a n00b ;) We have so far only collected and dropped off two travel bugs, neither of them had anything with them to suggest where they wanted to go or what their mission might be? I'm afraid to say we just picked them up and looked them up on the site when we got back home............saying that if we hadn't picked them up, who knows how long they would've sat in that cache? I think that any movement has got to be good, right?

And surely if your TB is stuck in a cache with not much movement you could politely ask the owner to go and rescue it? If this is allowed?

I'm all for the tag telling me the TB's purpose as this will let me make the decision to pick it up or leave it alone.

As a "n00b" (your words, not mine, hehe) you speak a lot of sense :o

I have a TB whose goal is to stay in the cache where i put it. It cannot move as it has no legs. I will be dropping it in a local cache very soon and want to see if it stays where it is.

The Mouse With No Legs

If it gets moved by accident / uncaring cacher / malicious evil cacher (delete as applicable) would you then want it to stay in the cache they place it in? Or to me moved back to the starting cache? If it's the second option, you should specify which cache it should be staying in.

Have you got a sister TB of the mouse's legs? Are they properly tagged with a mission card?

Wow...

This has gone on a bit. Clearly an emotive subject.

Given that around 95% of TBs that I've found have had no additional details with them, I take them and its tough if the thing is meant to be going in the opposite direction.

2 years ago we were in the US on holiday (without a computer for two weeks) and brought back some TBs, but none of their owners went du-lally because I'd move them across to UK.

What about the 1,000s of Diabetes TBs that are going around the world. The little beggars even all look the same, until you get it home you have no idea if it wants to go to Stoke or Singapore (sorry, nothing against Stoke).

Just Chill Out and be thankful the things are still travelling.... They're TB, they travel. Live with it or don't release any more. Accept the adventure....:laughing:

Just a thought, If you are unhappy with the length of time a TB has been stuck in a remote cache how about mailing the cache owner and asking them to move it on on their next maintence visit. It worked for us when we had one stuck..... Although ironicly someone else picked it up the day the maintence took place lol.

How long is too long though, spose that varies for everyone, out here in "rural Norfolk" once the locals have found the new cache many of them have loong gaps between visits......

"Wrong Im afraid, when you check the TBs pages it quite plainly says in the top left hand corner in bold type 'OWNER' which implies that the person who releases it, is the owner until it ceases to exist, until then its on loan to whoever has it at the time and its their responsibility to look after it and ensure that it gets as close as possible to its goal."

OK, Im new to this game and I have went to the trackables page and as I see it, it plainly describes what a trackable is. I am highlighting my perceptions to this thread. albeit Ill prob get flamed!

What is a Groundspeak Travel Bug?

Simply put, a Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

Travel Bugs are tracked with the help of users who go online and "grab" them from caches, or receive them from users. The idea is by picking up and dropping off Travel Bugs on the web site you are mirroring the Bug's real world adventures. Each Travel Bug has its own "diary" that follows its movements.

To me, this seems as though a trackable is not "on loan" to cachers. We are Helping it move along, just like a real life hitchiker. not "borrowing" from the "Owner". Although I do agree that some thought should be put into it and I wouldnt like my bug to go out to a cache thats only been found once in 2 years. That would be a shame.

OK, now I sit back and put on my protective gear!

It ain't my fault, guv, honest.... When I ventured up north last November for an event, I dropped a bug in what was then, a new cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...20-3f9aa7dfe615). It had only been visited once before I got there so I figured all those noisy, brash, creamy beer supping northern cachers would be queueing up to go find it. What happens.... nothing, that's what happens. Seems they're all a bunch of big girls blouses and the thought of few yards across the fells turns them weak at the knees. Must be the lousy beer up there that's turned them all soft. As I'm heading that way again, this weekend, it looks like I'll have to rescue the poor little bug myself.... and me a shandy supping softy southerner (according to Mandy, anyway) :):D:ninja:

It's on the top of my list when I get time to do the local caches honestly. :huh: and no beer involved. ;)

Edited by G Force

Now I know everybody caches differently but alot of the time I will look at a cache page and print it off (or note all the information I need) before visiting that cache the same day (or maybe in the following week if I am travelling). Therefore you can see if a cache you will be visiting shortly has any trackables in it, it only takes a couple of seconds to click on the trackables page and see what its mission is, then knowing what trackables you may encounter you can make the decision wether to move the item or log it and leave it.

I like the idea of asking cache owners to move an item on their next maintenance visit if it's been stuck there too long.

Now I know everybody caches differently but alot of the time I will look at a cache page and print it off (or note all the information I need) before visiting that cache the same day (or maybe in the following week if I am travelling). Therefore you can see if a cache you will be visiting shortly has any trackables in it, it only takes a couple of seconds to click on the trackables page and see what its mission is, then knowing what trackables you may encounter you can make the decision wether to move the item or log it and leave it.

I like the idea of asking cache owners to move an item on their next maintenance visit if it's been stuck there too long.

Sometimes a TB will be placed in a cache between your downlloading the informatin and actualy making the trip. I think if owners reallycare where the TB is to go they are responsible for clearylabelling it.

I would always move a TB on if it had been in one of my caches a long time, to one which is visited more frequently.

Abercachers (our local group) started a TB race on April 1st. My bug is clearly labelled as being in a race, but someone saw fit to drop it into a - chocolate cake - in "Nuneaten" on it first pick up, and it has been there ever since. The leader bug has now gone over 8,000 milles!! :laughing:

anyone in the Nuneaton area fancy releasing my prisoner pretty please :o