Opinions on Bushnell's GPS

IF it does what it claims I think it would be a great unit. All of the features are definitely pros. I like the topo maps and sat images. Not so much for caching but they would be great for hunting. I'm in the market for a new unit now but the price tag is a little more than I want to shell out.

Cons in my opinion

Spending money on subscriptions(xm radio and bushnell for maps) to take full advantage of all the options.

Compatability with mapping software at least for now.

I haven't been able to find specs yet but it looks big and heavy.

Spare lithium ion battery pack runs $40. No popping a couple of AA's in this.

If money were no object I would already have one on the way to try it out. I doubt it will be long before Garmin and others have something very similar out....................

Cons in my opinion

Spending money on subscriptions(xm radio and bushnell for maps) to take full advantage of all the options.

I can't say anything about performance, but according to http://bushnell.com/gps/gps_onix200CR.cfm

# Runs on two AA batteries (not included)

# Dimensions: 108mm (h) x 44mm (w) x 18mm (d)

and any GPS that has maps uses proprietary, somewhat expensive maps.

Based on the satellite photos I saw on the Bushnell website, I'm not even going to ask for a demo at the local store.

The first GPS manufacturer to provide software that allows you to calibrate and upload your own sat/aerial photos will mostly likely capture the market these guys are looking at.

I'm not sure what the point of having a 100 channel satellite radio is. Look at the sky, check the barometer on your regular GPS and if you can't tell that it's raining, snowing, windy or sunny then ..... I'm starting to laugh and can't continue this line of thought.

Based on the satellite photos I saw on the Bushnell website, I'm not even going to ask for a demo at the local store.

The first GPS manufacturer to provide software that allows you to calibrate and upload your own sat/aerial photos will mostly likely capture the market these guys are looking at.

I'm not sure what the point of having a 100 channel satellite radio is. Look at the sky, check the barometer on your regular GPS and if you can't tell that it's raining, snowing, windy or sunny then ..... I'm starting to laugh and can't continue this line of thought.

I have ordered mine over a month ago and the main reason for buying it was the X. M. radio weather. Obviously, you're not an outdoors person. I like to backpack in the Appalachian Mountains for up to two weeks at a time and how many times I have found myself being surprised by a thunderstorm with lightning striking all around me usually on the edge of a cliff or near the mountain top. If you had ever been in the woods you would realize you have limited visibility you're going up and down mountains and so your barometer is completely useless. Besides a barometer is a poor forecasting tool for summertime thunderstorms. Ever been canoeing in the valley between mountains and have a thunderstorm come upon you. The list goes on and on. And before you ask, you can get XM radio in the woods but not continuously but you only need to check the weather periodically most of the time.

Daniel

Hi Daniel;

I have spent a fair amount of time in the bush. Your point about needing accurate and timely weather information in mountaineous areas is well taken. I live in a very flat area where I can see the weather coming in from miles away and hadn't really given that much thought to the needs of others.

What really irked me about the Bushnell unit is the quality of the satellite imagery. Perhaps in areas where high resolution satellite photos are available this won't be a problem. However for a significant portion of North America this is going to be a huge issue. You can register at the Bushnell website and check the imagery quality for yourself.

The sat photos is turn lead to an only harsh view of the XM radio feature.

Please post a mini user review of the GPS when you get it. I'd like to hear how you like it.

XMap 5.2 will allow this and it is simply amazing what can be done with it (not quite sure by what you mean by calibrate but you can get any aerial image and have XMap display it, using the Image Registration, and then you can send that same image/cut map to the PN-20). Pretty decent package for the money.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" Bod Dylan.

IF it does what it claims I think it would be a great unit. All of the features are definitely pros. I like the topo maps and sat images. Not so much for caching but they would be great for hunting. I'm in the market for a new unit now but the price tag is a little more than I want to shell out.

Cons in my opinion

If money were no object I would already have one on the way to try it out. I doubt it will be long before Garmin and others have something very similar out....................

That's for the 400cr not the 200.

I like the idea of a weather service married with a GPS. It could have been very useful to last weekend up in the mountains. That being said, I had read somewhere there were accuracy issues.

That's funny. I had the wind blow in from 4 different directions in less than 3 hours on one day over a 2 night stay in the mountains. What's that tell ya? That the mountains have some squirrely wind. Nothing more, nothing less. Having a weather pattern overlaid on the GPS screen is a superb idea.

When you get out of the flatlands look me up. I'll show you how blind you really are tucked in the mountains when it comes to knowing which way the wind blows.

That's funny. I had the wind blow in from 4 different directions in less than 3 hours on one day over a 2 night stay in the mountains. What's that tell ya? That the mountains have some squirrely wind. Nothing more, nothing less. Having a weather pattern overlaid on the GPS screen is a superb idea.

When you get out of the flatlands look me up. I'll show you how blind you really are tucked in the mountains when it comes to knowing which way the wind blows.

"how blind you really are tucked in the mountains when it comes to knowing which way the wind blows"

Blind! :lol: So very true. I have been in the wide open plains and the mountains. And in the mountains you need all the help you can get.