Deceptive Cache Post

roy&roz

Is it proper to purposely deceive geocachers with false post? Mainly posting the dropping of TB's in a posted cache and they were never dropped in the cache because the cache is soooo small it wouldn't even hold the TB tag. Was told by the hider this was done on purpose as a joke, kind of a way to screw with people's heads.

Is this considered acceptable practice? :blink:

Is it proper to purposely deceive geocachers with false post? Mainly posting the dropping of TB's in a posted cache and they were never dropped in the cache because the cache is soooo small it wouldn't even hold the TB tag. Was told by the hider this was done on purpose as a joke, kind of a way to screw with people's heads.

Logging a TB in and out of a cache that it visited even if it can't stay is ok.

Doing it to tease people and make them waste time and gas to try and get it. That's not ok.

If the intent of the TB was to imply a larger cache container, and the owner intended not knowing the size of the container to be part of the challenge, then I'd say this was a reasonable deception.

If it was to merely get cachers to do the cache for the TB and then find it missing, then I'd say it was pretty lame.

I've found a cache where the hint for one of the stages was "camo container". The container was covered in camo tape, but rather than being hidden in nearby bushes, it was hidden in a dark concealed area that required no camouflage. Had it not been for the deceptive hint, the actual hiding place was the obvious spot. I thought the deception was pretty clever considering it was my reliance on the hint that caused the decpetion. This was consistent with the trickiness of the prior stages.

Sounds like someone wanted to steal the TB, but logged it into the cache first so it would look either someone else took it.

I did find a local "small" cache (about half a size larger than a "micro") with a geocoin. The coin was not in the cache itself, but instead beside the cache under the same lamp post skirt. Not the safest place to leave it.

And I agree with the others; logging a TB into then immediately out of a cache (I call it "dipping") to log mileage is acceptable. Intentionally logging a TB into a cache without actually dropping it is just stupid and sounds like something an immature pre-teen would do.

Depending on the deception I think it could be OK.

I've listed trade items that I didn't put in the cache. (e.g. "Left a Big Mac and fries, the cold weather should keep them fresh for a few days" or I've listed a trade that no way would fit inside a micro (e.g. "Took the VHS tape, and D cell Mag Lite, left a chess set and a basketball"), or dumb trades ("Took the pen and little notepad, left...."). I would think they were obvious jokes and harmless. I can't imagine the owner going out in huff to remove the Big Mac, or replace the logbook and pen I "took").

I think there should be some room for levity.

Now deceptive logs with malicious intent are wrong.

<snip>

Was told by the hider this was done on purpose as a joke, kind of a way to screw with people's heads.

<snip>

Did they actually put the TB in the cache and leave it there? Or did they put it in and take it back out again?

If they left the TB in the cache, do they own the TB? Just curious. If not, they also "screwing with the TB owner." :blink:

I agree that is a very immature thing to do and if that person ever places any caches, I would probably put them on my Ignore list.

Logging a TB in and out of a cache that it visited even if it can't stay is ok.

Doing it to tease people and make them waste time and gas to try and get it. That's not ok.

Ditto

We often "drop" TBs and coins into our caches when doing a trade, but we always note that the TBs aren't actually IN the cache! We often use one of our archived caches so as not to make anyone wonder if they're there or not!

I've got a sense of humor, but if PURPOSELY you cost me a few gallons of liquid gold to go after a TB that isn't there, I see no humor at all!

I've got a sense of humor, but if PURPOSELY you cost me a few gallons of liquid gold to go after a TB that isn't there, I see no humor at all!

OOOH! I am SO with you, Roddy! Especially here where gas recently topped out at 6.86$ a gallon! :rolleyes:

Went about 100 miles roundtrip today to get a FTF and it cost us almost 20 bucks in gas! Ridiculous! :D

BUT... we got the FTF, hehehe! Hey, a caching family has to have priorities, right!

I log a personal milage tracking TB through caches and have occassionally forgotten to pull it back out. However, if folks were to look at the bug's page before rushing out to grab it, hopefully they'd realize that it wasn't actually left behind and wouldn't fit in any cache I've ever seen. If I've ever caused any strife by forgetting to pull it back out, I appologize. BUT would have to question the sensibility of whoever was expecting to go grab it. Look here to see what I mean.

Dave

OOOH! I am SO with you, Roddy! Especially here where gas recently topped out at 6.86$ a gallon! :rolleyes:

Went about 100 miles roundtrip today to get a FTF and it cost us almost 20 bucks in gas! Ridiculous! :D

BUT... we got the FTF, hehehe! Hey, a caching family has to have priorities, right!

THis is exactly the stuff I'm talking about. If you were REALLY concerned about the gas, you would never have attempted this cache today. Truth be told, you were all about the FTF. You all have to realize that gas is a major part of geocaching these days. If you can't afford to waste a little, then find another hobby, or get a bike.

Nobody makes you go anywhere. If you choose to leave your house and drive to a cache, just because someone left a note claiming to have dropped a bug there, that's on you.

I have come to realize that most geocachers that post to this board on a regular basis have no sense of humor and take this crap way too seriously.

Anything done to "mess with people's heads" is totally unacceptable to them.

I on the other hand, would find this quite humorous myself.

Messing with people's heads is one thing. Downright lying and causing them to spend time and money needlessly is another.

Answer this question please, and be honest. Say you're into travelbugs in a big way. You see this certain tb logged into a cache that is 30 miles away so you load up and drive the distance only to find that the tb isn't there. You would probably be a bit disappointed but you figure someone beat you to it which sometimes happens in gecocaching. But, then you later find that the person who logged it into the cache had lied about dropping it there in the first place. Honestly, would you really find this humorous? :rolleyes:

We often "drop" TBs and coins into our caches when doing a trade, but we always note that the TBs aren't actually IN the cache! We often use one of our archived caches so as not to make anyone wonder if they're there or not!

I can't imagine having to buy liquid gold by the gallon.

6383210.jpg

I have come to realize that most geocachers that post to this board on a regular basis have no sense of humor and take this crap way too seriously.

Messing with people's heads is one thing. Downright lying and causing them to spend time and money needlessly is another.

Answer this question please, and be honest. Say you're into travelbugs in a big way. You see this certain tb logged into a cache that is 30 miles away so you load up and drive the distance only to find that the tb isn't there. You would probably be a bit disappointed but you figure someone beat you to it which sometimes happens in gecocaching. But, then you later find that the person who logged it into the cache had lied about dropping it there in the first place. Honestly, would you really find this humorous? :rolleyes:

Let's face it, there are people out there who find tripping someone or pulling the chair out from someone funny and can't understand why others don't also find it funny.

It is real bad form because many people clearly do not find it funny and don't want to have to deal with this type of "humor". The line is crossed when ones activity are adversely impacting others enjoyment of the sport.

Nobody makes you go anywhere. If you choose to leave your house and drive to a cache, just because someone left a note claiming to have dropped a bug there, that's on you.

It's "not on me" just because another person lies. Nobody makes me go anywhere but i do sometimes base my decisions by what others in our geocaching realm do. Maybe this is a regonal thing and expected where you live but i can guarantee you that lying and "messing with people's heads" in this manner wouldn't be tolerated down here! :rolleyes:

Ya know, I can honestly say that if someone tried to pull a funny, to be funny, and I turned out to be the butt of the funny, then I'm fine with that, and quite frankly, I'm pretty sure I'd laugh at it.

Hell, I'm the kind of person that jokes about the fact that I've lost a sibling in one car accident, and have another sibling that is now severely disabled as a result of a different accident 13 years later. People deal with different things in different ways, and just because I choose to laugh at something you don't find funny, or even that the majority of other people don't find funny, doesn't mean that it isn't funny.

I find most of the regular posters here have great senses of humor. Perhaps it is you who are taking their posts too seriously?

Hell no. I can laugh at anything. People who know me know that. These clowns need to get over themselves though. Like a couple people have already said, if you CHOOSE to get in your car, and burn the gas to go chacse a cache, or a FTF, or a specific TB, and you don't get it, NO MATTER THE REASON, that is your own fault. And if it's because I got you there with some witty posting or logging, then I'll laugh even harder at you.

Maybe I just have a strange sense of humor. I have never found slapstick to be funny.

Deliberately lying, by saying that one has put a TB in a cache, when one has not, is a sign of

1) A sick mind. This person should seek professional help, or

2) A geocoin/TB thief. (Yes. I've seen that happen.)

On the other fin, deceptive clues can be quite humorous. (They're not lying. They're just being (okay...) mean(?), humorous(?)

I got a great laugh out of "Cache container is a fake rock." Well. It is! But it's magnetized, and inside a guardrail! Or one that I put out: "Third stage is in the middle hole." The coords lead near a large rock formation. No, it's not in the rock formation! It's a fake rock in the middle woodpecker hole in the tree that the coords lead you to. (We hate fake rock containers in a pile of rocks. So we put our fake rock in a woodpecker hole!) This has befuddled a few cachers. Hee hee hee. But the hint is both accurate and precise.

I dont know I personally could not give a rats but hair about any travel bug enough to run out to a cache just to get a bug, but having moved over 200 bugs I am bored with them, especially since most of my bugs and coins have disappeared. If a bug tickles me fancy when I find it in a cache I'll grab but otherwise who cares. One of my caches has about 200 coins logged into it, but they aint there they are in my coin book where they can be viewed admired and not disappear.

I never meant this to be a travel bug discussion.

We new from the description we were looking for a minature ammo can. Part of our team searched 4 times with that knowledge. Not posting a DNF. The hider would give hints ONLY to those posting DNF's and ASKING for the hint. Once we were able to search as a whole team and still not find it, I posted the DNF and asked for the hint. The hint didn't give us anymore to go on than what we already knew. Then, we see a few people found it and dropped TB's. So I'm thinking I'm not as smart as I thought I was. When I looked at the TB's page there was no way it would fit into the tiny ammo can. So we go out looking again. This time searching for a larger container, armed with the hint and the phone number of the hider. After searching all four corners of a very busy intersection, down on hands and knees under lightpoles, I call him. He confirms we are searching for a minature ammo can. He wants to meet us. I'm not sure this is a good thing because part of the team has spent more than a few nights and a day searching for this elusive hide. But we agree to meet him once we find this one. There it is. Right where we had looked, even cleaned debris out from under the pole, it was placed up in the cavity of the pole right next to lines supply power to the electronics mounted on the pole.

We drive to our next cache and he shows up, introduces himself and that's when he tells me, he thought it would be funny to get together with a few friends and post that TB's were dropped to try and fool those knowing it was a minature ammo can. What made me more upset is how he readily wanted to give us hints on other caches he had found that other people owned. We declined any hints what-so-ever and made our way on to another cache in the area.

Lord knows I'm all about some humor, if you only knew. We love having fun. This was nothing but deception. Yes, I will no longer go for any more hides from this person. Luckily in the same town we found some wonderful hides with no clues in an urban setting. Rocks, tree bark, fake recepticals...all from descriptions, clever naming, and very few clues.

[...Hell, I'm the kind of person that jokes about the fact that I've lost a sibling in one car accident, and have another sibling that is now severely disabled as a result of a different accident 13 years later. People deal with different things in different ways, and just because I choose to laugh at something you don't find funny, or even that the majority of other people don't find funny, doesn't mean that it isn't funny.

Just to clarify.

There are some people who are practical jokers. They do things, it's funny and everbody laughs. They seldome if ever go too far though. If they do...they appologize and make things right. They know the limits.

Then there are the ones who think everthing they do is funny, have no clue about limits, and blame the world when nobody laughs at their utter stupidity.

Laugh with the first guy, have pity on the second guy and help him see that there is a line that can be crossed and when you do, it's not funny.

One of my practical jokes backfired. The victum thought it was funny, I thought it was funny, but the rest of Wickersham hall (back when it was the all female dorm) was not amused. I spent a lot of time cleaning up after I fessed up to being the culprit.

...Hell no. I can laugh at anything. People who know me know that. These clowns need to get over themselves though. Like a couple people have already said, if you CHOOSE to get in your car, and burn the gas to go chacse a cache, or a FTF, or a specific TB, and you don't get it, NO MATTER THE REASON, that is your own fault. And if it's because I got you there with some witty posting or logging, then I'll laugh even harder at you.

Turns out you are that other guy who doesn't know the limits. I'd be happy to help you out, but you are still in denial that you have a problem.

Just to clue you in on the Gas. If you choose to be FTF. That's your choice and your risk if you are Second. It's a known risk. If you choose to get in the car for a FTF only to have them say "Ha Ha, Jokes on you, I haven't placed the cache yet and just wanted you to drive out here..." That's not funny. The cache owner is a freaking moron for thinking it is.

Let me make that clear. THE CACHE OWNER WOULD BE A FREAKING MORON. Anyone else who thinks it's funny has a screw loose. If you think it's funny, then I think that YOU have a screw loose.

I can just picture your ability to laugh at anything.

That moment in the date has arrived. It's time for a kiss, you can feel it, she can feel it, the air is thick with the tenstion that has to be broken with kiss, or...it's all over. As you lean in, she responds and closes her eyes. The magic is in the air and then you bust out with a big belly laugh. "Ha Ha, you had garlic for dinner, you stink! Ha Ha Ha...!"

Yup funny allright.

What I miss most about Alaska is arguing with folks like you.

[There are some people who are practical jokers. They do things, it's funny and everbody laughs. They seldome if ever go too far though. If they do...they appologize and make things right. They know the limits.

Then there are the ones who think everthing they do is funny, have no clue about limits, and blame the world when nobody laughs at their utter stupidity.

Laugh with the first guy, have pity on the second guy and help him see that there is a line that can be crossed and when you do, it's not funny.

You left out sado-masochists. Some people thing slapstick is funny. (See forum discussion of a tape recorder that plays a shotgun blast when you open the cache.) Some of us do not.

I think that OP has found an excellent candidate for his/her Ignore List.