Sharing answers to puzzle caches

What's the general opinion on this?

If a puzzle cache is set with, for argument's sake, Difficulty: 4.5 and Terrain 1.5 the challenge is obviously in solving the puzzle; NOT finding the cache.

Am I alone in being irritated with teams 'tagging along' etc :blink:

To me it's as bad as signing the log on someone else's behalf

What's the general opinion on this?

If a puzzle cache is set with, for argument's sake, Difficulty: 4.5 and Terrain 1.5 the challenge is obviously in solving the puzzle; NOT finding the cache.

Am I alone in being irritated with teams 'tagging along' etc :blink:

Both practices are rife. So long as you make it to GZ, acceptable imo too :P

Is it any better/worse than asking somebody who has already solved a puzzle for a hint on what to do? Personally there are only a few puzzle caches I have done where I haven't had to ask for help somewhere along the line, and even then have had to go back for more help on occasion, unfortunately sometimes more than once (cough cough :blink: ).

I have set a puzzle cache and know people have had to ask others for help, and indeed have offered any info required myself, I must admit it doesn't really bother me as long as they acknowledge any help needed by sending me a fiver :P .

.......Am I alone in being irritated with teams 'tagging along' etc :D

Taken to it's logical conclusion don't you approve of couple or family caching teams? Must they all find and log the cache independantly?

It's only a game, enjoy the fun! :P:D

Is someone volunteering - I'd be happy to get duplicates of my stamp made. :blink::) And there was me thinking it's not about the numbers! B)

As someone who is rubbish at puzzles I take all hints, tips and blatant answers I can get :P . I will also share the same info for any caches I have visited with anyone who asks as for me the game is about getting out to (hopefully) nice locations and physically signing the log. :):blink:

When out caching in a small group of three for example.... do you think that only the actual person that finds a traditional cache should be allowed to sign the log? Only one person can actually "find" a cache... unless they step away and pretend they never saw it.

I'm just grateful to see "found it" logs on my caches, puzzles or otherwise.

As someone who is rubbish at puzzles I take all hints, tips and blatant answers I can get :P . I will also share the same info for any caches I have visited with anyone who asks as for me the game is about getting out to (hopefully) nice locations and physically signing the log. :):blink:

I'm with NinjaPete on this one... I hopeless with puzzles, so I am ahppy to be a tagger along! I don't care who does my caches and how they do them, so long as they enjoyed it!!

I go caching with my husband KevW and my kids The penguin boys,

Some times I solve the puzzles some times he solves the puzzles some times we solve the together.

But when we go out caching together its as a team we have 3 sign on names.

Its still a family team.

Its phone a friend that gets up my nose. :rolleyes:

I don't discriminate between three cachers with one team name and three cachers with different solo names - if they cache together then they are welcome to help each other solve the puzzle.

I like people to find my caches and therefore I'm happy to help them by giving a hint, even if some cachers find it hard (you know who you are :rolleyes: )

We solve all our own puzzles, so leave some as we have no idea! A cacher locally sets some based on electronics so they get left and are slowly building nearer the top of our nearest unfound listing. :D

But I am slowly eliminating possible hiding places from one of his using other cacher's pictures and logs, plus the clue and where footpaths go from the parking coordinates, only three more bridges to check :D along 3 miles of a remote canal :rolleyes:

At times we would like a clue but playing the game our way we will get to them one day! I am sure if I asked the owner he may give us a clue but we will have a good go first. ;)

Our daughter has her own account so she tags along! I have asked one cache setter if she could log it as she had not done all the stages and he was fine

edit to add last bit on

Edited by gushoneybun1

I tend to treat any puzzle caches I set as a 'Treasure Hunt' kind of thing and don't give any clues or help until after the FTF.

After that it's pretty much a given that the answer's going to get shared around... and to be honest, by that point if anyone's really struggling and getting annoyed by it, I'd be quite happy for them to just email me for the co-ords and treat it like a trad (a sentiment shared by at least one other puzzle setter that I know of).

Caches are there to be found...

Edited by ac-p

and to be honest, by that point if anyone's really struggling and getting annoyed by it, I'd be quite happy for them to just email me for the co-ords

Caches are there to be found...

And believe me.... I don't have a chance of solving one of ac-p's caches the "traditional" way!!

Only one person presumably gets satisfaction over setting a cache that few can work out and that's the owner. Surely more sociable to set a cache that many get pleasure from?

I take what help I can get and admit to it on the Geocaching log.

Don't see any point in putting TB's or coins in those caches because they are so infrequently found which again reduces the incentive to visit.

I quite happily fit more into the "Cheat" category than "Egghead!"

However, each to their own!

P.S. Ther's some devious buggers around the Harrogate area in my neck of the woods.

I sometimes cache with a fellow cacher and we share puzzles, IMO he/she does the solving of the really difficult puzzles.... and I solve the easy ones..........BUT he/she thinks I solve the difficult ones, at the end of the day what I find difficult he/she finds easy and what I find easy he/she finds difficult.......whats wrong with TEAM WORK it brings our community together

...Am I alone in being irritated with teams 'tagging along' etc :rolleyes: ...

You are not alone. In some areas one person solves the puzzle and then the phone a friend network just tells everyone else who wants to know where the cache is and all that work you have done is wasted.

Some finders are thoughtless that way.

Edited by Renegade Knight

but then you get people like myself who can't solve them, and it's not through lack of effort, i just don't have the brain to solve them.

so yes i'm afraid i tag along with friends who have a more analytical mind than myself.

if you are really opposed to that then i'm sorry, i have at least been to your cache and enjoyed the walk/view/experience, for which you have my thanks.

on a slight aside. would you prevent anyone who was in a wheelchair from logging a cache that their able bodied friend retrieved and bought over to them if they could get close? effectively the same question as it's just a matter of ability.

Thanks for all the comments

I think I changed my opinion with every post and agreed with each of you in turn :anibad:

Perhaps I ought to just concentrate on setting traditional/multi caches in nice locations.

But hang on, I have this really good idea for a puzzle cache....... :laughing:

Mark

Edited by Delta68

I suffer from Vertigo so some caches on cliffs are beyond my ability to get to and I have to say that if I was caching with someone else then I wouldn't be happy to claim a cache if I hadn't reached the cache location. I have though pushed myself - scared myself even - to reach some caches.

I enjoy puzzle caches and often work on them together with my son and we'll go and find the cache together.

I'll freely admit I find it annoying that cachers just trade the final coordinates having made no effort to solve the puzzle.

Like most other cachers I'm always willing to hand out hints and clues - though not just give out the final coordinates.

If a puzzle cache is scorded a 4 or 5 for difficulty, then people finding it without solving the puzzle haven't really found a 4/5 star cache.

That said it's only a game - play how you like - how you're happy with at the end of the day.

Only one person presumably gets satisfaction over setting a cache that few can work out and that's the owner. Surely more sociable to set a cache that many get pleasure from?

Is it necessary to set 'sociable' caches? I don't think so. When I set a cache, I set it to please me. If others choose to go and find it, that's a bonus. If nobody bothers, I don't much care. Selfish...? Yes, of course it is but we all play the game our own way. As far as I'm aware, there are no guidelines that says I have to set caches to please other people.... I'd never get one set as we all know it's impossible to please everyone. If information regarding any of my caches is passed on from one team to another and I find out about it, it gives me a bit of a buzz knowing that I've beaten at least one team :laughing:

This is my first time on the Forums. I had actually logged in to start a thread about something else but got side-tracked onto this!

If I am not wrong, I am one of the 2 cachers who are being held up as an example here perhaps as I am one of the last 2 cachers to have logged Delta68's latest puzzle cache last?

Anyway, why might it be that Butttercup and thecheekygirls cache togather? Contrary to popular belief I am actually not a sheep, but a 40-something female who has been unable to work for the last 16 months due to increasing mobility problems as a result of Rhuematoid Arthritis :laughing: . Taking a cheekygirl (and there is more than one) out on caching trips with me has several advantages...

...Company on those long days when you miss work and all that happens there, someone to help you over stiles perhaps or at least to be there in case you have a problem, this coupled with the fact that however pretty some of the locations are, sometimes being a female alone in this sometimes dark world is not always a good idea.

As an owner of caches myself, and part-owner of some of thecheekygirl caches, I am more than happy to offer help (on some caches) once the FTF has been claimed. In fact, we have decided that puzzle caches are not the most popularly visited of all of our caches and have even converted one from puzzle to straight in an attempt to get a few more "hits".

So, sorry if we have upset anyone, but I will continue to cache with others - in fact this time next week I will be in the Yorkshire Dales on a family gathering. Anyone lucky enough to own a cache in that area that we visit may well get FOUR logs from our group and we can fit in one car (anyone want me to add their names too? let me know!)

Is it necessary to set 'sociable' caches? I don't think so. When I set a cache, I set it to please me. If others choose to go and find it, that's a bonus. If nobody bothers, I don't much care. Selfish...? Yes, of course it is but we all play the game our own way. As far as I'm aware, there are no guidelines that says I have to set caches to please other people.... I'd never get one set as we all know it's impossible to please everyone. If information regarding any of my caches is passed on from one team to another and I find out about it, it gives me a bit of a buzz knowing that I've beaten at least one team :laughing:

Hi Pharisee,

Seems you pretty much agree with my statement although we have different perceptions of the purpose of the game. I could question why, having hidden a cache, you bother to publish the co-ordinates! Surely (Okay I won't call you Shirley) you get at least a small tingle of pleasure when someone logs a find on your caches? Suppose its subjective rather than objective whether the tingle is greater than the buzz you refer to.

You'll probably get more buzzes than tingles if I come down your neck of the woods, that's for sure. Cashe on and best wishes.

Not seen a cache with the words...

YOU MUST SOLVE THIS PUZZLE WITHOUT HELP ...........yet!

Let those who enjoy solving puzzles solve them and those who enjoy finding caches find them.

Personally I enjoy solving a semi-tricky cache but I do tag along with others too.

Sarah

Edited by The Morgan Mob

P.S. Ther's some devious buggers around the Harrogate area in my neck of the woods.

Now who could they be??? :ninja::):D:huh:

We have set a couple and freely offer help when people are struggleing... and indeed I know myself how rewarding finding a puzzle is after much hard word, even though it may have required a nudge or two along the way.

MaxKim.

I logged a puzzle cache as a find, but only because I was there as part of a team. One of the members had solved it prior to our outing. Whilst not getting any puzzle pleasure I did get alot of cache pleasure.

I was told by one cacher that they refused to log the find of a cache involving a fairly physical nature, even though a member of the team was able to make the cache find. The thinking behind this was that if they weren't fit/tough enough to get to the cache on their own(and they were not) they were not worthy enough to log the cache.

Personally I think if you're part of a 'TEAM' anything goes, however as has already been mentioned you have to play it your own way.

Aiiiiiiii

I, like Buttercup, suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis. I cache with my husband and there are some caches we have done that I physically cannot get to but since one member of our team can reach these caches I have no problem logging it as a find. We also often cache with a friend as her partner isn't as interested in caching and we like to cache in a group. When working on a puzzle cache sometimes she will come up with the solution, sometimes we will. We share the answers and each log the find. If I had found a puzzle cache she had not, I would help her if she were stuck but would not just give her the answer.