Caches Along a Route Bug...

KaiserKlan

I created a route per instructions from Kansas City, MO to St. Bonifacius, MN of 448.5 miles with 130 points as a .KML file from Google Earth. Then I uploaded this to Geocaching.com in order to create a pocket query.

After clicking 'Upload' you have an opportunity to 'Preview' the file, this preview looks good. So then I click the select box and 'Save Selected Routes' once in my list I can click on the 'Route Name' and see a map of the route again. This is where the problems start, because this map does not even come close to the same map I saw in the preview before uploading.

The start location is correct but the destination is way off some place in Iowa. I've made the route public with the name "Home to John & Char`s.kml" so that you could look at it. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Your route isn't coming up in a search.

Ever since the program updates, some of my Google map images have been off too, most often the blue route line turns away from the route I will use. MOST of the time, this has not appeared to effect the caches that are offered, it just basically loses the destination in the image but not the query. Just now, the random route (Cedar City to LVJ, UT) on the site had a wandering route.

To check this, scroll through the caches that come up, pay particular attention to those near the destination and those after the route strays. Are the caches you getting on the desired route? In your case, concentrate the check on caches listed in MN. If none, the route is trashed and will need to be tried again.

Your route isn't coming up in a search.

Ever since the program updates, some of my Google map images have been off too, most often the blue route line turns away from the route I will use. MOST of the time, this has not appeared to effect the caches that are offered, it just basically loses the destination in the image but not the query. Just now, the random route (Cedar City to LVJ, UT) on the site had a wandering route.

To check this, scroll through the caches that come up, pay particular attention to those near the destination and those after the route strays. Are the caches you getting on the desired route? In your case, concentrate the check on caches listed in MN. If none, the route is trashed and will need to be tried again.

OK, right you are, the actual caches returned by the created pocket query are correct. Do you suppose this problem is being worked on?

The right people at Groundspeak know about the problem. There's a problem in the encoding that flips the X and Y axes partially through the route on the map preview. The actual data returned by the PQ is correct.

I just received 2 PQs off of routes that looked fine all the way around. They came up short however. Literally- before the end chosen. Neither of them even had 400 caches so it wasn't that. They were also both under 200 miles so that shouldn't have affected things either.

I just encountered the same problem of the map being wrong after it was uploaded. I used Google Earth to create the route. The caches all seem to be for the correct route though. They are not in order from beginning to end, is anyone else's list like that?

I am encountering the above errors and many more errors. Over the past months I have been able to somehow get around the dozens of errors that show up. But now I fear the entire feature is broken.

In addition to having the route preview graphic be totally wrong, I am encountering Server errors for nearly all Route PQs I create from newly created routes. I have tried both gpx and kml files. Nothing seems to work anymore. I either get server errors when I save the route, or when I try to create a PQ for a route it accepted. Previously-created Route PQs seem to still return the right things but there is no way to edit the request because clicking on that link generates this:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Queue empty.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Queue empty.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Queue empty.]
  System.Collections.Queue.Dequeue() +110
  Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeSignedNumber(Decimal num) +269
  Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeLatLong() +339
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.ShowQueryInfo() +713
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +782
  Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1316
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +515
  System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
  System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
  System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Raine, Please Please Please take a look at this feature and get it working again.

Here is some nice visual proof of the "route preview" bug.

This route will provide the correct caches in your pocket query, but the visual preview is very incorrect. While I have confidence in my own routes, how can anyone reliably use a public routes, using the search function if the previews are completely unreliable?

This route is made public, under the name "Lakeville MN to Omaha NE" but for some reason no matter what I search for, I can't get it to come up in the search results at all. So, is that another bug?

Preview:

174817474-L.jpg

Actual Caches Return From Pocket Query:

174817494-L.jpg

Edited by abnerone

I am having simular problems. Here is what I do.

I created a gpx file that has the route in it using Expert GPS.

Load the GPX file into the caching within a route page, it shows the preview fine, I save it.

Looking at the route page it shows the correct distance but now the it shows "Route Turns: 0"

I select to create a PQ, leave everything default and upon submit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queue empty.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[invalidOperationException: Queue empty.]

Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeLatLong() +240

Geocaching.UI.URQuery.ShowQueryInfo() +713

Geocaching.UI.URQuery.UpdatePocketQuery(Boolean IsNew) +5417

Geocaching.UI.URQuery.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +663

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1330

I'm assuming that this is related, but in addition to the preview issues (i.e. no blue line for newly uploaded routes and bogus blue lines for old routes) I'm seeing another failure when opening PQ's for caches along a route. I have several old PQs along a route that I want to delete. When I select the PQ from the main PQ page to open it I get the following error:

Queue empty.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Queue empty.]
  Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeLatLong() +240
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.ShowQueryInfo() +711
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +781
  Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1320
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +515
  System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
  System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
  System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +772

I created a route per instructions from Kansas City, MO to St. Bonifacius, MN of 448.5 miles with 130 points as a .KML file from Google Earth. Then I uploaded this to Geocaching.com in order to create a pocket query.

After clicking 'Upload' you have an opportunity to 'Preview' the file, this preview looks good. So then I click the select box and 'Save Selected Routes' once in my list I can click on the 'Route Name' and see a map of the route again. This is where the problems start, because this map does not even come close to the same map I saw in the preview before uploading.

The start location is correct but the destination is way off some place in Iowa. I've made the route public with the name "Home to John & Char`s.kml" so that you could look at it. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Hoping this is being worked on. I have this problem and I also have the problem that the route is generally correct but it doesn't "stick" to the road so it takes shortcuts. Where the road bends, the route might go straight, missing the road entirely by quite a bit and then picking the road up again at a later point as it curves back in. When it doesn't stick to the road, it can be off by quite a bit which means the PQ misses caches along the road. I've just done one where I experimented with stating .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, & 3 miles to either side of the route. I finally got all the caches by putting in a very large range.

I'm assuming that this is related, but in addition to the preview issues (i.e. no blue line for newly uploaded routes and bogus blue lines for old routes) I'm seeing another failure when opening PQ's for caches along a route. I have several old PQs along a route that I want to delete. When I select the PQ from the main PQ page to open it I get the following error:

I have been having the same problem. I hit the 'create PQ' button too many times when creating a PQ along a route and now have duplicates. I got the same error after hitting the button to create it so I did it again to make sure it worked. I can not find a way to delete the duplicates or even change the days that my other queries run because I keep getting the error. If someone could fix this soon I would be very appreciative.

Look closely at the images posted by abnerone. The blue line you see for the route is a mirror image of the interstate route over to Des Moines and up, the common route for mapping programs (not the shortest route, but the quickest). The caches returned in the second image are what was asked for. It is a program glitch in the drawing of the route, most of the time doesn't seem to affect the cache return, but may.

I am sure someone is working on this, but it most likely isn't the most pressing matter while new equipment and programs are brought on line. Suggest if you have the means, check your cache returns by plotting on a map like abernone did, or by randomly checking some of the caches returned to see if they are on the route requested.