List of Good & Bad Cache Containers?

I wondered if anybody had ever compiled a list of good & bad cache containers?

Yes, we can buy containers from Groundspeak. And yes, they're not terribly expensive. Ammo boxes, I don't know what they cost. But many of us have limited budgets and still wanna play -- we have to use what we've got.

As I prepare, along with my kids, to hide our first cache, I'm thinking about what I have on hand...this info might help many others!

Obviously anything glass is out of the question. Any material that is not waterproof or is unlikely to stay that way after prolonged exposure to the elements is out. Anything that resembles trash is probably a bad idea.

Some good ones I've found --

Plastic coffee can

Old cell phone covered in camo tape, strapped to a tree limb! (the "prize" was in the battery compartment, actually one stage of a multi)

2-gallon round cooler wrapped in camo tape

The ubiquitous Ammo Box

PB Jar wrapped in camo tape

The ol' standard Key Box Micro

Film containers, Pill bottles

ONE Lock-N-Lock

Some not-so-good ones:

Gladware Box (my first find a couple years ago -- actually a letterbox, in really sad shape)

Film container missing the cap

NO container, just a log sheet stuffed in a fence pipe

Paintball jar (lid was hard to open and leaked)

Thanks in advance for reading & commenting.

Locally I've seen coffee cans gnawed by rodents and I seldom see that on any other cache type. Film Canisters suck all around.

Ammo Cans

Decon Containers

Tupperware

Rubbermaid with the blue top.

Are my personal favorites.

Peoples experience with the Decon varies. Some areas seem to be able to keep them dry and some areas you never see one that isn't wet on the inside.

I've tried a glass jar, fishing bobber, tackle box, coin collector box and ammo cans.

The only good one was the ammo can. (Which I now use on most of my caches. I have yet to replace the tackle box.)

I've wondered about the new Lock N Seal containers from Glad though. They are cheap, but will they hold up?

Anybody tried those.

The problem with lists like this is it only deals with generalities. For instance, film cans with the caps that snap over the container stink. Those that have the cap that snaps into the container are generally pretty water resistant.

In fact, location is everything. The baddest of the bad containers can be an excellent choice in the right location. A leaky container placed in a dry environment can be awesome. Containers that strike fear in the heart of the populous are terrific if placed in muggle-free zones.

Refillable plastic water bottles (from the dollar store) seem to work well. They are often clear or transparent, so the "It's a bomb!" thing won't happen. The shape allows them to be hidden in hollow trees and logs with ease. They are not huge, but are ample enough to hold swag and TB's. And since they are made to hold water, they are watertight.

I love ammo boxes and decon containers. I've never had problems with film canisters as long as they have the lids. Peanut butter jars are okay too (see the peanut butter jar war thread if you want to argue, lol). Tupperware seems to warp too easily so the lids don't seal properly. Small ziplock bags that are simply squeezed into the bottom of a magnetic decoy (like something without a cover) always seem to be soaked. I also don't like pill bottles because they are a pain to get the log out of.

I love cammoed containers, like things that look like something else. But those sometimes get ruined if not properly contained. I have yet to hide my first cache (waiting for 100 finds to earn the privilege), but I've seen what works and doesn't work. When I start hiding mine, I think I'll go with ammo cans, decons and fake cammoed containers. Oh yeah, and I HATE nano-micro-whateveryoucall them containers. Can't remember if any that I've seen have been wet inside, but they can be hard to work with (I can never get the log to roll up tight enough).

I painted a large, screw top vitamin container for one of my caches. I use screw tops to keep the water and moisture out. It has worked well so far.

Tupperware should be good, but not Gladware containers. Match containers seem to be waterproof as are beach coin containers with a screw top. The beach containers are designed to hold a few dollars, your car keys, and are designed to float.

Anything with a screw top and flexible seal, o-ring, or rubber washer should be good.

Location is a big factor in determining whether a container is good or bad. Example: Lock-n-locks are pretty good containers, as long as they are protected from direct sunlight. If they're not, they become brittle and fall apart.

I've had two LnL caches, one that I adopted that was covered in a pile of rocks, the other I housed inside a concrete outer box. The pile-o-rocks one fell to ruin in a year. The one in the concrete vault still has that new-plastic smell after almost two years.

In the desert, most plastic containers turn to junk pretty quickly. If the sun and temperature swings don't get 'em, the rodents do.

Plastic coffee can

These get chewed up around here quickly and often leak
Old cell phone covered in camo tape, strapped to a tree limb! (the "prize" was in the battery compartment, actually one stage of a multi)
Doesn't sound too waterproof.
2-gallon round cooler wrapped in camo tape
These often leak water via the threads unless they have gasket of some kind.
The ubiquitous Ammo Box
Perfection!! (with a good gasket) - about $3 to $8 each used
PB Jar wrapped in camo tape
See recent discussion on these....
Almost sure to leak unless secondary protection is included or hide style keeps it dry
Film containers, Pill bottles
Many (not all) are Leaky
Lock-N-Lock
Very good 2nd to ammo can.

For micros - Walmart sells sealed match containers for about 88 cents and they have an o-ring.

Here are two articles regarding cache containers I wrote for Today's Cacher that might be useful:

Regular Containers

Micro Containers

There really are no universally bad containers that I can think of. Most containers can work as long as they are shielded from the elements and animals. Unfortunately with geocaches that is rarely possible.

Some good ones:

Ammo boxes (by far the best, the next, Lock n Locks are a distant second).

Lock n Locks

Rubber Maid Flex n Seal (formerly Seal n Saver)

Nalgene bottles, straight jars and cryo tubes

bison cylinders

waterproof match boxes

waterproof pill cases

M & M containers

Diabetes test strip containers

Lousy ones (many of these can work just fine if shielded from the weather):

Coffee cans (plastic and metal)

deli/Chinese food containers

Gladware and similar throw away containers

tool and tackle boxes

Sterlite boxes

altoids tins

Ziploc bags

Rubbermaid Serve n Savers and Stainshield

Tupperware

Dollar store plastic containers

film canisters

Hide a Keys

cassette cases

AOL tins

Listerine breath strip containers

PVC pipe

anything that once held food

My favorite will always be the ammo can. One container I've used for my caches is a pelican style case, which is very weather proof, but is expensive. I came up with a few that were used as electronic instument cases. The instruments were junked, so I grabbed the old cases for caches! I've gotten a lot of compliments on them, too.

I've used a Planters Peanut Jar (the large 5x5x8). It's plastic and the lid seals extremely well. I've hidden two that never leaked, but both were muggled. My newest is a paintball pod (roughly 2x12") with a snap close lid. Waterproof and easy to open, painted a in a nice camo pattern.

I had good success with an empty 1 gallon paint can that I purchased at Lowes, bought the lid, the can and the plastic overlid and placed it in a tree in a harsh area with a hank of rope to tie it in place. A little fleck paint to make it fit in with the surroundings and it was a go. I have several others painted up for just that type of environment. Cheaper than an ammo can.It went through 5 or 6 seperate flood episodes and remained dry for over 18 months--I called the cache I can wait GCQG6N7baf5b2e-37e0-4aaf-9ae7-f9920959ac42.jpg

I had good success with an empty 1 gallon paint can that I purchased at Lowes, bought the lid, the can and the plastic overlid and placed it in a tree in a harsh area with a hank of rope to tie it in place. A little fleck paint to make it fit in with the surroundings and it was a go. I have several others painted up for just that type of environment. Cheaper than an ammo can.It went through 5 or 6 seperate flood episodes and remained dry for over 18 months--I called the cache I can wait GCQG6N7baf5b2e-37e0-4aaf-9ae7-f9920959ac42.jpg

Do you need a screwdriver to get it open?

Here are a coupe of things I've used with great success:

Germany Army Butter Dish - Has a gasket, and take primer/paint real well.

Nalgene 1 liter water bottle. Definitely waterproof! LLBean even has one pre-camo'ed!

The "Dish" is one of the best smaller containers I have seen. I have had them in the field for a couple of years as cache containers. The only problem is one was stolen 3 times.

They are water proof, animal proof, and strong enough to stand on, and very cheap.

Another source: The "Dish"

Do you need a screwdriver to get it open?

Yes (I happen to have found that one).

Do NOT use a large, black, protein shake jug from GNC covered in black undercoating, then covered in fleck paint. The undercoating did a great job of covering the scent of the protein shake powder, however the combo of black rubber material on a black plastic container absorbed heat like it was going out of style. Today the container looks like one of those VCR tapes left in the car window.

We try to stick exclusively to ammo cans or lock-n-locks these days. We don't bother to use camo paint on the lock-n-lock containers - we wrap them in camo burlap and that gets rid of the squarish look. One of our lock-n-locks has been submerged in river rapids for almost seven months and is still water tight. That's a good deal at four bucks.

Hiding coordinates for a multi? Use an engraved dog tag or engrave a piece of electrical conduit then paint an appropriate color. For a natural look use copper as it will camo itself over time. No container necessary.

·

·

·

·

·

·

I don't think I've ever found a key box cache where the log sheet hadn't been damaged by water.  Some times, the owner tries to protect the log sheet by putting it in a ziplock bag inside the key box.  That doesn't work.

A cache container really needs to be watertight.  Key boxes are not.

·

·

·

·

·

·

I don't think I've ever found a key box cache where the log sheet hadn't been damaged by water. Some times, the owner tries to protect the log sheet by putting it in a ziplock bag inside the key box. That doesn't work.

A cache container really needs to be watertight. Key boxes are not.

Key boxes are for keys. I hate 'em. They are a lazy mans cache container.

Anything that can be described as micro would be on my bad list.

Around here everything seems to be a micro in a pine tree. Yey.

The good news is that you can totally avoid micros if you've decided that you don't like them. Yeah!!!

Well if everything there is a micro in a pine tree then that effectively eliminates geocaching for the guy.

The good news is that you can totally avoid micros if you've decided that you don't like them. Yeah!!!
Well if everything there is a micro in a pine tree then that effectively eliminates geocaching for the guy.
My psychic powers tell me that everything is not a micro in a pine tree.

DSC_0805.jpg

ammo cans and Lock n Locks for me

I used to really like matchstick containers, my opinion of them has gone downhill in recent months as I'm finding more and more of mine are wet. I'm doing less and less micros nowdays anyway because I want big logbooks in my caches people can actually write something in.

<SNIP>

I used to really like matchstick containers, my opinion of them has gone downhill in recent months as I'm finding more and more of mine are wet. I'm doing less and less micros nowdays anyway because I want big logbooks in my caches people can actually write something in.

Nice camo.
<SNIP>

Nice camo.
That is nice camo. Some people are really artistic.

I really like cryo tubes. If you are one of those cachers who likes micros, but hates film cans, buy some cryo tubes.

where do you buy these?

I'd like some of those too. Briansnat - if you remember who sold you those vials please let me know. :unsure:

How do you know unless you try them?

Some can be really fun if you have other locals that are more creative.

If they aren't then challenge yourself to make a cool micro or two.