Batteries for gps receivers

GPS treasuredragon

I look up on radioshack.com and found some that last a good while.

they also have a rapid charger for them to

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=family

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2110936

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=family

Ouch that is expensive.

We bought Rayovac Hybrids and so far they work great. I think for about $16 we got an 8hr charger, 6 AA cells and 2 AAA cells.

They also had a $5 rebate so it was like $11.

The charge will charge pairs of AA or AAA cells. 1 or 2 pairs at a time.

They lasted about 14 hours in our unit (which according to the manufacturer is the run time for the GPS.)

Edited by knight2000

Best place to purchase batteries and chargers online is Thomas Distributing. Thomas who? That's what I first thought when I read about them in another website. Maha's Powerex rechargeable batteries are rated very well and available at this website. I have purchased two of their chargers and both work well (Maha C204W and Powerex MH-C800s).

Oddly enough, my NiMh batteries only last about 2 hrs max in my Garmin 76csx. It has a color screen so that really sucks up the juice. NiCads lose their charge quickly in storage, so I like alkalines the best, and I recycle them. They last 5-6 hrs of use or a little more. Plus I can buy 4 alkaline AAs for $1 at the Dollar Store.

I use Energizer 2500 mA NiMH batteries in my Vista C and they last well over 12 hours. I take six extra, topped-off, Energizer batteries with me so I have spares for the GPSr and my camera. (Can't have too many spare batteries. :) )

The brand of NiMH is very important. I tried off-brand batteries from Wal-Mart and another brand and they did not work. :P

The new "hybrid" batteries get good reports, but I haven't used the ones I bought yet, because the Energizers are still going strong, after two years of use and hundreds of charging cycles. :blink:

There used to be high capacy batteries

would you use rechargable alkaline batteries or 4 Pack Energizer AA Lithium Batteries ?

The only time I would use Lithium batteries is if I was out caching in very cold weather, or if I was going on a long back-packing trip where weight was important, as well as long battery life.

That means, I will never need to spend the money on Lithium batteries . . . :blink:

Unless you are planning an expedition just get yourself a good NIMH rechargeable.

At our local Wal-mart the Rayovac Hybrids were the most economical to purchase. It was $8 for an 8 hr charger and 2 AA cells and 2 AAA cells.

Im not sure what the lowrance uses.

If it takes 2 AA then i would buy 4 AA rechargables. (A set to use and a fresh set for a backup)

I usually carry regular alkalines as a backup to my backup.

Oddly enough, my NiMh batteries only last about 2 hrs max in my Garmin 76csx. It has a color screen so that really sucks up the juice. NiCads lose their charge quickly in storage, so I like alkalines the best, and I recycle them. They last 5-6 hrs of use or a little more. Plus I can buy 4 alkaline AAs for $1 at the Dollar Store.

There is something wrong there. The color units actually have far better battery life than the older B/W ones. My 60CSX gets about 16 hours out of NiMh rechargeables and more out of alkalines and the 60CSX is internally identical to the 76CSX.

Do you keep the backlight on frequently??

I have had mixed results with alkalines, eeven the ones that are supposed to be rechargable. I ended up getting some duracell NiMH batteries (8 bucks for 4 AA, youch). My old GPS say it will run 10 hour on avarage on a set of batteries. So far I am on hour 15 or 16 and still going strong. That 8 bucks seems to be worth it. And so far they seem to be holding a charge in storage as well (I got an extra set).

I have heard lots of good things about the Lithiums but the cost is way too steep for me.

John Z. Doe

Is Energizer® e2® AA Lithium Batteries are Lithium batteries?

it said for all electriconics beside digital camreas..

http://www.medicbatteries.com/energizer-li...WID=44670777521

Here a website where you a pack of nice lilitium batteries :D

This should last you all season of geocaching :rolleyes:

For that much money, I can buy 16, or 20, more 2500 mA NiMH rechargeable batteries which, at the rate the ones I bought two years ago are lasting, will keep me in NiMH rechargeable batteries for at least four or five more years. ;)

Well according to lowrance

they say to Duracell ultras and engerizers e2 lithiums or rechargable akalines and nicMh batteries

but not to use NicCads

and that what they said.

I dont think anyone has suggested using NiCads. I think everyone agrees that a good NIMH is worth the money. You can get the Energizer e2 if you wish.

4 pack energizer E2 - about what $7? --> Use once then throw away.

4 pack NIMH rechargables <$10 ---> Use what 800 times?

You may think that since i only got 14 hours out of a set of rechargables that that is not good. Regular alkalines only last 14 hours so i see little difference. The manufacturer said that it would last 14 hours on a set of cells. It did.

You will save money in the long run if you go with rechargeables.

The next best option (to save money) is go to Dollar General and get their 20 pack of AA cells for $5. They last just as long as a name brand does.

I use Energizer 2500 mA NiMH batteries in my Vista C and they last well over 12 hours. I take six extra, topped-off, Energizer batteries with me so I have spares for the GPSr and my camera. (Can't have too many spare batteries. :anibad: )

The brand of NiMH is very important. I tried off-brand batteries from Wal-Mart and another brand and they did not work. :laughing:

The new "hybrid" batteries get good reports, but I haven't used the ones I bought yet, because the Energizers are still going strong, after two years of use and hundreds of charging cycles. :blink:

I have been using the Sanyo eneloops and even though they are only 2000 mah they will outlast my 2500 mah Energizers in a gps. As far as retaining 85% of their charge after one year, I haven't had them long enough to find that out but I think I will put a full charge in a set of them and see what they have for shelf life. If they hold 85% of their charge for four or five months I would be happy.

The only time I would use Lithium batteries is if I was out caching in very cold weather, or if I was going on a long back-packing trip where weight was important, as well as long battery life.

That means, I will never need to spend the money on Lithium batteries . . . :laughing:

In addition, the Lowrance manual says that lithium batteries are light enough to make the GPS float, which could be another benefit. I *think* this is also true for the 60CSX.

However, my primary use is not on the water. So, therefore, that means I too will never need to spend the money on lithiums. I'm just sayin' . . .

DWBur's Quote:

""I have been using the Sanyo eneloops and even though they are only 2000 mah they will outlast my 2500 mah Energizers in a gps. As far as retaining 85% of their charge after one year, I haven't had them long enough to find that out but I think I will put a full charge in a set of them and see what they have for shelf life. If they hold 85% of their charge for four or five months I would be happy.""

Knight above is using the Rayovac Hybrids as am I. I like them so much, I am replacing all of my other NiMH with these, including some 2700 MAh ones. The "hybrids" also include the Sanyo Eneloops, Uniross Hybrios, Sony Cycle Energy, and some others. They have a much lower self discharge rate, and better voltage curve. They are best for cameras, and for other things that you can leave them in for weeks or months without use and they will still have a good charge.

One Review: Eneloop Batteries

Another review: Eneloops in Cameras

Edited by EScout

Check out www.all-battery.com

Their batteries are inexpensive enough. I've found that where you want to spend your money is on the CHARGER.

I've got a Fuji recharger that came with my digicam. Fairly useless.

Then got a Radio Shack unit that's much better.

I purchased the $24 Tenergy Speedy Box recharger from all-battery (because it accepts different sizes and types) and compared the three chargers.

For reference: I just tested a brand-new Duracell Coppertop (exp date MAR 2013) straight out of the package. It tested at 1.63 volts.

Unscientifically, of course, but the charging (with their built-in auto-shutoff determining length of time taken)

Fuji NIMH charging unit: 1.2 - 1.3 volts with 2100mAh NIMH. Auto-shut off. Don't know how long it took.

Radio Shack (6 hour, manual switch NIMH/NICAD is only description I can give) charging unit: 1.4volts (don't have the batteries in front of me, but were NIMH). Auto shut-off.

All-battery's Tenergy Speedy Box: 1.53volts with 2600 mAh NIMH. Takes a couple hours.

Tenergy takes longer, but has some comforting LEDs. Lets you discharge/recharge, senses plain old dead cells, charges AAA, AA, C, D and 9volt in combinations of four (6 with two 9volters) mix and match sizes and mix and match Ni-Cad and/or NIMH. Plus its kinda cool and important looking :ninja:

------------------------------------------------

My Fuji camera eats alkalines for breakfast.. so much so that I stopped using the camera for a while. Always dying when you needed it. I tried rechargables next. But with the Fuji charger, full charge (to 1.2 - 1.3 volts) didn't last very long, even with 2100 mAh NIMHs.

I saw this very irreverent Web Site where a guy diagrams out a circuit to recharge Alkalines. Instead of building his circuit, WTF, I say, I'll ACCIDENTALLY throw a couple of almost dead (<1 volt) alkalines in the Fuji charger and watch them like a hawk. Charged them for 45 minutes. (Fuji charger delivers 4.3 volts at its terminals. Do not try this at home or open field.) Took them out and put them on the meter. 1.5 volts. Yes, they were warm when I took them out, but they didn't blow up the house or spew acid anywhere. :)

Shot maybe 40 pictures, with flash, with the lens retracting into the camera body 3-4 times (does this when you shut it off and that takes some juice). End of the day, recharged alkaline batteries tested out on the multimeter at 1.39volts each.

My gut is to go tried and true (Rechargable NIMHs, check for at least a charge of 1.5volts with a multimeter, get Hi capacity 2600 mAh). Maybe have the local fire department recharge a couple alkalines with a cheapo recharger. Tell them not to leave them in too long. Use these in Gameboys, WII controllers, wireless mice and keyboards.

Just my 85 cents. Your milage may vary.

What Fuji camera do you have? I have the E900 and have not had a problem using the Energizer NiMH batteries in it. Seems like they last quite a while. With fresh batteries, I have never had to change them during a day out taking more than 100 pictures.

I use the Fuji charger and haven't had a problem with it either . . .

I have stopped using the Energizer 15-minute charger however . . . seems it might not be working correctly anymore . . . :ph34r: