Can I log this? (Grand Canyon find)

NanHenson

We were vacationing in the Grand Canyon and darn near stumbled across this marker. I took a picture because I knew vaguely about benchmarking. Now I can't figure out what the heck I have. I have no coordinates and didn't even bother to remember where exactly we were. Somewhere on the Rim Trail.

Thanks!

marker.jpg

Welcome to the Benchmark Hunting Forum.

I believe I can help you out. I went to the Bench Mark Home Page and clicked on 'Other Search Options'. That took me to the page that you can click in the little circle for 'By Designation'. Then I just typed 'Middle' in the box and AZ. That pulled up several to choose from, but only one was a reset...which I gleaned from your good picture (2 Dates on the disk).

If you scroll down to the log by NorthWes, you will find some other good pictures of that mark and a reference disk for that particular Triangulation Station.

You then can look at the Google map and click the satellite button to see where exactly you were when you found your disk.

Good Hunting!

Shirley~

Thanks so much! Shirley, I don't know the first thing about benchmarks, other than I am now eager to learn. I never would have known that 'middle' meant something! I guess I'll have to start researching as there are a couple close to our home.

Roland, that's the one!

Edited by NanHenson

NanHenson,

Welcome!

You may note that several people erroneously logged a Reference Mark (disk with an arrow), mistaking it for the actual benchmark (which you'll also often see referred to as the "station disk"). It's a common newbie mistake.

This is all explained in the Benchmarking FAQ, which is in the process of revision. There can be a bit more technical detail here on the benchmarking side than you may be used to on the caching side. (Actually, as some of us know, there can be a lot more detail, sometimes to the point of obsession, but that's between us and our significant others!) I think I can safely speak for most of the folks who prefer benchmarks, though, that as satisfying as it is to find a hidden plastic box full of toys, it can't compare with actual Mason-Dixon boundary markers, or disks stamped Supreme Court of the United States that were set as part of an interstate boundary dispute, or finding a bit a hardware plunked down a century ago and imagining what it took to get a survey crew to the top of this mountain on horseback, or just finding out by reading the datasheet that 50 years ago the car dealer down the street was a grocery store.

Hope you'll be sticking around!

-ArtMan-

NanHenson wrote:

Thanks so much! Shirley, I don't know the first thing about benchmarks, other than I am now eager to learn. I never would have known that 'middle' meant something! I guess I'll have to start researching as there are a couple close to our home.

Roland, that's the one!

Good job, Folks. We have a new benchmark hunter! NanHenson is hooked. Put mark on the wall. :laughing:

-Paul-

NanHenson -

Be sure to look 2 lines under the coordinates on a geocaching benchmark page. If it says "location is ADJUSTED", the coordinates are exact; more exact than your GPS receiver can measure. However if it says "location is SCALED", then the coordinates are only accurate enough to give you a general idea of where to park your car to go looking. You MUST use the datasheet's verbal instructions and measurements from local landmarks. In fact, using the datasheet's measurements to local landmarks gives you more accuracy (within an inch or so) than your GPS receiver can (12 feet or so at best), even if the location is adjusted.

Even though it's fun to use the GPS, accurate benchmark hunting is always based on the datasheet's instructions.

Although usually not that bad, location SCALED coordinates are occasionally off by hundreds of feet.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

(Dolphin won't mention that, on very rare occasions, benchmarks can be over a thousand feet off... That just makes it more challenging...)

Am I the only one who got a laugh at the first geocaching log for Middle Reset

N 36° 03.536 W 112° 05.028

After enjoying a hike on a near by trail, we took some time to eat lunch at Yaki Point. We're sitting on the short wall, when my wife Karen looks down and says; "Hey, there's one of those things you always look for"

Sure enough, a benchmark on the west side of the wall.

Took a reading with my eTrex, and took a couple of pictures.

I wish I had got to a computer sooner to be the first to log it, but I will settle that I am the first to give correct coordinates.

And then listed the coordinates for RM1?