What do I need for software?

ItalianBostonian

If you have a Garmin unit, geocaching.com now has a "Send to GPS" button, found on each cache page, free to non-premium members, that works only with Garmin units connected to the PC with a cable. You must also first install the web driver from Garmin (also free).

Works great! I tried it this weekend with Firefox 2.0 and I love that new button!

I used to use GSAK but found it clumsy to use because each time I sent from my PC to my GPS I would get duplicated waypoints. So I had to update the data on the PC, delete all waypoints from my GPS, then upload from my PC to my "clean" GPS. It was just a hassle.

Edited by chuckr30

<snip>

I used to use GSAK but found it clumsy to use because each time I sent from my PC to my GPS I would get duplicated waypoints. So I had to update the data on the PC, delete all waypoints from my GPS, then upload from my PC to my "clean" GPS. It was just a hassle.

It is important to update the data in your GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) database so you don't end up looking for a disabled or Archived cache. If you've ever looked for an Archived, or missing, cache, you'll understand how important that is. :P

I refresh the database with new Pocket Queries, then filter for Disabled caches and caches that have had several DNFs in a row, delete the waypoints from that filter, do a "Last .gpx Update" filter to see if any caches did not get updated with the most recent PQs (those will be the recently-Archived caches), so I can delete those from my database.

After deleting the "stale" Geocache waypoints from my GPSr, I send 450 or so "fresh" waypoints to my GPSr.

I don't use the "Send to GPS" button on GC.com because it only takes 30 seconds longer to download the .gpx file, open it in GSAK, and use the "Send to GPS now" option to have GSAK send the waypont wth the informative name I use, one that gives me part of the Name of the cache, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). :)

The OP is not a Premium Member yet, but if they had been, I would have recommended Pocket Queries and GSAK in my first post. :blink:

GSAK is great but as the writer of this post is not a Premium Member it's not all that useful, it can work but all its benefits are wasted by not having GPX data and only LOC data. EasyGPS is much better for standard cachers.

If there was some way for standard members to get GPX data then they might be sold on upgrading to a Premium membership by the time their free trial GSAK runs out. Oh, wait, standard members can't even get GSAK, at least not with a link from geocaching.com.

Edited by trainlove

Since you are not a Premium Member, the .loc files you are downloading do not have very much useful information, although you should still be able to convert the .loc files into .pdb files the Palm can read.

I use the GSAK to Cachemate Export, which converts the .gpx files (cache description, hint, Past Logs) into .pdb files for installation on the next HotSync. Maybe someone else can help with the specifics of using CMConvert with .loc files . . . :mad:

I'm not a premium member YET, just waiting to make sure the addiction/hobby sticks & isn't a passing fad. I gave GSAK a quick try but will be the first to admit that it's not the most user friendly software I've come across.

Having said that, I have found a good tutorial on it thanks to various posts here on the forum. Time to give it another try :mad:

Thanks Miragee,

SigsPig

I'm not a premium member YET, just waiting to make sure the addiction/hobby sticks & isn't a passing fad. I gave GSAK a quick try but will be the first to admit that it's not the most user friendly software I've come across.

Having said that, I have found a good tutorial on it thanks to various posts here on the forum. Time to give it another try :mad:

Thanks Miragee,

SigsPig

$3 a month has got to be less than the cost of gas for finding just 2 or 3.

Having said that, I have found a good tutorial on it thanks to various posts here on the forum. Time to give it another try ;)

Thanks Miragee,

SigsPig

I completely understand. I started out just paying the $3.00 per month for the first few months. Then, I downloaded GSAK and would get a headache everytime I looked at all the options. :mad:

However, I finally, one-step-at-a-time, figured out some of the filters. If this isn't the tutorial you have already found, it might help. ;)

Just adding my two cents.

I have been paperless geocaching since 2004.

I use BeelineGPS for my software and I love it. It’s not free but it’s fast and easy to use and has lots of bells and whistles.

I currently use a Verizon Pocket PC phone that runs WM5. It’s an XV6700.

I have TOM TOM on it for caches I am not sure how to navigate to and I use a generic Bluetooth GPS.

I have noticed that its accuracy is better than my garmen etrex and my venture.

It’s worked so well that my wife even upgraded her phone so she could use the same software set.

I recently picked up an extended battery for it and can go 2-3days between recharges or one really tough day of caching, but it lasts all day.

If you have any questions send me an IM and I will try to share them here.

I bought a yearly subscripton, but if you are not sure just pay for a couple of months. I use easygps to load my GPX file into my GPS. Like it says it is easy, doesnt do anything fancy, but it does the job. I drag and drop the fil onto my Pocket PC and read the cache pages using GPX view. GPX Sonar is another program that will do this. GPX view is an older program and is free. So is Easy GPS. You may see a pattern here. The only thing I pay for is the Premium membership and I get a lot of mileage out of the other programs.