Records

OK, I don't really like rules for these things but how about some guidelines?

1. A member of each caching team being present at each cache.

2. No simultaneous finding (i.e. splitting up).

3. All caches to be logged on line.

4. No previously found caches to be counted with the exception of Ye Old Survey Monuments.

5. No cacher to be present who has previously found the cache.

6. No finding caches placed by you or a member of your team.

7 Logbooks must be signed (no putting stickers on the outside of the box.

These being for the 24 hour records

Hello.

This is my first visit to a forum but i have been an avid geocacher for over a year now but i have never logged any finds on the computer as i am notvery good with the things. I have been viewing your records page and i am amazed and impressed by peoples dedication to the sport. In my opinion it would obly be fair for your guidelines to apply to many other records for example most by public transport, england counties, most on foot, most ina week, most ina month. It would mean that all he records are equally valid and all would be playing ona level playing field in my opinion.

Thankyou to you too Mongoose for your dedication in making a record of the records. Maybe now i should note my finds on the computer.

Pat

How about a record for the UK cacher that has found a cache at the highest altitude. I think that's as 'legitimate' as some that are already in the list. I know it won't last for long but I'll start the ball rolling with "Hartkaiser GCKJ8H" . Tyrolean Maid and I can claim a joint find on that on 9th September 2006. Altitude 5000 feet. Visit log HERE.

My cache GC1113G 'The highest Accessable Cache In Western Europe' at some 2500m [7500ft]

and grabbed by our very own jerryo is higher !!!! ;):D:D

Did drsolly not take the quickest 0-2000 record on xmas day? I'm too lazy to check properly, but wouldn't be surprised if he also has fastest 1,000 finds and probably has fastest 2,000 finds (he was slow off the mark for his first 200 so this helps him with these records). He has been incredibly fast lately, caching virtually every day for several months.

Did drsolly not take the quickest 0-2000 record on xmas day? I'm too lazy to check properly, but wouldn't be surprised if he also has fastest 1,000 finds and probably has fastest 2,000 finds (he was slow off the mark for his first 200 so this helps him with these records). He has been incredibly fast lately, caching virtually every day for several months.

I know that in December 26 to Jan 25, we did 308, because I was aiming to beat 300 in the month after Xmas.

We did our first on 9/9/2006, and number 1000 in 18 August 2007, so that's not a record. But we did start off slowly, and didn't reach 100 until December. That's when I got really into the application of technology to this game, in all sorts of ways - for example, I have my own conversion system from GPX to memoryMap, with cache pages that include lots of logs. And then there's the Technobike. And we really took off in March 2007, because in the winter of 2006/2007, lack of daylight was a big factor (less so now, mostly because the the technology we're using for caching after dark).

Cache number 2000 was on 25 December, so our 1000 to 2000 is not a record either for the fastest 1000., 129 days.

But!!

0 to 2000 between 9/9/2006 and 25/12/2007, that's 472 days, which beats the old 517 days. So FantasticCat' is right, and my thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't noticed.

And!

If you look at the most recent 1000 that I've done, that's between October 12 and February 5, which is 116 days (compared with 120 days for the current record), so I think I can claim a record for "Quickest 1000"? (I'm not including events in this count, I'm working from the "Found it" page in GC.com)

And the most recent 2000, takes me from April 26, 2007 to Feb 5, which is 285 days (current record is 434 days), so if I got my calculations right, that's a substantial advance on the old record.

So FantasticCat' is correct in all three of the records he pointed out, I think.

Today we hit 2400. But I notice there's some 20,000 caches left to do in the UK alone :-)

Any chance of getting this thread pinned? :)

edited to add:

My point being I am sure there are many cachers unaware of this site who would either like to add their own records to the list or be able to update existing, and possibly innacurate, records.

Why is the bookmark list held privately?

Edited by Mr.Dewdrop

Must admit that's puzzled me, too :lol:

Big congrats on the 5 continents btw... only 2nd team to do that?

Edited to say - 1st team to do that! I though Rogerncook had managed 'em all.

Edited by PopUpPirate

Re: private bookmarks, why not. If you really want to know you can go and look at the profile for the relevant dates.

Some do not have premier accounts and just email me a list of caches.

Others may not want to make it to easy for a challenger.

Whatever reason for a person to keep it private between them and me is fine, no problem.

I often get enquiries for help in planning attempts, you wont get to here about them either.

Must admit that's puzzled me, too :lol:

Big congrats on the 5 continents btw... only 2nd team to do that?

Edited to say - 1st team to do that! I though Rogerncook had managed 'em all.

Thanks - although I just realised something.....the African cache and the American caches were got by Ali alone. We were both present with the others. Does this still count as a record? Don't really want to take Rogers record away by anything dodgy or against the rules...........

Nick....

As far as I know it can be one member of the team or all members of a team. I know that during 24 hour runs some that have been a member of a team have done it so that one drives, one caches and then swap over.

It's only the same as if you went on holiday alone, and you cached, you could log it

I may be wrong, but I'm sure those record fiends will be along to tell us soon enough!

I just read through this thread and am amazed at how far "records" have progressed since I was in the area back in 2004! I remember finding 40+ in central London in 24 hours and that being a bunch! And then NeilFord and I hit 25 in Hertfordshire on a 14 hour spree and equalling Seasider's then-record.

Congrats to all!

[And as an aside, a previous post requests clarification on a wheelchair record -- the record is for the most wheelchair USERS at a cache and not the most wheelchair CACHERS at a cache.]

[Did I just step into something? :huh: ]

Pretty feeble and petty!

"Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated"

Ali, it is not a personal attack, it is an observation on the idea of someone claiming a record then perhaps wishing to keep their bookmark private, when in fact, should one care to do so, one can look up the date the caches are claimed. In the original statement it was a hypothesis, therefore making a comment about such a hypothesis is not an attack as there is no person involved ... unless of course you know differently?

Transparency and the same rules, or is that guidelines should be applied to all!

[And as an aside, a previous post requests clarification on a wheelchair record -- the record is for the most wheelchair USERS at a cache and not the most wheelchair CACHERS at a cache.]

[Did I just step into something? :huh: ]

Thanks for that clarification, so, are we to see records for the most number of dogs, cars, jeeps, caravans and so on at caches too?

Maybe I am missing the point, but shouldn't a caching record involve cachers?

dictionary definitions :

Petty

1. of little or no importance or consequence: petty grievances.

2. of lesser or secondary importance, merit, etc.; minor: petty considerations.

3. having or showing narrow ideas, interests, etc.: petty minds.

4. mean or ungenerous in small or trifling things: a petty person.

5. showing or caused by meanness of spirit: a petty revenge.

6. of secondary rank, esp. in relation to others of the same class or kind: petty states; a petty tyrant.

Feeble

1. physically weak, as from age or sickness; frail.

2. weak intellectually or morally: a feeble mind.

3. lacking in volume, loudness, brightness, distinctness, etc.: a feeble voice; feeble light.

4. lacking in force, strength, or effectiveness: feeble resistance; feeble arguments.

Sorry to be pedantic, but after all the recent trouble and strife in these forums it would be nice if there was no more misunderstandings. If I had been either Third Degree Witch/Morgan Mob who asked for their list to be kept secret or else Mongoose who respected their wishes, then I may have taken offence at your post, even if you did not mean it as such

Pretty feeble and petty!

Been spending the last few minutes deciding whether I'm feeble or petty. Figured out I must be the pretty one. I'll let Mongers and TDW argue over feeble and petty! :huh:

Sarah

(one third of a new comedy trio)

Edited by The Morgan Mob

this is just going off topic now and is getting to the stage of petty name calling

Quite right. Two insults in one day from the same person, who clearly thinks they are above the forum guidelines. The first insult was removed by a mod for good reason - you'd think some folk would learn.

In my humble tadpole opinion, someone has not received something they wanted and has thrown the proverbial fall on the floor tantrum. I may be new at this and it also may not be right of me to comment but I just feel that it’s stupid to turn this into a name slinging contest. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed geocaching and have enjoyed reading the forums just as much! My only worry is that certain people forget it’s a game - something we are all supposed to have fun with! No chips on shoulder necessary 

Well done to all with records, my only hope is I get to break them one day ;)

In my humble tadpole opinion, someone has not received something they wanted and has thrown the proverbial fall on the floor tantrum. I may be new at this and it also may not be right of me to comment but I just feel that it’s stupid to turn this into a name slinging contest. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed geocaching and have enjoyed reading the forums just as much! My only worry is that certain people forget it’s a game - something we are all supposed to have fun with! No chips on shoulder necessary 

Well done to all with records, my only hope is I get to break them one day ;)

I hope everybody's views are equally valued on this Forum, as long as they are put forward in a polite and clear fashion.

Welcome, KirstyR.GB :)

MrsB