Records

The discussion however is moot as there is not going to be a record. Clear enough yet?

It is abundantly clear, in spite of your sarcasm; however, I do not have to agree with your somewhat off the cuff rearks about the value of such a record for someone using a wheelchair ... see above for the reasons why this s more difficult.

You make it sound like I am just making things up as I go along, this is a known feature of statgen3 from GSAK, easy to vaildate ... don't you know about GSAK macros?

Your comments about a Monks Habit are ridiculous and totally miss the point I was making about diversity ... you can choose whether or not to wear one ... wheelchair users cannot by and large choose to go without theirs.

Maybe I should just set up my own records page and accept offerings just from my friends also ... I am at a loss to know why you think that by having a wheelchair record somehow detracts from the other records, perhaps you can tease that out for me?

1)I think you will find if you care to check, that there is a wheelchair record listed.

2) I have met Davey Boy for example once, I hardly think this counts as a friend

3) As Ian has pointed out my point is there are many more handicaps than just being a wheelchair user.

I am still not listing a record for the furthest distance between two caches in 24 hours when one of the caches is outside the UK.

I am still not listing a record for the furthest distance between two caches in 24 hours when one of the caches is outside the UK.

A record which I (a friend of mongoose's) would hold with 5454 miles as previously stated. So I'm not gaining from the old pals act.

Dorsetgal seemed to "invent" the greatest distance record to suit her plans of a US trip and then added "in a wheelchair" when it became apparent that someone else (me) had previously clocked a far superior mileage.

It's not exactly a record that takes much planning or thought. A drive-by on the way to the airport, a transatlantic flight followed by a big city downtown virtual. Hardly a case of setting the bar high for others to aspire to. It could have easily been done in a wheelchair or wearing a monk's habit. :unsure:

Just to be fair though, the five continent "record" doesn't belong in the UK records and should be deleted from the list.

I don't see why a "Quickist to visit a cache in 5 continents" by a British Cacher shouldn't stand as a UK record.

I'm not a expert, but UK records in athletics are gained by the athlete no matter where they are in the World?

And if we stick to the athletic comparison then Dorstegals "In a Wheelchair" would compare quite favourably to say the Paraolympics.

I think someone needs to define a small set of "Officalish" records that one can aim for, otherwise the whole thing will just get stupid and we'll have thousands of petty records, few of which mean anything.

I know it's harder for people without cars, or single mums with young children, but there again so is winning the 100 meters at the Olympics and there are no special classes for people without cars..

Anyway can I claim "The most caches placed in a day in a diesel powered car (1.6 Litre or larger category) in the rain in Cornwall - with additional navigator" at 5 caches placed?

A record which I (a friend of mongoose's) would hold with 5454 miles as previously stated. So I'm not gaining from the old pals act.

Dorsetgal seemed to "invent" the greatest distance record to suit her plans of a US trip and then added "in a wheelchair" when it became apparent that someone else (me) had previously clocked a far superior mileage.

However, if you read back, Mongoose proffered a record held by Ravenclaw, not yourself, I received three email tip offs as to a possible identity of that cacher ... hence my request for further clarification ...

Taking Birdmans analogy to the Paralympics, just because I tried for the "normal" (very loose term) record, does that automatically debar me from the w/c one? I suspect not.

Finally, has he answered my original post, I would not have sought further clarification ...

Of course your apparent record is far superior, you have it if it makes you feel better ... after all nobody can check can check it on your profile.

I stand by claiming the w/c user record.

However, if you read back, Mongoose proffered a record held by Ravenclaw, not yourself, I received three email tip offs as to a possible identity of that cacher ... hence my request for further clarification ...

Taking Birdmans analogy to the Paralympics, just because I tried for the "normal" (very loose term) record, does that automatically debar me from the w/c one? I suspect not.

Finally, has he answered my original post, I would not have sought further clarification ...

Of course your apparent record is far superior, you have it if it makes you feel better ... after all nobody can check can check it on your profile.

I stand by claiming the w/c user record.

The record does not exist to claim.

You are of course welcome to list it on your own page or wherever.

I am not wasting my time keeping adding more and more records.

I am also not going to waste my time on responding to your posts.

The record does not exist to claim.

You are of course welcome to list it on your own page or wherever.

I am not wasting my time keeping adding more and more records.

I am also not going to waste my time on responding to your posts.

Then it won't be a complete list of UK records ... it will be Mongooses chosen records, I rest my case on that one ...

Really peer approval is the only thing that makes such a page worthwhile ...

It's not exactly a record that takes much planning or thought. A drive-by on the way to the airport, a transatlantic flight followed by a big city downtown virtual. Hardly a case of setting the bar high for others to aspire to. It could have easily been done in a wheelchair or wearing a monk's habit. :cool:

I'm with Alex on this. At the end of the day all this 'record' would require is going on a long haul flight, tagging one cache on either end of it. From a caching perspective, it doesn't require any great planning, stamina or commitment. You just have to be lucky enough to be going on a long haul flight. Maybe if you were flying the plane yourself ... :cool:

I'm not a expert, but UK records in athletics are gained by the athlete no matter where they are in the World?

Ah but the running tracks are the same length, and the shot putt is the same size/weight etc. If UK records for caching could be claimed in other countries, they would have been dominated for the last 3 years or so by caches found abroad. This would hardly make them open to most UK cachers. I can also think of at least 2 occasions where UK records have been held by cachers not based in the UK. However as the caches they found were in the UK their records were/are fair and above board in my opinion.

T

Ah but the running tracks are the same length, and the shot putt is the same size/weight etc. If UK records for caching could be claimed in other countries, they would have been dominated for the last 3 years or so by caches found abroad. This would hardly make them open to most UK cachers. I can also think of at least 2 occasions where UK records have been held by cachers not based in the UK. However as the caches they found were in the UK their records were/are fair and above board in my opinion.

T

But even within the UK there's tremendous variation. A Cacher finding say 25 caches on Dartmoor has done a hell of a lot more work that someone doing 25 along a "Power Trail". To be honest I don't really care - If I enjoy my three caches along the Cornish cliffs then I'm happy. If someone is equally as happy gaining 145 caches in a day else where - then good for them!

The Olympics aren't open to most athletes, only to the good dedicated few - so whats the difference?

I think the problem here is that we all play the game our own way and that probably dosen't go hand in hand with record making.

Records need to be things that are measurable and I guess are available for everyone to attempt, for most National/International records will never be achievable due to time/expense/personal circumstances.

Personal records are fun, and I get a thrill at beating my Personal Best for "Most Caches in a day" yet realistically that's the only caching record I'll ever hold and I'm happy with that. Caching for me is about the places I'm taken, the walks, the scenery and yep the people I've met. It's not about picking out the easy cache and dashs and going purely for numbers - yet I accept that others enjoy that side of the hobby.

Anyway enough waffle - let the debate continue!

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

I always get a bit concerned when I hear about cachers attempting/achieving any sort of record in my neck of the woods. I have fears (well, not “fear” really; that would be sad) that the containers won’t be put back properly in a gung-ho “well we’ve found it so bollox to waiting around to hide it properly let’s get the next one” manner. It really is not about the numbers sometimes.

I always get a bit concerned when I hear about cachers attempting/achieving any sort of record in my neck of the woods. I have fears (well, not “fear” really; that would be sad) that the containers won’t be put back properly in a gung-ho “well we’ve found it so bollox to waiting around to hide it properly let’s get the next one” manner. It really is not about the numbers sometimes.

Is there anything to suggest this happens, or that it is any more likely to happen than someone just doing a handful in a day?

Is there anything to suggest this happens, or that it is any more likely to happen than someone just doing a handful in a day?

There is actually. After such visits (and there are sufficient numbers of these mega trips for individuals not to worry about having fingers pointed at them), some of the more prolific cachers have been known not to take as much care as, say, I would, when replacing/acquiring a cache. If one’s* in a busy area it is a pain to wait until the muggles have gone but one* should, for example.

As pronouns go, “one” isn’t a good one I feel, but here it serves ideally to generalise comments. :cool:

[There is actually. After such visits (and there are sufficient numbers of these mega trips for individuals not to worry about having fingers pointed at them

Actually, to my knowledge only one of these successful runs has taken place in your area (as you quoted originally). So as the finger IS being pointed at me and the people I was with. I would, therefore like you to quote the specific example you speak of, since without it, we cannot possibly defend the attack you have made.

T

So as the finger IS being pointed at me and the people I was with. I would, therefore like you to quote the specific example you speak of, since without it, we cannot possibly defend the attack you have made.

T

Sorry, but I ain't going to feed the paranoia beasty. If you aren't guilty of any misdemeanour then you’re ok. If you feel you’re being attacked, as you put it, then that’s up to your and your (mis)interpretation of what I wrote. How you can misconstrue what I wrote as a personal attack is beyond my ken and I’m not getting into a row about semantics with someone who has just demonstrated that they may not be very good at it.

I would, therefore like you to quote the specific example you speak of, since without it, we cannot possibly defend the attack you have made

If you re(read) my previous post properly you’ll see I didn’t say there was a specific example so your knowledge is flawed and you’ve misquoted me. I did not say successful runs, I said “prolific cachers” on “mega trips*” and you are not the only ones who can be put into the prolific cacher category – sorry but there are more even though you do seem quite keen.

*I made that word combination up

I didn’t even know previously that you’d had a cache bash here recently – and I wasn’t necessarily talking about recently – although I was aware you’d done a few of mine. I just checked and saw how many others you did that day as I became briefly interested. Well done, by the way. The ones you did find have been subsequently found apart from one… aha! You think it was that WTF! do you? Well I expected some kids to find that and chuck stones at it until it fell off although I was surprised, given the strength of the magnet and the size of the cache, that they managed it. It’s actually been replaced with a cache that is better than the original so I’m not bothered. Out of interest, can you remember the equation that was written in the container? I’ve changed it so you can say it here.

And put the popcorn away, Alex: show's over, there's nothing to see :)

Edited to change "floored" to "flawed". Sheesh: these spelling/grammar checkers. :unsure:

Edited by jerryo

Any chance of a link to the cache in question?

By the way.

This is off topic again

Please can we stick to people claiming one of the listed records or I am bound to miss the claim!

Sorry Tony. It's certainly not within the topic of this thread to discuss whether record hunters don't take care in replacing containers back in the original hiding places correctly to save time. BUT that IS an important discussion and I will open a new thread where people can continue that discussion.

Any chance of a link to the cache in question?

By the way.

This is off topic again

Please can we stick to people claiming one of the listed records or I am bound to miss the claim!

Sorry Tony. It's certainly not within the topic of this thread to discuss whether record hunters don't take care in replacing containers back in the original hiding places correctly to save time. BUT that IS an important discussion and I will open a new thread where people can continue that discussion.

Thanks Alex

You think it was that WTF! do you? Well I expected some kids to find that and chuck stones at it until it fell off although I was surprised, given the strength of the magnet and the size of the cache, that they managed it. It’s actually been replaced with a cache that is better than the original so I’m not bothered. Out of interest, can you remember the equation that was written in the container? I’ve changed it so you can say it here.

Firstly Jerryo, although we have found over half of your caches, none of them have been on a record run and every single one has been replaced as found.

I never even knew your WTF was gone since I don't have it on my watchlist. For the record I didn't know any information had to be emailed to you. As far as we were concerned it was a traditional cache and therefore there should be no other logging requirement other than replacing as found which was what happened. Since traditional caches are at the co-ords there is no requirement to even read the cache page fully.

Oh, and funnily enough I do have photographic proof of the cache being retrieved and replaced.

Edit - several cachers have already seen this photographic proof, since I did actually think the cache was worth telling people about.

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

Records updated to include M1YEO's first to 4000 and the T-girls completion of finding a cache in each of the 72 UK counties as listed on GCUK

UK Records

Gee no date count on M1EYO's 4000, boy the record page is slipping fast :D:ph34r::lol::ph34r::lol:

Less of the cheek son :ph34r:

Updated it now

apologies if these are listed - i can't get to the records page cos work's firewall is ridiculous...

anyway, not seen mention of them on here, how about most number of caches set. No additional qualifiers, although you could also have most number of ACTIVE caches as well, in case there is a difference! Dunno who the holder is - my guess is either Siloans or the Pimply One.... :blink:

Dave

Records updated to include M1YEO's first to 4000 and the T-girls completion of finding a cache in each of the 72 UK counties as listed on GCUK

UK Records

Gee no date count on M1EYO's 4000, boy the record page is slipping fast :D:ph34r::lol::ph34r::lol:

Less of the cheek son :ph34r:

Updated it now

apologies if these are listed - i can't get to the records page cos work's firewall is ridiculous...

anyway, not seen mention of them on here, how about most number of caches set. No additional qualifiers, although you could also have most number of ACTIVE caches as well, in case there is a difference! Dunno who the holder is - my guess is either Siloans or the Pimply One.... :blink:

Dave

that one is already on Dave

Ta

Tony