top 10 ways stop muggles

These may come in useful hiding and finding a cache

1:hider, hide in some unusal place so muggles get imbarest when they try to look and are seen

2:finder, act casal like youve droppeed a coin

3:if in long grass crouch so you are not seen as well

(if seen quite embaressing)

4:love hiding multi cahes. I spread the cluses apart 'cause its less supiscious

5:when i'm hiding in built up areas i use micros 'cause there just usall to find in thoose areas

6:I don't like taking the cache out when muggles are about i also close to the hiding spot and act casal

7:never tell a muggle what your doing if they if they dont tell them if you want

8:make them caches hard for people with out a map/gps meening muggles won't find them easilly

9:have some conspicuous

10:when muggles look for a cache look at them like there crazy

I use them reguly when hunting for a cache, will you?

jackmerlin1

Edited by Jackmerlin1

1:hider hide in some unusal place so they (muggles) get imbarest when they try to look and are seen

2:finder act casal like youve droppeed a coin

3:if in long grass crouch so you r not as unseen

4:love hiding multi cahes spread your caches apart it less susspicus

5:when im hiding in built up areas i use micros 'cause there just usal to find in thoose areas

6:dont take the cache out when muggles are about and keep cloos to the hiding spot and act casal

7:nevertell a muggle what your doingjust make up an excuse

8:make them hard for people with out a map/gps meening muggles

9:have some conspicssy

happy using them

jackmerlin1

Some of these, I disagree with (at least I think I do, from what I think it says), but number 7 especially. If you never tell anyone about the sport, how do you expect it to grow? How did you hear about the sport before you created your account last week?

Edited by dkwolf

When I was looking to placing a cache...I had this gut follow and watch me all the time. After several days researching the park and having this guy follow me...I finally asked him "Whats Up?".

We talked a bit and explained to him what I was doing...he was interested and I made him a part of the cache listing. The cache is still there and sometimes if he is there when I stop by...he says that he sees people finding it.

See at the bottom...#1 in the "Muggle Report".

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b9-13c8d00c93f0

May I suggest that before submitting your posts you type them in a word-processing application which will allow you to check spelling, grammar and punctuation? This will make it much easier for other forum readers to understand the wealth of innovative ideas you wish to share.

May I suggest that before submitting your posts you type them in a word-processing application which will allow you to check spelling, grammar and punctuation? This will make it much easier for other forum readers to understand the wealth of innovative ideas you wish to share.

You put that more eloquently than i may have. Thank you.

I can hardly understand several of their posts.

gotta agree! it's very difficult to decipher what you are trying to say.

The Google bar it has a spell checker. I agree that some of these folks need to download it and use it. :tired:

The Google bar it has a spell checker. I agree that some of these folks need to download it and use it. :D

That is the only reason I loaded the Google Toolbar. :tired:Clicks on the little ABC check ... yup it still works. :huh:

I have a method that works very well for me. When I arrive to cache location and find a lot of people just hanging about I will announce what I am doing. I will loudly say to the people in the area, "I am a geocache hunter. I am looking for geocaches. Has anyone seen a geocache around here?" This has always had two very desirable effects. Either they quickly find somewhere else to be or they ignore my presence as if I am not even there.

Well, you can say that all you want, but I am just plain happy and tickled pink that at least SOMEONE (that is, the OP) has purchased and is using my family of innovative new forum/list group post editing tools, called Anti-Spell Check, Anti-Grammar Check, Anti-Semantics Check, Anti-Sanity Check and Anti-Semioitics Check.

I have a method that works very well for me. When I arrive to cache location and find a lot of people just hanging about I will announce what I am doing. I will loudly say to the people in the area, "I am a geocache hunter. I am looking for geocaches. Has anyone seen a geocache around here?" This has always had two very desirable effects. Either they quickly find somewhere else to be or they ignore my presence as if I am not even there.

that is FABULOUS.

usually we just charge into an area and look all official or tedious. if you really need deep cover, you can whip out your notebook and begin to make sketches of the area, discussing loudly your technical problems regarding scale, or the way the light falls, or some such thing.

a camera will have a similar effect.

the key to a strategy like this is that you have to appear to WANT everyone to pay attention to what you're doing, which will drive them away in droves.

Had a flagpole micro to grab the other day. Similar to a lamppost micro--lift the skirt and all. The challenge to this one is that it was right next to a busy (petrol) filling station. The flagpole was next to a small war memorial, which was the reason for the cache. All I had was my Palm Z22, my GPSr, and a pen. So, how do you grab the cache without attracting attention?

I decided "By attracting a lot of attention!" I started pacing off distances from the monument to nearby benches, writing them down on non-existent paper. I began photographing the monument from every possible angle with my Palm (which does not have a camera), and I began taking sight lines with my GPSr.

After about five minutes of this nonsense, everyone at the filling station assumed either that I was nuts, or that I must be doing something official. In either case, they began ignoring me, and I was able to walk over to the flagpole, lift the skirt, and log my find without anyone taking the least bit of notice.

It's the first time I've done that. It was actually kind of fun!

Amen.

Amen.

The poster in question is not from the US. English is not everyone's first language. How is your Gaelic? Or perhaps you're suggesting that only Americans should be allowed to post?

Perhaps your suggestion might better have been sent through pm?

Amen.

The poster in question is not from the US. English is not everyone's first language. How is your Gaelic? Or perhaps you're suggesting that only Americans should be allowed to post?

The web site is in English.

Amen.

the last poster everyone decided to jump all over for syntax and grammar was deafhunt.

there was a lot of apologizing for that afterward.

Since I doubt that those were Gaelic spellings, the suggestion to use Spell Check still is good. OP is from the United Kingdom. My granther was from near his location and could spell in English. Some peple just cannot spell, for goodness sakes! That's what dictionaries are for (Or Spell Check.)

I saw someone use the "car trouble" ruse while searching for a rather devious micro in a local parking lot. The males were "working" on the engine (they even checked the oil) while the females were searching in every nook and cranny for the cache. They didn't find it, though, and I didn't make it over there in time to say "Hi!".

The spelling doesn't bother me, what I would like to know is how Jackmerlin1 gained such wisdom with a whopping 2 finds as of today? I have about 350 and I'm still learning what to do with the muggle situation.

I can see the tomatoes being thrown at me as I type for that comment!

Edited by atmguy775

The spelling doesn't bother me, what I would like to know is how Jackmerlin1 gained such wisdom with a whopping 2 finds as of today? I have about 350 and I'm still learning what to do with the muggle situation.

my uncle told me he's done about 3500

Google this

If Jackmerlin1 resides in "North Berwick", Scotland, United Kingdom then:

The seaside town "North Berwick" where Jackmerlin1 resides is 25 miles east of Edinburgh, Scotland; where they have an English University.

Should he reside in "North Berwick", Maine, United States of America then:

The University of New Hampshire is 20 miles away. English medium.

The University of New England is 23 miles away.

No disrespect to anyone, but still interesting what information the Internet can provide with a simple search.

Thanks for the tip, I am now also using Google spell checker.

Since I doubt that those were Gaelic spellings, the suggestion to use Spell Check still is good. OP is from the United Kingdom. My granther was from near his location and could spell in English. Some peple just cannot spell, for goodness sakes! That's what dictionaries are for (Or Spell Check.)

Interesting bit of irony, there.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in discussing the thread's actual topic.

Regarding lying to muggles, it depends. I tend to give an extremely vague, but honest answer when asked what I'm doing. More important, in my opinion, is that I make sure that muggles don't spot me making the find or replacing the cache.

Edited by sbell111

How much wisdom does it take to think of ways to protect a cache from muggling?

1:hider, hide in some unusal place so muggles get imbarest when they try to look and are seen

5:when i'm hiding in built up areas i use micros 'cause there just usall to find in thoose areas

6:I don't like taking the cache out when muggles are about i also close to the hiding spot and act casal

7:never tell a muggle what your doing if they if they dont tell them if you want

8:make them caches hard for people with out a map/gps meening muggles won't find them easilly

jackmerlin1

I would add:

11: Replace a cache properly.

I've always liked the "Arboreal Numerologist" line.

Muggle: Excuse me... what are you doing?

Me: I'm an Arboreal Numerologist... I'm counting the trees. 1... 2... 3... 4... 5....

I've never had a chance to use it as I've never been approached while I was on the hunt... but, I always thought it would be fun B)

Me: I'm an Arboreal Numerologist... I'm counting the trees. 1... 2... 3... 4... 5....

I've never had a chance to use it as I've never been approached while I was on the hunt... but, I always thought it would be fun :D

One I read here in the forums some time back, I thought was pretty good:

Muggle: What are you doing?

Cacher: Checking satellite signal strength.

jackmerlin1

#4 makes sense, if two or more of the waypoints are within 100ft then it might as well be one.

#5 don't really have a choice with this one, if the area is built up (I'm assuming houses, etc. here) then size is a factor.

#6 I'm suprised on how many cachers that have been around still whip out the cache after finding it without checking to see if anybody is around. Also if they are waiting for the area to clear, they look like the cat that swallowed the prize winning canary.

I've never had a chance to use it as I've never been approached while I was on the hunt... but, I always thought it would be fun :D

One I read here in the forums some time back, I thought was pretty good:

Cacher: Checking satellite signal strength.

Or...or....how about:

[Muggle approaches. Cacher squats real quick]

Cacher: Peeing.

:D

I would add:

11: Replace a cache properly.

I wish that was blown up and bolded somewhere so that everyone could read it.

That is my #1 complaint. I take time to pick out a good container, scout a great location, camo the container so it blends in perfectly with the environment only to come back later and find the container just laying out in the open or worse, muggled.

You can do everything right when you hide a cache but if the people finding your cache don't put it back the way they should, often it spells the end for the cache.

I am very new to geocaching and am still trying to figure everything out, but I do have one thing that helps me feel not so conspicuous. I hold my cell phone up to my ear and pretend I'm concentrating on a conversation while I'm actually strolling around looking at things. If I need to look in bushes or something I hold it like I'm taking a picture.

I am very new to geocaching and am still trying to figure everything out, but I do have one thing that helps me feel not so conspicuous. I hold my cell phone up to my ear and pretend I'm concentrating on a conversation while I'm actually strolling around looking at things. If I need to look in bushes or something I hold it like I'm taking a picture.

Just make sure you remember to silence the phone before holding it up to your ear... as soon as it rings your cover will be blown. :unsure:

Just make sure you remember to silence the phone before holding it up to your ear... as soon as it rings your cover will be blown. ;)

Or just hold the gps up to your ear. They won't know the difference.

Do you mean, "I've got to agree! It's very difficult to decipher what you are trying to say."

:laughing::anibad:

If muggles are at the cache spot when you arrive, ask if they've seen the large snake that resides there, as he usually comes out to sun himself about this time.

If they arrive after you, tell them you're marking a landing spot for the mothership, and it should be there any time.

As for the hiders, I've found that if you hide it so good that the cachers can't find it, the muggles wont be able to either. :ninja:

Decrypt man......DECRYPT! Ya gotta click on decrypt!!! :ninja::D:)

If you're as lucky as we are, wondering around with your family acting like tourists works great.

Acting official works great too. Most people don't want to know what you're up to. They're absorbed in whatever they themselves are doing and want to steer clear. Just don't look suspicious! :ninja:

Be sure to carry brochures just in case someone does approach you.

I always carry around some official looking, bogus subpoenas when I'm in an urban area, especially a residential area or a parking lot. I simply explain I'm a process server (there is no crime of "impersonating a process server") and that I'm looking for ... and I read the name off the top one. Then I ask the muggle for his or her name and start to look through the rest of the stack.

On a fishing pier, I had to ask the locals if the guy from Fish & Game had come by yet. They all disappeared before I could even explain why I was interested.

The day I noticed a local police officer watchig me, I purposefully walked up to him, introduced myself and asked if he had taken an accident report at that location the week before. He told me he didn't and even radioed in to see if anyone else had. After apologizing, he helped me take some measurements (always carry a tape measure). Before he left, he told me there was something hidden nearby and that people with GPS units come looking for it. I asked him to tell them not to mess with any physical evidence and then had him point out what it was that they were looking for! (Note: I never said there had been an accident or that I was investigating an accident.)

I've also had to ask tourists if they saw anyone fall off a bridge. After that, they completely ignored me as I examined the nooks and crannies of the bridge. (Note: I never said anyone had fallen off the bridge.)

MOST of the website is in English, not all. Also, traffic and road signs in the States are also in English, so why are they letting illegals and immigrants who haven't yet mastered the language drive?

I think muggles are at least somewhat overrated. I was careful when I started but now I just go get the cache. Nobody has ever bothered to ask me what I was doing, except once, and he was someone who had heard of geocaching and figured that's what I was up to and asked me a bit about it. I think most people just don't care what people are up to. Of course, that could just be me.

I think muggles are at least somewhat overrated. I was careful when I started but now I just go get the cache. Nobody has ever bothered to ask me what I was doing, except once, and he was someone who had heard of geocaching and figured that's what I was up to and asked me a bit about it. I think most people just don't care what people are up to. Of course, that could just be me.

My best advice is Location, location, location. The spot I choose to hide a cache and the spots I chose to seek a cache should generally always avoid muggles.

If not.....

Then I generally agree with the above quote, carry a clipboard and boldy behave as if you know what you are doing and where you are going and the vast majority of people simply ignore you.