9/11 EU & NYGO coin drawing

ATMouse

If you have ever have had coins minted, you know how you will inspect each one, reading the tracking codes? When the 6 number/letter combination results in an odd word or significant number combination, it catches the eye, sometimes enough to cause you to set aside the coin for a special purpose.

This happened for the folks who had the European Union coin made. As they were reading their coins, one tracking number caught the attention. It ended in 911. 9/11. The decision was made to send this coin to NYS cachers, with the intention that it would be used to assist those victimized by the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center towers. And so it was done.

The NYS caching organization it was sent to was NYGO. It was gratefully received and the discussion of how best to use this coin began. And as is the case in many real-life occurrences, other pressing issues came and moved the decision-making to the backburner until it seemed the coin with the special set of numbers was forgotten. It has not.

The NYGO Board of Directors debated and discussed the best way to raise money with this coin and with a partner coin: a 2005 gold NYGO coin, a unique coin, the only NYGO coin made in gold, not antique silver. Ebay? Some said it would allow only some people the chance to own this set. Auction it at a NYGO annual meeting? Still too limited a crowd. 9/11/01 touched everyone; everyone should have a chance at this pair.

So. For a dollar a chance, you may have the opportunity to win this outstanding pair: An EU with the tracking number 911 and the only gold 2005 NYGO geocoin ever minted.

To enter this contest, you must mail your check (or shove a dollar bill in an envelope) to:

NYGO Drawing

1242 Graff Rd

Attica, NY 14011

Please make out your check to NYGO. In the envelope, include your name, geo-nickname, mailing address and, most importantly, your email address. Each chance will be assigned a number and that number will be emailed to you. The drawing will actually occur on September 11, 2007, the sixth anniversary of the terrorist attacks in NYC.

Note to viewers: The Antique Silver coin was added for color value comparison.

Only the TWO GOLD COINS are in the raffle.

NYGO_coins_016.jpg

NYGO_coins_018.jpg

Edited by ATMouse

Check will be in the mail. Have you pick the organization that will receive the money? Does $2 = 2 chances as I'm sure that many will send in more.

If you send $2.00, that is two chances...$5.00 will give you five chances and so on.

We'll post here when we get the target organization worked out with downstate folk.

What is the money raised going towards?

The intention is to donate the money to a group or organization that will directly benefit the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Once again, we are working with groups of cachers downstate to determine the target organization.

Just as an illustrative story: It happens I was involved with a County-wide fund raiser shortly after 9/11 for the victims of the attack. The original thought was to provide funds to plant memorial trees. When we contacted NYC Parks department, they suggested that there was a small park that desperately needed renovations that had no funding from the Parks Department, but one that they were aware of. This tiny "pocket" park was in an area that many of the victims' families lived. Our group discussed this option and in the end, we had three bus loads of Allegany County residents who traveled down to NYC, paying their own way, to re-dedicate this park, full of new plantings and playground equipment - and a small plaque that stated the gift of this renovated park was from the hearts of the folk from Allegany County.

I am enormously proud of that fund raiser. I am hoping that with the help of the cachers in the Greater NYC area, a similar, worthy project can be found.

Edited by ATMouse

My small amount sent.

I know you will find a worthy place for it.

Kinda like we did with Rita and Katrina,we started a group called G.E.M.A.

Geocachers Emergency Management Agency.

We sent a lot of care packages and many other things that way.

Part of my CERT and Search and Rescue Team actually went and helped out for months.

Good luck and Godspeed..

The donations started arriving today and e-tickets will be going out.

As ATMouse pointed out the tickets are $1 a chance, buy as many chances as you like.

Any NYC area cacher who knows of a good place to use these funds is encouraged to drop an e-mail to nygo@2ki.net

I would like to join in, but im form the uk and dont have any dollars. Do you think a paypal account could be made for others like me?

Ditto ????

The problem with PayPal is that they charge for their services (if I was in charge of PayPal, I would, too!)

I'll check with TPTB about it for our cousins across the pond.

:rolleyes:

What is the money raised going towards?

The intention is to donate the money to a group or organization that will directly benefit the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Once again, we are working with groups of cachers downstate to determine the target organization.

Just as an illustrative story: It happens I was involved with a County-wide fund raiser shortly after 9/11 for the victims of the attack. The original thought was to provide funds to plant memorial trees. When we contacted NYC Parks department, they suggested that there was a small park that desperately needed renovations that had no funding from the Parks Department, but one that they were aware of. This tiny "pocket" park was in an area that many of the victims' families lived. Our group discussed this option and in the end, we had three bus loads of Allegany County residents who traveled down to NYC, paying their own way, to re-dedicate this park, full of new plantings and playground equipment - and a small plaque that stated the gift of this renovated park was from the hearts of the folk from Allegany County.

I am enormously proud of that fund raiser. I am hoping that with the help of the cachers in the Greater NYC area, a similar, worthy project can be found.

Thanks for the info.

I am the one who is actually receiving the mail for this fundraiser and doing the accounting for the fundraiser, I have no problem with accepting foreign funds and having my own bank convert them into US funds for those of you from "across the pond".

Just do me the favor of keeping the amounts as close as possible with the current exchange rates for your respective countries.

Edited by Brogan