Peanut Butter jars

Lol! i'm sorry. i just specifically searched for info on using peanut butter jar because i'm new and was impressed with the ones i found!

i'll let it die again peacefully. :) TFTPB

I'm allergic to forum threads revived after a year in the grave.

Edward

some are allergic to old threads bumped after 2 years of dormancy....

others are allergic to rehashing old topics in new threads...

:laughing:

we might just be damned either way!

Lol! i'm sorry. i just specifically searched for info on using peanut butter jar because i'm new and was impressed with the ones i found!

i'll let it die again peacefully. :) TFTPB

there'll be no death on our watch!

:laughing:

just find it funny to see people complain about old posts turning up... then others complain when someone posts "yet another thread about xzy"

That's a possibility. Though it would be giving away a description. i like to be surprised by the container. But maybe that's because i'm new and haven't seen many. i may mark it may contain traces of peanuts. On the other hand it will say "JIFF" on the lid too. Hopefully a peanut allergic would know to not open it and just log it found.

An allergy attribute solves all....

Just a quicky for those who skipped.

-----------

Don't use peanut butter jars, you might hurt someone with a peanut allergy even tho it is a risk that they should be assuming themselves we have to do all we can to defeat Darwin.

-----------

Don't use peanut butter jars you might hurt someone with a peanut allergy use mayo jars, they are bigger and we can kill the people that are allergic to eggs.

-----------

Don't use a serviceable used container, buy a new unused one and help fill landfills quicker.

-----------

Don't try to take responsibility for my problem, I'm not stupid!

Yes you are, so we have to protect you.

-----------

Don't tell me what to do.

Then don't tell me what to do!

What did I just tell you what not to tell me?

-----------

Sum it all up?

-----------

-----------

-----------

Sum it all up?

:):laughing::laughing::laughing:

A bit off topic, but we're 12 pages into it anyways . . .

I spent some time yesterday in the aisles at CostCo looking for potential "cache containers." Never once occurred to me that the peanut butter container might trigger an allergy!

But speaking of containers -- Some of them in the store are a "standard" configuration and used by different products. Only the label and contents vary. At any rate, Pace Salsa has a "perfect" container -- wide mouth, about a quart, even a nice groove in the side for securing a tether. I saw several different products in the same container. Nearly perfect.

BUT -- the lid is a plastic rim with a metal "cap," like a two piece Mason canning jar lid. The cap is "brass" on the outside, with a plastic "gasket."

I expect it might last a few years in a decent environment. But I cache stuff at the ocean, w/ salt air and corrosion all around.

Whoever is producing this jar, I can't believe that the two piece lid has advantages in function or production cost over a one piece plastic lid.

And the other option is to ask pharmacies for their empty meds containers.

-----------

Don't use peanut butter jars, you might hurt someone with a peanut allergy even tho it is a risk that they should be assuming themselves we have to do all we can to defeat Darwin.

-----------

Don't use peanut butter jars you might hurt someone with a peanut allergy use mayo jars, they are bigger and we can kill the people that are allergic to eggs.

-----------

Don't use a serviceable used container, buy a new unused one and help fill landfills quicker.

-----------

-----------

-----------

Sum it all up?

You are gifted.

-----------

-----------

-----------

-----------

-----------

-----------

Sum it all up?

You are gifted.

:blink::(:D:o ROTFPIMP

Okay, I skipped....so maybe it was somewhere back in the previous 12 pages and it didn't make the summary...but I guess that I don't get why someone would use any container that had contained food for a cache container? :blink:

The reason i looked up this thread is because i found 3 caches that had PB jars as a container. i was really impressed with how dry the contents were, even when the outside of the jar was covered in mud.

i found a plastic lock container and the log book was damp. The PB jars that i found were the big size and held items and a good size log book. i'm just looking for a good container for SW FL, where we get downpours and areas flood easily.

i also like the idea of "reusing" a container instead of buying something new. The PB jars i found were really clean inside. Probably since i'm new, i also liked that i could spot the PB jars red lid. 2 were hidden really well and all i saw was a flash of red!

In any case, it's what i decided to use and i got some good tips such as filling the jar with bleach water. It's fun seeing the different containers folks use. Good to know which are best in specific areas.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Okay, I skipped....so maybe it was somewhere back in the previous 12 pages and it didn't make the summary...but I guess that I don't get why someone would use any container that had contained food for a cache container? :blink:

The reason i looked up this thread is because i found 3 caches that had PB jars as a container. i was really impressed with how dry the contents were, even when the outside of the jar was covered in mud.

i found a plastic lock container and the log book was damp. The PB jars that i found were the big size and held items and a good size log book. i'm just looking for a good container for SW FL, where we get downpours and areas flood easily.

i also like the idea of "reusing" a container instead of buying something new. The PB jars i found were really clean inside. Probably since i'm new, i also liked that i could spot the PB jars red lid. 2 were hidden really well and all i saw was a flash of red!

In any case, it's what i decided to use and i got some good tips such as filling the jar with bleach water. It's fun seeing the different containers folks use. Good to know which are best in specific areas.

The only thing that you have to make sure of doing is to wash out the container thoroughly and you will be alright. If you put a peanut butter jar out in the woods without washing it, it will be found in a day or two by bears or raccoons and your cache will be destroyed, possibly along with the hiding area!

It made the summery.

It made the summery.

I was thinking more about animals finding something that had food residue and some COs believing that they can somehow get all traces of the scent out of the food containers. :(

It made the summery.

I was thinking more about animals finding something that had food residue and some COs believing that they can somehow get all traces of the scent out of the food containers. :(

And some CO's know that their attempts to remove the smell also ends up making it smell undesirable even if the original food scent isn't completely removed.

i guess only experience will tell. This cache i found today was another peanut butter jar (signature container of a certain group) and it was in the woods for 3 years i believe. Looked great! i don't think there are bears when i am. i suppose the area will help determine the container! The more i find, the more i will know what containers are good.

It made the summery.

And some CO's know that their attempts to remove the smell also ends up making it smell undesirable even if the original food scent isn't completely removed.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

we have areas of our school that are nut-safe (and they really are; we have a very strict and effective protcol)

So I guess you keep the liberals out of these areas?

Honestly, I have 2 relatives that are severely allergic to peanuts. They take responsibility for themselves. I am so tired of having to assume responsibility for others. I will of course, list a pb container on the cache page it is is used but like others have said what about the person that just ate a pb sandwich and is now handling caches, travel bugs, coins, etc..... No one in this world wants to take responsibility for themselves anymore.

I'm just looking for a good container for SW FL, where we get downpours and areas flood easily.

Ammo cans work well in south Florida. They are technically a used item, so you get extra "Going Green/recycle" karma points. They have several points on them to attach a tether to, so you need not worry about them floating away in a flood, like a PB jar. The percentage of folks physically allergic to 7.62x35 ammo is even less than the percentage of folks allergic to peanuts. They can survive having a Toyota parked on top of them, where a PB jar will get smooshed. They can survive being mauled by bears looking for a chew toy, where PB jars get shredded. You can fit more stuff in an ammo can than you can in a typical PB jar.

In fact, until we run out of ammo cans, I can't think of a single reason why I'd intentionally select a PB jar. :rolleyes:

I'm just looking for a good container for SW FL, where we get downpours and areas flood easily.

Ammo cans work well in south Florida. They are technically a used item, so you get extra "Going Green/recycle" karma points. They have several points on them to attach a tether to, so you need not worry about them floating away in a flood, like a PB jar. The percentage of folks physically allergic to 7.62x35 ammo is even less than the percentage of folks allergic to peanuts. They can survive having a Toyota parked on top of them, where a PB jar will get smooshed. They can survive being mauled by bears looking for a chew toy, where PB jars get shredded. You can fit more stuff in an ammo can than you can in a typical PB jar.

In fact, until we run out of ammo cans, I can't think of a single reason why I'd intentionally select a PB jar. :rolleyes:

Top then reasons for using a Peanut Butter jar:

10. Small footprint in the jeep

9. Tend to be watertight

8. Size and shape = versatile hiding spots

7. Attractive when painted with cammo fusion paint

6. Just the right size for my Geocaching stencil

5. Often last, safe and dry, for years

4. They are known in some parts as an "ICM Container"

3. One word - free

2. Can keep a forum thread going for years

1. My Grandma left me stock in an EpiPen manufacturing company

076a196c-aaab-4681-902a-ac7666965a68.jpg

we have areas of our school that are nut-safe (and they really are; we have a very strict and effective protcol)

So I guess you keep the liberals out of these areas?

Honestly, I have 2 relatives that are severely allergic to peanuts. They take responsibility for themselves. I am so tired of having to assume responsibility for others. I will of course, list a pb container on the cache page it is is used but like others have said what about the person that just ate a pb sandwich and is now handling caches, travel bugs, coins, etc..... No one in this world wants to take responsibility for themselves anymore.

Why take the risk of putting other's health at stake? Wouldn't it just be safer not to use a peanut butter jar! It's not as though containers are expensive. Peanut allergy is a life threatening condition for many people and while people do try and take responsibilty for themselves, wouldn't the world be just that much nicer a place if we also looked out for others too?

Edited by MagickalElves

In fact, until we run out of ammo cans, I can't think of a single reason why I'd intentionally select a PB jar. :blink:

I need to see studies on your premise. I think most folks have a strong, adverse reaction to bullets. But I will concede that the reaction isn't caused by the recycled ammo can. Unless someone is swinging real hard that is.

Why take the risk of putting other's health at stake? Wouldn't it just be safer not to use a peanut butter jar! It's not as though containers are expensive. Peanut allergy is a life threatening condition for many people and while people do try and take responsibility for themselves, wouldn't the world be just that much nicer a place if we also looked out for others too?

Out of well over 50,000 cache logs on my hides, there is not one documented case an an allergic reaction (aside from bee stings and poison ivy). I am unaware of ANY case of ANY adverse reaction to a peanut butter jar used as a cache container ANYWHERE (aside from noses being reflexively thrust in the air, but that mostly occurs on the forums, not while actually, you know, caching). In the years this thread has been kept alive I do not recall anyone ever posting any serious reaction involving peanut allergies and caching (though many people know someone who knows someone who knows some who dies on sight of a bag of Planter's).

The incidence of serious peanut allergies is, for the most part, a media hype job, whose primary effect has been to get our government schools to waste money on the issue. This is not to say that there are not isolated cases of serious allergies. However, isn't it reasonable to believe that these hypothetical cachers, afflicted with a life threatening allergy, might recognize the profile of a peanut butter jar when they see it? That they might actually assume responsibility for protecting themselves? Might actually not be a bunch of victimized whiners looking for the rest of us to hold their hands as they enjoy caching?

After all, we do not limit our hides to those that can be done by people in a wheel chair, do we? And, cheese n rice, cachers in wheel chairs actually exist. I have met some of them.

Susceptibility of peanut butter jars to Bear Chomp is definitely a consideration in places crawling with bears, like the Ocala National Forest. And they are not as reliably water tight as an ammo can or a lock and lock. These are reasonable considerations in the selection of a container (as is the relative cost of these alternative containers). Imaginary concerns about some cacher with a deadly allergy to peanuts who can't recognize a peanut butter jar are just that, imaginary.

BTW, in Ocala National Forest, the bears have come to associate the smell of plastic with food, so they even zoom in on spanking new lock an locks. All containers have issues.

@IceCreamMan, Hey, those look awesome! Did you just use regular spray paint on them?

For painting plastic you need to use "Fusion" paint. The Camouflage paint they sell at Ace or Walmart has Fusion. Just look for Fusion on the label:

60a31dea-fd13-44fc-8359-000558284c2f.jpg

It's good to give them a week after painting them before placing them to make them more resistant to scratching. And for you Peanut Butter Bigots, it's good for lock and locks too.

Start with a light coat and work your way to dark. I use khaki, brown and black, and just use a twig with leaves, broken off from an indigenous tree in my yard for the leaf shapes. Nothing fancy. Just lay it against the container and spray.

"The incidence of serious peanut allergies is, for the most part, a media hype job, whose primary effect has been to get our government schools to waste money on the issue."

Ahem. I'm pleased money is spent on this serious issue. If it saves just one life then its money well spent. I don't know what it's like over in America, but In the UK its pretty tough for peanut sufferers with food companies stating in their allergy warnings "May contain traces of nuts" just to cover themselves when the food probably hasn't been anywhere near nuts. It leaves nut allergy suffers really restricted in the food they can eat. Any money spent on education and the serious nature of anaphylaxis is good and is definitely not a waste. As I said before, cache containers are as cheap as chips so I don't really see any need in using old food tubs.

"The incidence of serious peanut allergies is, for the most part, a media hype job, whose primary effect has been to get our government schools to waste money on the issue."

Ahem. I'm pleased money is spent on this serious issue. If it saves just one life then its money well spent. I don't know what it's like over in America, but In the UK its pretty tough for peanut sufferers with food companies stating in their allergy warnings "May contain traces of nuts" just to cover themselves when the food probably hasn't been anywhere near nuts. It leaves nut allergy suffers really restricted in the food they can eat. Any money spent on education and the serious nature of anaphylaxis is good and is definitely not a waste. As I said before, cache containers are as cheap as chips so I don't really see any need in using old food tubs.

Long as it's YOUR money, you can waste it as you see fit.

I'm extremely allergic to fish and seafood if ingested and get a skin reaction when the stuff gets on me as well. I wish cachers wouldn't put used fishing accouterments in caches but they do. Or place caches near where people are likely to gut their fish, but they do etc. Being a fishing culture here with fish as the menu item and/or in most things on a menu or a pot luck I'm careful about what I eat or touch.

When caching and dealing with my allergy I'm careful. I'm mindful of what I'm touching. If I question it I ask my friend to do the handling of the goods. I don't expect the hiders to acquiesce to my allergies. And if I get enough of the stuff on me I'm looking at anaphlaxis as well.

I would like to see a study of how much nut residue is on well washed peanut butter containers. I would bet most clean containers are put out with more nut residue than the used containers if they're sitting in the vicinity of nuts. Not to mention the nut residue on individuals hands handling the cache and the log.

@IceCreamMan, Hey, those look awesome!

Seeker, please don't encourage him. Dave's a wild man! Every time someone pats him on the back, he goes out and hides more. Then I gotta go find them! It's a vicious cycle. :unsure::lol:

Sean, October is right around the corner. I'm sure we will have the chance to find another 100 of them out on the trails

I am unaware of ANY case of ANY adverse reaction to a peanut butter jar used as a cache container ANYWHERE

NOT TRUE! I know a guy, who said he knew this guy, whose neighbor knew this guy, whose veterinarian's landscaper knew this guy, whose second cousin read on the Internet, (so it MUST be true), that some guy was out caching, and met a guy on the trail who said he knew a guy who had an adverse reaction to peanut residue from a PB jar cache container! :)

So there! :)

Meanie! :)

Uh...

Er...

Never mind.

(Note to self: Always read the whole post before replying) :lol:

_palmk_35mmFilmCanister.JPG

EEEEKK!!! (Little Girlie Scream) :unsure::):)

Sean, October is right around the corner. I'm sure we will have the chance to find another 100 of them out on the trails

Whoo Hoo!! Got it on my calendar!

Edited by Clan Riffster
I am unaware of ANY case of ANY adverse reaction to a peanut butter jar used as a cache container ANYWHERE

NOT TRUE! I know a guy, who said he knew this guy, whose neighbor knew this guy, whose veterinarian's landscaper knew this guy, whose second cousin read on the Internet, (so it MUST be true), that some guy was out caching, and met a guy on the trail who said he knew a guy who had an adverse reaction to peanut residue from a PB jar cache container! :mad:

So there! :mad:

Meanie! :mad:

Uh...

Er...

Never mind.

(Note to self: Always read the whole post before replying) :D

_palmk_35mmFilmCanister.JPG

EEEEKK!!! (Little Girlie Scream) :):lol::P

Whoo Hoo!! Got it on my calendar!

i'd like to come search too! i keep reading about 35mm film canisters but haven't come across any yet...

Maybe when i go caching in St Aug this week there will be some since it's more populated.