Peanut Butter jars

And I'm still of the opinion that there are so many things in the world that can cause problems for people, that we need to look out for ourselves and not expect other people to look out for us. If you've got a peanut allergy that is life threatening, don't open containers that used to be peanut butter jars. Same thing for people that are allergic to mayonaise, etc. If peanut allergies were the only problems people ever had, of course we'd all be more willing to help those people avoid peanuts. But there are so many potential problems that you can't protect people from themselves, they have to take FULL responsibility.

Also, drive carefully on the way to the cache location. Almost every one of us are at risk of getting killed whenever we drive anywhere.

It reminds me of an old Pogo comic strip (am I dating myself or what?) where one character stated "This life will be the death of me yet!"

im assuming this is an incresibvly stupid question btu here goes

why would you use a glass jar for a cache?

i dont know where you are all from but here(UK) jam jars, dolmio sauce jars, amrmite jars, gravy jars, peanut butter jars, maramalade jars, mayonaise jars are all made from glass.

those which are made form plastic (ice cream, butter etc) tend to be flimsyh here so the only real option is buying a tupperware container

for 1.50 i got a good strong air-tight one at tescos which holds a litre.

if jars are palstic where you are surely using boiling water and washing up liquid would remove all peanut residue so therefore not a problem?

im assuming this is an incresibvly stupid question btu here goes

why would you use a glass jar for a cache?

i dont know where you are all from but here(UK) jam jars, dolmio sauce jars, amrmite jars, gravy jars, peanut butter jars, maramalade jars, mayonaise jars are all made from glass.

those which are made form plastic (ice cream, butter etc) tend to be flimsyh here so the only real option is buying a tupperware container

for 1.50 i got a good strong air-tight one at tescos which holds a litre.

if jars are palstic where you are surely using boiling water and washing up liquid would remove all peanut residue so therefore not a problem?

Very very few things come in glass jars here, everythings plastic. Match the container to the location and you are fine, regardless of what that container is.

I hate to admit this, but I'm allergic to the paint used on ammo boxes, to the plastic used to make lock n' locks, and to 35MM film. Waterproof matchstick containers are OK as long as they don't come from Walmart, but I am allergic to anything purchased there. Altoid tins are OK as long as they never contained anything flavored with wintergreen, peppermint, cinnamon, or spearmint. Magnets of any kind can be fatal to me if I get within 10 feet or less of them.

But I don't want this to evolve to a thread about allergy angst... I LOVE geocaching as long as I can keep claiming DNFs.

I love recycling food containers to make caches: Marinara jars, peanut butter jars, rice jars, nut jars, spice containers, etc. I use both glass and plastic. They all paint up nicely, are inexpensive, and seal up pretty well, especially the glass jars. Now enough with the guilt game. Go hide a few more caches.

Edited by The Full House 5

I love recycling food containers to make caches: Marinara jars, peanut butter jars, rice jars, nut jars, spice containers, etc. I use both glass and plastic. They all paint up nicely, are inexpensive, and seal up pretty well, especially the glass jars. Now enough with the guilt game. Go hide a few more caches.

OMG!!!???!!!! NOT MARINARA JARS! That does it. I'm dead.

The world is a dangerous place.

Anyone that is hyper allergic to peanuts, and chooses on their own to reach into an old peanut butter jar, is taking the risk themselves.

It's not up to us to make everything completely and totally safe for everyone while searching for one of our caches.

Besides, I believe you actually have to eat some peanut to have a reaction, not just touch it.

Anyone who knowingly leaves a health hazard for someone to encounter and then claims it's the victims fault for picking is up is only deluding themselves that they have no responsibility in the matter.

I don't have the allergy, but one someone very dear to me does. You DO NOT have to eat the peanut butter. The allergy can be triggered merely by contacting a microscopic portion of the oils. This is a potentially deadly allergy, so please take it seriously.

If you have to use a food jar, try one of the new plastic mayo jars. They're bigger, anyway. :anitongue:

What about someone who is alergic to mayo or eggs?

Anyone that is hyper allergic to peanuts, and chooses on their own to reach into an old peanut butter jar, is taking the risk themselves.

It's not up to us to make everything completely and totally safe for everyone while searching for one of our caches.

Besides, I believe you actually have to eat some peanut to have a reaction, not just touch it.

Anyone who knowingly leaves a health hazard for someone to encounter and then claims it's the victims fault for picking is up is only deluding themselves that they have no responsibility in the matter.

I don't have the allergy, but one someone very dear to me does. You DO NOT have to eat the peanut butter. The allergy can be triggered merely by contacting a microscopic portion of the oils. This is a potentially deadly allergy, so please take it seriously.

If you have to use a food jar, try one of the new plastic mayo jars. They're bigger, anyway. :anitongue:

They should be careful not to eat eggs or egg products.

They should be careful not to eat eggs or egg products.

lol good point. I guess my point was that we can not protect everyone all of the time. You can try to warn about potential risks that may effect select individuals but ultimately we all make choices regarding our actions. I am diabetic. I make choices on when I can allow myself to indulge a little. If I am at a social gathering and someone brings cake, brownies or ice cream (my weakness) I am not going to blame that individual for my blood sugar to spike.

I LOVE the peanut butter jar thread! Wohoo! it's back

Actually, I think there was an even better one, where the OP wanted to ban them (or at least ask nicely that no one ever use them). I've found my share of Peanut Butter and Mayo jars, I think screw-top plastics make pretty good containers, I'd dare say better than lock-n-locks. Of course it's almost impossible to get rid of the residual food smells, at least where some sensitive-nosed critters are concerned.

I have found a few food containers recycled as caches. Seems to me, most of the time the cache page notes it as such.

Unless it would give it away, it would be best to mention what kind of food container was used for the hide. After that it is up to the seeker to use what caution fits their needs.

When I first started caching, I found it most useful to know what I was looking for. When I started placing caches, wondering just what to do with the Short Description, and since it came first, I used that slot to tell potential finders exactly what they were looking for. (I rock!)

Sure, there is always a risk involved in caching. There's a risk involved in getting out of bed in the morning. That doesn't mean that the cache hider should shurk their responsibility to think about what they are putting out. One of my first cache finds was a GLASS peanut butter jar wrapped in camouflage tape. I didn't know it was glass, dropped it, sliced my thumb and bled all over the place 100 miles from anywhere else in Texas. I was so happy with this that I expressed myself very well in my Find Log! To this day, I jus don't hunt that guys caches. That is my vote of disapproval. He should have used his head!!!

Now, I question the use of a food container, and especially one that previously contained food, as a cache container. As has been danced around in this thread, its the oil from the peanuts that lingers in the container. This can be very hard to remove for obvious reasons. Considering that animals have a much better sense of smell than we do (this really isn't true) and since they are conditioned to hunt for a ready food source, aren't these caches much more prone to be chewed than other containers? I love peanut butter. I also have found several up-the-skirt geocaches. Its pretty safe to say that that I will Never hide a cache using a peanut butter jar OR one of any type in a lightpole. (There are better options out there.)

Lock & Lock containers have been mentioned above. I bought several sets at Target about one year ago for an Average Price of $2.00 each. They are excellent food storage containers. They work well for Hilda's treats and chewsticks. They also make incredible cache containers. While they don't come with peanut butter inside for $2.00, they sure are muh better cache containers. Go out and buy some, paint them, and then hide them for Hilda and I to go find!

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

To me that is like asking the grocery store to stop carrying something because you are allergic to it.

not really. when you go to the grocery store, you know there's peanut butter and nut products there. you don't have to reach blind into a hollow log to find out.

Disclaimer: I have not read all 11 pages, nor do I intend to take the time to do so. This may have already been said.

That said, I would have thought this would be obvious, but obviously not. If you're sticking your hand blind into a hollow log, you're taking a risk, whether you have a peanut allergy or not. You might encounter any number of things a lot more dangerous than a food jar.

Interesting thread with many different points of view. Odd timing because we just cleaned a peanut butter jar and have it in the garage ready to be painted. My only concern before reading this thread was how long it would take for the paint to wear off and the bright red cap become visible. Now after considering the issues, the jar is headed to the recycling bin. So that's it for me on this thread -- we'll make a personal decision and move on.

I would rather have a food container any day of the week than a micro!

Yes! :D A voice of reason! :D

Both of you sure find a lot of micros for people that hate finding micros. :D

Unfortunately I can't as easily look and see how many peanut butter jars people have found, I'm sure that would be fun too.

Just to throw my 2c in...

I'm allergic to bee stings...

My wife and I were goecaching in and around Murphy, NC.

After finding a cache, I was stung by a yellow jacket. They tend bed under ground. Just so happens that some bedded close to the cache; probably well after the cache was placed.

Within 20 to 30 minutes, my airways were constricting, voice changing, swelling and etc..

I was lucky enough to be Kind of close to the town and was able to get to the ER in time.

About 10 minutes after getting to the ER, my 02 stats were down in the mid 80's. If we would have been any further away from the town - I wouldn't have made it..

Point being; it wasn't the cache owner's fault that the yellow jackets bedded close to the cache, and, I ALWAYS carry an EpiPen (2 of them) in the truck at all times with other histamine blockers now.

I ended up going back to the cache (a few days later) and gassing the bed of yellow jackets so no one else would have to deal with them.

And,,,,, the other point is, I have to worry about myself; I don't expect others to do it for me...

I'm also allergic to poison ivy type plants.. I use gloves and "Ivy Blocker" as a precaution if I see poison ivy/oak/sumac..

....yeah,,, explain this allergy after being a surveyor for 8 years... :blink::):D

I just wish to weigh in here and announce to the world how tickled pink I am that this long-ago-dead, beat-a-dead-horse thread has once again been resurrected and simply refuses to die. And, to ensure that this thread complies with Groundspeak requirements regarding mention of nanny goats or jenny donkeys and invocation of Godwin's Law in each thread, I submit the following:

Many jenny donkeys that I have met have an uncanny ability to find a geocache. :)

Every time anyone employs a used peanut butter jar as a cache container, it makes Hitler and his top Nazi lieutenants, now in the Netherworld, smile with delight. :blink::D

Thank you for having done the needful in reading the above post!

After finding a cache, I was stung by a yellow jacket. They tend bed under ground. Just so happens that some bedded close to the cache; probably well after the cache was placed.

Within 20 to 30 minutes, my airways were constricting, voice changing, swelling and etc..

I was lucky enough to be Kind of close to the town and was able to get to the ER in time.

About 10 minutes after getting to the ER, my 02 stats were down in the mid 80's. If we would have been any further away from the town - I wouldn't have made it..

Point being; it wasn't the cache owner's fault that the yellow jackets bedded close to the cache, and, I ALWAYS carry an EpiPen (2 of them) in the truck at all times with other histamine blockers now.

I ended up going back to the cache (a few days later) and gassing the bed of yellow jackets so no one else would have to deal with them.

And,,,,, the other point is, I have to worry about myself; I don't expect others to do it for me...

I'm also allergic to poison ivy type plants.. I use gloves and "Ivy Blocker" as a precaution if I see poison ivy/oak/sumac..

....yeah,,, explain this allergy after being a surveyor for 8 years... :blink::):D

I'm glad you're OK! Just fyi, I don't think you're supposed to keep Epi-Pens in your car. The temperature changes can affect the potency of the med. There are belts available that are specifically designed to carry an Epi-Pen in them. They are sold at pharmacies like CVS. You might want to look into one to wear while caching.

....yeah,,, explain this allergy after being a surveyor for 8 years... :(:D:(

I'm glad you're OK! Just fyi, I don't think you're supposed to keep Epi-Pens in your car. The temperature changes can affect the potency of the med. There are belts available that are specifically designed to carry an Epi-Pen in them. They are sold at pharmacies like CVS. You might want to look into one to wear while caching.

No worries, soon there won't be any bees left anyway...

I think it is interesting that about 100 people in the US die each year from food allergies. This is about the same number that die from bee stings. Millions of people have food intolerance and confuse it with food allergies, which are rare. I feel compassion for those with a severe food allergy. There is probably no really good way to protect yourself, if you have a severe food allergy. Certainly, expecting everyone else to protect you is completely unrealistic.

Peanuts... I love them. They have saved thousands, if not millions of lives. Go wiki Plumpy'nut.

I believe that most people who say they have a food allergy.... don't. People like to feel special. I'm allergic to those people, also Anthrax.

Imagine that everyone had a severe food allergy to peanuts. We could fight wars with peanuts! Add to that milk products. War would be even more of a mess than it is today.

Thanks to natural selection, most of us can eat peanuts and breath the peanut laden air.

I had peanut day at work! I gave out peanuts and put a peanut jar on my desk. No one died, but I did roll a peanut grenade in the office of a co-worker that I don't like much. It didn't work, darn it.

George Washington Carver is rolling in his grave.

Edited by Bewildered

I know one peanut butter jar cache that was placed about two year ago, no animal has ever bothered it and unlike most of the other non-ammo box containers in this area the contents are still dry and in great shape. No doubt it's postion under a rock helps keep the rain off it but an animal would have no trouble getting it out if they so desired. Of course we don't have bears or cougars here either, one of them might treat it differently. As long as you state that the container is a pb jar let the finder beware.

Interesting thread. Glad i found it. i'm still new, have found 7 or so caches, 3 of which were in peanut butter (JIFF) jars. After seeing how dry the contents were i decided to make my first cache inside a peanut butter jar. The ones i found were clean inside, dry and no peanut butter smell. i actually found one today that was covered in stinking mud but was dry inside!

i think i will hand wash and then maybe bleach. Good suggestions. Thanks!

I know one peanut butter jar cache that was placed about two year ago, no animal has ever bothered it and unlike most of the other non-ammo box containers in this area the contents are still dry and in great shape. No doubt it's postion under a rock helps keep the rain off it but an animal would have no trouble getting it out if they so desired. Of course we don't have bears or cougars here either, one of them might treat it differently. As long as you state that the container is a pb jar let the finder beware.

Interesting thread. Glad i found it. i'm still new, have found 7 or so caches, 3 of which were in peanut butter (JIFF) jars. After seeing how dry the contents were i decided to make my first cache inside a peanut butter jar. The ones i found were clean inside, dry and no peanut butter smell. i actually found one today that was covered in stinking mud but was dry inside!

i think i will hand wash and then maybe bleach. Good suggestions. Thanks!

I have a reaction to peanuts and peanut oil, but haven't had a problem with containers. I'd be more concerned about placing -any- cache which smells of food. Perhaps the best thing to do is to place empty food containers out of doors, open and in an area protected from animals, exposed to wind, Sun and rain, until the container has lost most of its food odor.

Instead of peanut butter jars, use Hellmann's Mayonnaise jars instead. They seal perfectly and there will be no fantasy of some cacher dieing from touching a washed peanut butter jar. It never happened, it never will.

Edited by JohnX

i'm not worried about the peanut allergy. i don't eat dairy or eggs so i know that folks with allergies or food restrictions really take good care to watch out for themselves.

So, i don't eat mayo! i'm vegan. i'll be sure to let bleach water soak in the PB jar so that the peanut smell is gone. i don't want to attract animals.

i was just so impressed with the quality of the PB caches here considering we get downpours every day in the summer. They held a lot too!

Instead of peanut butter jars, use Hellmann's Mayonnaise jars instead. They seal perfectly and there will be no fantasy of some cacher dieing from touching a washed peanut butter jar. It never happened, it never will.