Peanut Butter jars

well, you "seasoned" people are scaring us newbies off. This post/thread was ridiculous. Gosh, I hope these forums or threads, or whatever they're suppose to be called aren't all like this one.

You will not learn a lot about geocaching in the forums. Your best be is to just go out and start finding a bunch of caches. Just start with the easy ones. If you look at the number of cachers there are, then look at the number of forum regulars you will see the very few cachers hang out in the forums. It takes away from geocaching time.

Edit to add.

I think I saw some one mention that a person with a lot of hides must know what he/she is doing when hidding a cache.

This in not the case, the crapiest caches I have found were place by cachers with high hide counts.

It does not take a lot of skill to hide a film can under a lamp post skirt. I know one cache the brags that he has over 200 active hides. I have never found a cache he has hidden that was not a crapy hide.

When I started caching I spent a week on the forums before ordering my unit and then another week before it arrived. I learned a lot. However, I was also a veteran of the VN gaming boards so I knew how to separate the wheat from the chaff when it came to determining what forums and threads held useful info and which ones were less-than-useful. The VN boards make the most horrible postings here look like kindergarten - there are some really nasty folks there sometimes. There, like here, I spent my time (mostly) in the useful areas and ingnored the other areas. Here, even the "nasty, flaming" areas are pretty tame and it's "safe" to go anywhere. There really is useful info and a also there are a lot of helpful people in these forums. You just need to choose wisely when visiting.

[Edit to stay on topic]

As for peanut butter jars - I don't use them. I'm a fan of the ammo can.

seconded. whenever i see a person with a high hide count (and when did that become a badge of honor?) i invariably think that i'm going to be treated to another yogurt cup stuck under a rock at a pull-off. it's very difficult for me when i meet these people, because the seem to want to be treated with some celebrity over their number of hides. i never know what to say. i, uh, lack a certain degree of diplomacy and all i want to do is make some smart comment about all the trashcache spew.

Well, having been chastised earlier (by someone else) for having a higher post count than find count....

But, hey, this is a fun place to play when I'm not geocaching, such as evenings. :laughing:

But the response to your statement is: It's the quality, not the quantity. One of our local cachers celebrated his 300th find, and 100th hide last weekend. (I only got Second to Find. Oh, well.) All are quality hides!

Another local cacher with 575 finds and 205 hides! All great caches (except, maybe, the kayaking caches.)

Both of these cachers have my respect!

Another local cacher has 1300 finds and 32 hides. Of the 32 hides, 20 are archived for not being maintained. I cannot say that I have any respect for this cacher.

Respect is something that is earned. How you wish to assign respect to other cachers is your prerogative.

Well, I've never met a real life psychotic. This is interesting.......Hope we never meet in person. Here is good enough for me to know to stay back.......lol

i'm not at all sure about whom you are talking, but psychotic is an adjective, not a noun. it is not a diagnosis in an of itself, but rather a symptom that can be caused by mental illness, drugs, or even certain injuries, infections or fever.

but if claiming to be "a" psychotic (as you so gracelessly put it) will keep you away, hand me my tinfoil hat.

calvin coolidge isn't dead! he's designing navigational satellites and spy satellites! the league of nations is still meeting, and they keep looking in my house to look for evidence of the governent's super-secret invisible assassin ray.

seconded. whenever i see a person with a high hide count (and when did that become a badge of honor?) i invariably think that i'm going to be treated to another yogurt cup stuck under a rock at a pull-off. it's very difficult for me when i meet these people, because the seem to want to be treated with some celebrity over their number of hides. i never know what to say. i, uh, lack a certain degree of diplomacy and all i want to do is make some smart comment about all the trashcache spew.

Well, having been chastised earlier (by someone else) for having a higher post count than find count....

But, hey, this is a fun place to play when I'm not geocaching, such as evenings. :laughing:

But the response to your statement is: It's the quality, not the quantity. One of our local cachers celebrated his 300th find, and 100th hide last weekend. (I only got Second to Find. Oh, well.) All are quality hides!

Another local cacher with 575 finds and 205 hides! All great caches (except, maybe, the kayaking caches.)

Both of these cachers have my respect!

Another local cacher has 1300 finds and 32 hides. Of the 32 hides, 20 are archived for not being maintained. I cannot say that I have any respect for this cacher.

Respect is something that is earned. How you wish to assign respect to other cachers is your prerogative.

perhaps you can tell from my post that in the area where i live there are no very prolific hiders with quality hides. their objective seems to be having a high hide count. when a person famous for film canisters in the bushes comes up to me and asks if i've seen his 200th hide, i cringe. you might, too.

I hadn't thought of that, but I think that's a valid concern. I don't know a lot about peanut allergies, but it is my understanding that they can be SEVERE. In that even eating something that came from a kitchen where peanuts were handled in other dishes could be enough.

I hadn't thought of that, but I think that's a valid concern. I don't know a lot about peanut allergies, but it is my understanding that they can be SEVERE. In that even eating something that came from a kitchen where peanuts were handled in other dishes could be enough.

Eating something that has been in the presents of peanuts can't make someone who is allergic have a reaction. They must ingest the peanuts. If you have ever seen the chaos in a working kitchen then you would understand how a dish could very easily become cross contaminated.

Eating something that has been in the presents of peanuts can't make someone who is allergic have a reaction. They must ingest the peanuts. If you have ever seen the chaos in a working kitchen then you would understand how a dish could very easily become cross contaminated.

Simply untrue statement. One would think that with the seriousness of the topic, some modicum of reading and/or research would be made prior to making a broad statement such as that above.

A short blurb from Mayo Clinic: "Peanut allergies trigger an immune system response. Your immune system reacts to proteins found in peanuts. Exposure to peanuts or traces of peanuts may cause immediate reactions, such as itching, redness, swelling, shortness of breath, wheezing, nausea, abdominal pain, lightheadedness or loss of consciousness (anaphylaxis).The chemicals in peanuts can cause hives to develop on the areas of your skin that have come in contact with peanuts or traces of peanuts. Hives may spread to the rest of your body."

That being said, as a parent of a wee one with peanut allergy, it is my responsibility to recognize potential sources and avoid contact. I would not expect someone to modify their cache container choice because I often have a tot with me who is allergic to food that was in the container.

All of the allergy debate aside, the scent from the peanuts or any other food container can invite nibbling critters (even if the container is washed). This, in my opinion, makes such containers a poor choice in many geographic locations.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

- snip -

All of the allergy debate aside, the scent from the peanuts or any other food container can invite nibbling critters (even if the container is washed). This, in my opinion, makes such containers a poor choice in many geographic locations.

And that is the heart of my sincere puzzlement over this topic. PB jars are not very good containers. It's almost as if the allergy issue is stirring up a perverse support for a kind of cache container that has little else to recommend it.

If we were talking about ammo cans and some small minority had a serious allergy to traces left behind by ammunition, I could make a case that these few individuals just have to deal with it--cache with dust masks on or something--because ammo cans are in most other respects ideal for long-term, full-size caches in areas exposed to the weather. But used PB jars? C'mon.

- snip -

And that is the heart of my sincere puzzlement over this topic. PB jars are not very good containers. It's almost as if the allergy issue is stirring up a perverse support for a kind of cache container that has little else to recommend it.

If we were talking about ammo cans and some small minority had a serious allergy to traces left behind by ammunition, I could make a case that these few individuals just have to deal with it--cache with dust masks on or something--because ammo cans are in most other respects ideal for long-term, full-size caches in areas exposed to the weather. But used PB jars? C'mon.

I've seen a few PB jars out in the wild for a couple years without issue. Someone suggested that as long as they are properly bleached that they won't be nibbled.

11 Days and still going & going & going .....

Has either side won the argument yet?

Has anyone 'Spazed' out from peanut butter during this time?

Has anyone 'Croaked' from peanut butter during this time?

Has anyone enjoyed their peanut butter / jelly sandwich during this time?

The thread was just about to die, and your post revived it. Now mine extended it. I think I have found the mechanism that keeps these things going and going. :o

no, but last night i came into contact with an unknown allergen and i had a couple of scary hours.

but i'd like to second what mule ears said: around here PB jars are viewed as substandard containers on a par with gladware.

On Tuesday afternoon I was flying home from Tampa Fl and while eating my peanuts thought about this thread. It would be strange, I thought, if I developed a reaction and died because of them. But I didn't, and lived long enough to finish the bag. I was so happy about it I ate a second bag to celebrate.

Yup. They beat the heck out of the red plastic coffee containers. Now those should be banned just on general principle. :)

I AM ALERGIC TO COFFEE!!!! :)

You should be fine. The product contained in those red plastic containers is in no way related to actual coffee. :lol:

A short blurb from Mayo Clinic: "Peanut allergies trigger an immune system response. Your immune system reacts to proteins found in peanuts. Exposure to peanuts or traces of peanuts may cause immediate reactions, such as itching, redness, swelling, shortness of breath, wheezing, nausea, abdominal pain, lightheadedness or loss of consciousness (anaphylaxis).The chemicals in peanuts can cause hives to develop on the areas of your skin that have come in contact with peanuts or traces of peanuts. Hives may spread to the rest of your body."

Exactly, one has to come in to contact with (be exposed to) peanuts to trigger an allergic response. Simply being within' feet of a jar that once contained peanuts won't do it.

One day I was driving down the interstate. As I looked out the drivers side window, I realize I'm looking at an old man driving in the next lane over. Thing is, the next lane over was on the other side of the median! 65 mph, going head-on into oncoming traffic, and the guy survived. Not only did he survive, but he didn't even get into an accident!

What's my point?

I've seen a few PB jars out in the wild for a couple years without issue...
My point is just because someone's gotten away with doing something doesn't make it a good idea. :lol:

One day I was driving down the interstate. As I looked out the drivers side window, I realize I'm looking at an old man driving in the next lane over. Thing is, the next lane over was on the other side of the median! 65 mph, going head-on into oncoming traffic, and the guy survived. Not only did he survive, but he didn't even get into an accident!

What's my point?

I've seen a few PB jars out in the wild for a couple years without issue...
My point is just because someone's gotten away with doing something doesn't make it a good idea. :lol:

It doesn't make it a bad idea, either.

For instance, a few years ago, I was driving on the interstate (on the correct side). A drunk was on the wrong side and we met in the middle, each of us going about 70 mph. By your logic, I should stop driving on the interstate because there is clearly a chance that someone could drive on the wrong side and collide with me. I reject that logic and continue to use the interstate.

My point is just because someone's gotten away with doing something doesn't make it a good idea. :)
It doesn't make it a bad idea, either.

For instance, a few years ago, I was driving on the interstate (on the correct side). A drunk was on the wrong side and we met in the middle, each of us going about 70 mph. By your logic, I should stop driving on the interstate because there is clearly a chance that someone could drive on the wrong side and collide with me. I reject that logic and continue to use the interstate.

Hrm... Your example isn't an example of anyone getting away with anything, so it does not apply to my statement. Your suggesting that my logic means you shouldn't use the interstate makes absolutely no logical sense. The two instances are polar opposites, so to try to draw such a conclusion can only be seen as yet another of your poor attempts at discrediting someone's opinions by making up statements or views that are utterly ridiculous and attributing them to your victim.

Since this thread keeps getting resurrected, here are my two cents: I do not believe that used jars or containers from ANY kind of food should EVER be used as geocache containers; it is literally impossible -- regardless of whether the container is made of plastic, glass, metal or cardboard -- to remove all traces of odors of foodstuffs, no matter how hard you try, and thus the container is bound to attract animals which may or will muggle it, thus creating geo-litter. I have seen numerous instances of this in my geocaching travels, with the sole exception of a large once-used cookie tin located in a flood plain along the Snake River near Jackson, WY. This container had, against all odds, been there for years, and the contents were bone try and weirder, the container had never been muggled by animals, despite the fact that we all "know" that you cannot and do not use a cookie tin as a cache container in a floodplain located along a river (i.e., they are hardly waterproof, and usually start to rust within 6 months as well...), much less in an area frequented by lots of wildlife.

Since this thread keeps getting resurrected, here are my two cents: I do not believe that used jars or containers from ANY kind of food should EVER be used as geocache containers; it is literally impossible -- regardless of whether the container is made of plastic, glass, metal or cardboard -- to remove all traces of odors of foodstuffs, no matter how hard you try, and thus the container is bound to attract animals which may or will muggle it, thus creating geo-litter. I have seen numerous instances of this in my geocaching travels, with the sole exception of a large once-used cookie tin located in a flood plain along the Snake River near Jackson, WY. This container had, against all odds, been there for years, and the contents were bone try and weirder, the container had never been muggled by animals, despite the fact that we all "know" that you cannot and do not use a cookie tin as a cache container in a floodplain located along a river (i.e., they are hardly waterproof, and usually start to rust within 6 months as well...), much less in an area frequented by lots of wildlife.

I think that just proves there is no wildlife in the Snake River flood plain. Particularly near Jackson, WY.

:D

MY EYES! MY EYES! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

But seriously folks, haven't y'all beat the crap out of this dead horse?

I can tell you how you can save your eyes and make it stop for you.

STOP CLICKING ON THE DADGUM LINK. If you don't even enter this thread, you won't have to read it, and the folks that are discussing the issue can continue to enjoy the conversation.

:D

Edited by Mushtang
Airlines serve peanuts on their flights; disregarding the "peanut allergy". Guess it's not on their radar.
I've not seem peanuts served on a plane for a few years, we get pretzels instead. Maybe I'm just flying the wrong airlines, 'cuz I miss 'em... :D

I've flown on a dozen Delta flights this year (at least) and have eaten peanuts on every one of them. Which airline doesn't serve them?

ok, i understand that for some of you it's way too difficult to use a different container. fine.

and i totally get that it would be a real hardship for you to toss a one-line warning in the description. also fine.

Is this cache description what you had in mind -- You are seeking a one quart cammo painted plastic jar that has never contained peanut butter.

would it be too inconvenient for you to refrain from making fun of people who care?

Yes, it's too much fun.

nevermind. i know what the answer will be. of course you have a genetic predispostion to laugh at any problems you don't actually have. i hope that as you go through life you have less and less to laugh at.

Since you felt it necessary to post the question even though you knew the answer, I took the liberty of answering it. BTW, I have a predisposition to laugh at problems I have as well.

Hello. My name is Pengie123. I am deadly allergic to Peanuts, nuts, berries, and shelfish and am going to list some facts for the topic.

1. Allergies range on how much people react and are give a number and possible a +. The lowest is 1 the highest is 4+.

2. Allergies are different for different people. Some people can touch things they are deadly allergic to and dont have a problem unless they eat it or get it into their system by rubbing thir eyes, an open cut, etc. Other people like a friend of mine cannot be with in the sameroom as peanuts and all through school we sat in a different room because he cannot breath "Penut" air.

3. I am deadly allegic to peanuts and would be very annoyed if I had to root around in a peanut butter jar to sign the log and take something/leave something.

4. If you have a peanut butter as a snack, get it on your hands, shae someone elses hand (that other person being allergic to peanuts) and they rub their eyes. It is a ticket to the emergency room for them; possibly one way.

5. About 2% of the population in the USA is allergic to peanuts. (That is about 6 million people)

I implore all of you to not use peanut butter jars as geocaches because I love geocacheing but dont want to risk my life doing it.

The thread was just about to die, and your post revived it. Now mine extended it. I think I have found the mechanism that keeps these things going and going. :lol:

So we know what causes this?

5. About 2% of the population in the USA is allergic to peanuts. (That is about 6 million people)

That just doesn't sound right.

I fly a 50-seat jet for a regional airline. We've been serving peanuts to our passengers for most of the seventeen years that I've been with the company. 2% of the population equates to an average (at maximum) of one passenger per 50-seat planeload being seriously allergic to peanuts as you describe. Your statement would therefore lead me to expect that, on average, up to one passsenger per full flight (and most of them are full these days) should have a problem as a result of the peanut bags being opened all over the cabin, a problem that sounds, per your description, like it shoud be serious enough for the pilots up in the front office to hear about it.

In my seventeen years with the airline I have had this happen to me on ZERO of my flights. That's somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 flights (my actual logbook total is way out of date) with no peanut-related troubles EVER having been brought to my attention. Flight attendants are very good about reporting problems in the cabin -- why haven't I heard about this at work? My company is VERY concious of anything that might remotely lead to a complaint or lawsuit from a customer. Why does my airline continue serving peanuts?

I can't conclude that your statistic is wrong, or that it is not quoted from some authoritative source, but it sure doesn't square with my experience.

I fly a 50-seat jet for a regional airline. We've been serving peanuts to our passengers for most of the seventeen years that I've been with the company. 2% of the population equates to an average (at maximum) of one passenger per 50-seat planeload being seriously allergic to peanuts as you describe. Your statement would therefore lead me to expect that, on average, up to one passsenger per full flight (and most of them are full these days) should have a problem as a result of the peanut bags being opened all over the cabin, a problem that sounds, per your description, like it shoud be serious enough for the pilots up in the front office to hear about it.

In my seventeen years with the airline I have had this happen to me on ZERO of my flights. That's somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 flights (my actual logbook total is way out of date) with no peanut-related troubles EVER having been brought to my attention. Flight attendants are very good about reporting problems in the cabin -- why haven't I heard about this at work? My company is VERY concious of anything that might remotely lead to a complaint or lawsuit from a customer. Why does my airline continue serving peanuts?

I can't conclude that your statistic is wrong, or that it is not quoted from some authoritative source, but it sure doesn't square with my experience.

If you notice in their post, they mentioned that there are varying levels of the allergy. Some who cannot be around "peanut air" and some who have to ingest it or get it in their system for it to be a problem. I believe the 2% statistic covers all levels of the allergy, not just the ones who have the extreme sensitivity. In all likely hood, you have had numerous people on your flights that were allergic to peanuts and just didn't know it as they were able to simply abstain from eating them to avoid the reaction. They are the lucky ones.

I've been away on vacation. Good to see the KILLER PEANUT BUTTER JAR thread is still going strong and that the posts are every bit as useful and informative as they were on the first page.

It sounds like you're complaining that the last 9 pages of posts haven't really added anything useful or informative.

And then in the 10 post since you posted the quote above, YOU have posted 4 times, with nothing really useful or informative.

I think we have a prime example of Potkettlitis.

This thread is actually still very informative. Within the past 10 posts we've heard from someone that is "deadly allergic", and an airline pilot, and both have had first hand experience with different levels of this problem.

And I'm still of the opinion that there are so many things in the world that can cause problems for people, that we need to look out for ourselves and not expect other people to look out for us. If you've got a peanut allergy that is life threatening, don't open containers that used to be peanut butter jars. Same thing for people that are allergic to mayonaise, etc. If peanut allergies were the only problems people ever had, of course we'd all be more willing to help those people avoid peanuts. But there are so many potential problems that you can't protect people from themselves, they have to take FULL responsibility.

Also, drive carefully on the way to the cache location. Almost every one of us are at risk of getting killed whenever we drive anywhere.

(edit: posted on accident when trying to preview, and left a bunch off)

Edited by Mushtang

If you notice in their post, they mentioned that there are varying levels of the allergy. Some who cannot be around "peanut air" and some who have to ingest it or get it in their system for it to be a problem. I believe the 2% statistic covers all levels of the allergy, not just the ones who have the extreme sensitivity. In all likely hood, you have had numerous people on your flights that were allergic to peanuts and just didn't know it as they were able to simply abstain from eating them to avoid the reaction. They are the lucky ones.

That leaves roughly 15,000 to 20,000 flights, times roughly 40 to 45 passengers per flight ... somewhere around one million passengers that I have personally hauled into the WBY and back, surrounded by the offending goober tubers, without a peep about peanut problems. None of my coworkers has ever mentioned any first-hand experience either. That amounts to millions of people with apparently no problem any worse that any other common and annoying allergy -- as you describe. That is my direct, first hand experience.

My point is that the 2% number is very misleading because the truly severe reactions, as horrible as they sound, are evidently quite rare.

I've been away on vacation. Good to see the KILLER PEANUT BUTTER JAR thread is still going strong and that the posts are every bit as useful and informative as they were on the first page.

It sounds like you're complaining that the last 9 pages of posts haven't really added anything useful or informative.

uh huh

And then in the 10 post since you posted the quote above, YOU have posted 4 times, with nothing really useful or informative.

uh huh

I think we have a prime example of Potkettlitis.

Yikes! Took me a while to get that one.

This thread is actually still very informative. Within the past 10 posts we've heard from someone that is "deadly allergic", and an airline pilot, and both have had first hand experience with different levels of this problem.

What we haven't had is any evidence that using a peanut butter jar as a container, washed or unwashed, has ever caused any problem to any cacher anywhere, which makes the whole thread pointless other than it's entertainment value.

And I'm still of the opinion that there are so many things in the world that can cause problems for people, that we need to look out for ourselves and not expect other people to look out for us.

Which seems to be the consensus opinion even among sufferers of peanut allergies, and was made by a number of posters on page 1.

If you've got a peanut allergy that is life threatening, don't open containers that used to be peanut butter jars. Same thing for people that are allergic to mayonaise, etc.

If allergy sufferers needed this thread to understand that...

Also, drive carefully on the way to the cache location. Almost every one of us are at risk of getting killed whenever we drive anywhere.

...the biggest risk that cachers face...

Maybe we need to ban driving in the sport? If a vehicle is required to get there make it a 6 Difficulty?

We could add vehicles to the list of items you're not supposed to leave in a cache.