Peanut Butter jars

have you seen warnings on PB caches?
You mean caches that use peanut butter jars as containers? Yes, I believe there is a warning on every PB cache page:

"Please note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer: Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache."

Nice. Way to take the angst out of everything. :ph34r:

ok, i understand that for some of you it's way too difficult to use a different container. fine.

and i totally get that it would be a real hardship for you to toss a one-line warning in the description. also fine.

would it be too inconvenient for you to refrain from making fun of people who care?

nevermind. i know what the answer will be. of course you have a genetic predispostion to laugh at any problems you don't actually have. i hope that as you go through life you have less and less to laugh at.

ok, i understand that for some of you it's way too difficult to use a different container. fine.

and i totally get that it would be a real hardship for you to toss a one-line warning in the description. also fine.

would it be too inconvenient for you to refrain from making fun of people who care?

nevermind. i know what the answer will be. of course you have a genetic predispostion to laugh at any problems you don't actually have. i hope that as you go through life you have less and less to laugh at.

I haven't laughed at anyone who has this allergy. That being said, since I believe that it is quite impossible to have a reaction to a container that has been washed, I don't see the need for special warnings regarding the issue.

If you're referring to me, I have never used peanut butter jars. After reading this thread I probably never will. Can't speak for any other readers of this thread, though -- or any of the thousands of cache hiders who never read the forums, for that matter. Probably best that peanut butter allergy sufferers take responsibility for their own safety and not depend on the rest of the world to do it for them.

The warning is already there. I just quoted it.

Do you think I was making fun? Do you think anyone in this thread was being intentionally cruel for the sake of a dark laugh?

of course you have a genetic predispostion to laugh at any problems you don't actually have. i hope that as you go through life you have less and less to laugh at.

Ooooooh that's cold, man. Waaaay cold. :ph34r:

Edited by KBI

Flask you are totally awesome. Here you moan about people not taking you seriously enough and "making fun" of an issue you feel is important. Seems a bit of a double standard when in another thread you said you were happy to be a cancer to the thread. If you get to be one, shouldn't you be prepared to accept it when other people act as one to you?

Bwmick

Flask you are totally awesome. Here you moan about people not taking you seriously enough and "making fun" of an issue you feel is important. Seems a bit of a double standard when in another thread you said you were happy to be a cancer to the thread. If you get to be one, shouldn't you be prepared to accept it when other people act as one to you?

Bwmick

Not necessarily. Some threads are about much more serious issues than others. Also, some threads get so bogged down in their self-importance that a little foolishness is not such a bad thing. Scratch that. It's a necessary thing. Edited by sbell111

Just something that crossed my mind. How do the people who suffer from these deadly peanut allergies find out about it? Don't they just drop dead the first time they eat a peanut?

Sensitivity allergies have a nasty tendency to worsen with exposure. first time may be hive, 2nd more hives, third difficulty breathing, etc... Most people have a regimen that they follow in order to treat the reaction. something like benedryl followed by epipen followed by hospital ASAP .

And just FYI the epipen is really only effective for 10-15 minutes so if you are going to be far away from medical assistance multiples are required.

bwmick

Yes, exactly. First off, for the record, I actually have a life threatening peanut allergy and I haven't felt made fun of on this thread. At least not for my allergy. Maybe for my low post/find count, but not for the allergy. :( It's a learning process for all on the allergy front.

Anyway, my allergy showed itself after a 3 year abstinence from all peanut & tree nut products (through pregnancy and nursing 2 children). When I began to reintroduce "may contains" into my diet, my tongue would swell and my nose would run. So off to the allergist I went, where I went into anaphylactic shock from the small amount of peanut protein serum needed for the skin testing. I had to get an epinephrine shot right there in the doctor's office, followed by some liquid Zyrtec. That was fun.

Since then, I've had 2 more major reactions. One was when someone gave my son a Reeses cup at a party and he opened it in our closed van. I had a multi-system reaction then, with my first experience of hives as well as wheezing and runny nose. I should've used the Epi-Pen, but was dumb.

My most recent reaction was to a walnut which was put into a salad at a restaurant, despite 4 times of questioning the food prep people about the presence of nuts. One bite and 10 minutes later, I felt like I was drowning in mucus. That was my most terrifying one so far and the first time I injected myself with the Epi-Pen. It took me a good 3-4 days until I felt 100% better after that one and going out to eat is still stressful.

And bwmick is exactly right about the Epi-Pen being just a "window" med. It's meant to give you time to get medical attention. There was someone earlier in the thread who said something like, "Well, if they react in the woods, they have an Epi-Pen, right?" That's not exactly right. The Epi-Pen isn't a guaranteed life saver. It's just supposed to give you 15-20 minutes to get emergency attention.

But at any rate, all this life story of mine is just to give some experience to the general allergy discussion. I still think that it's probably unlikely that someone is going to react from a well-washed PB container. I'm still not sticking my hand in one though! :ph34r:

I have sat back and read over this thread since i posted way back and i sure don't see any reason for you to be taking all this so personally. From what i've read, no one has made fun of anyone and in fact, alot have said that they have learned from this thread. Some have even stated that because of this thread, they probably will never use PB jars for their caches.

But, PB jars can be a viable container at times and there is no reason for anyone to get worked up over their usage. People that have these allergies take precautions. They have to, as there is a good chance they may encounter the allergen at any time. They're definitely gonna be careful when they come across a PBish looking container. :unsure:

why not put your

obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

i'm not sure this is obvious or even true.

You're right. If it were true, I wouldn't be wasting time on this silly thread.

when you're done working for the day, how do you get the tp out from between your teeth?

Floss works best.

I dont thing people from Wisconsin should eat peanut buter

you know, if you want to be an effective troll or even a credible sockpuppet, you're going to have to do a lot better than this.

Sorry, I'm new at this stuff

and i totally get that it would be a real hardship for you to toss a one-line warning in the description. also fine....

We have a limited capacity to take on the worlds problems.

Peanut Butter Allergies are not on my list of concerns.

Breast Cancer, Hereditary Multiple Exotisis, Diabetes, Asthma, Heart disease, Pancreatic Cancer, Smoking. And assorted other allergies (including Bee's and the Epi Pen) are.

When it comes to caring about people beyond friends, family, and acquaintances, the other 6 Billion SomeOdd People get lumped into the human race.

When someone with a peanut allergy hits my circle of concern I'll worry about it. When a local cacher is known to have a peanut allergy, I'll refrain from using Peanut Containers. Not that I do anyway. Peanut Butter Sucks. They should have Cashew Butter.

Edited by Renegade Knight

....But at any rate, all this life story of mine is just to give some experience to the general allergy discussion. I still think that it's probably unlikely that someone is going to react from a well-washed PB container. I'm still not sticking my hand in one though! :unsure:

It's good information. Bee's and Peanuts are the two that I know cause much of a reason. If I had to choose though I'd choose bee's. They don't accidentally drop them in salads and if they do they are sluggish.

Peanut Butter Sucks. They should have Cashew Butter.

they do. obviously you're shopping at the wrong stores.

Well, grease me up and call me slider ... there really IS such a thing!

nsp-mnb092531.jpg

Cashew Butter, where have you been all my life? I need to put that stuff on my grocery list RIGHT NOW! Where's my crayon?

Edited by KBI
I'm slightly puzzled - don't people with serious allergies in the US carry adrenaline (European name) / epinephrine (US name) pens to administer?

The difference is that over here we have a proud and modern 21st century culture in which everyone is a victim and "personal responsibility" is a taboo subject.

I'm slightly puzzled - don't people with serious allergies in the US carry adrenaline (European name) / epinephrine (US name) pens to administer?

Yes, you are totally right about the epinephrine or Epipen as they call it. People that have severe allergic reactions should carry an Epipen, at all times. This thread has generated allot of views and am hoping that it could help a few cachers out who have severe allergies. I have a severe bee sting allergy and am guilty of not always carrying my Epipen with me at all times. If you are miles away from the trailhead and have a reaction and have no meds, you are pretty much hosed. Oral medication such as Benadryl can be taken to reduce some of the symptoms, but it takes an hour to take effect. So if your reaction is severe, you need immediate medication (Epipen-epinephrine) to treat Anaphylaxis.

they do. obviously you're shopping at the wrong stores....

Well hell. Now I'm going to have to find some and try it out.

Take your credit card . . . or extra cash. It's expensive, but not quite as bad as Almond Butter. :unsure:

Take your credit card . . . or extra cash. It's expensive, but not quite as bad as Almond Butter. :unsure:

Aren't people with peanut allegies also allergic to most types of nuts?

i have some other festive allergies that while they won't produce anaphylaxis, will result in some very entertaining and deadly reactions. i do have a couple that will bring on anaphylaxis.

here's one.

i'm what you might call chemically sensitive. if you've ever been sitting somewhere minding your own business and suddenly you have hives on the soles of your feet and in your mouth and emergency personnel are crawling all over you, you know what i mean.

Aren't people with peanut allegies also allergic to most types of nuts?

often they are, although peanuts are not in the same plant class as tree nuts. they're viewed as two different allergies.

somewhere this afternoon i found an article about allergies in which they say that more people die of peanut allergies than from any other allergy. i wish i could remember the source for you.

i don't know why there's an apparent increase in the number of people who have these allergies. maybe they're not dying early, thereby passing on their genes.

Darn that Darwin guy.
I think everyone can say that about some anomaly that they have or will have someday. I never realized how deadly peanut allegies can be. I'm allegic to cats but they just make my eyes itch and my nose clog up like I have cold. Edited by TrailGators
Darn that Darwin guy.
I think everyone can say that about some anomaly that they have or will have someday. I never realized how deadly peanut allegies can be. I'm allegic to cats but they just make my eyes itch and my nose clog up like I have cold.
You completely missed the point of my post. :P

We're new to this sport. We have tons of questions about different things. I was going to start a post and ask them, but then found this post that shows how many people out there have hot tempers, and responses, and now I'm afraid. lol Gosh, I feel like yelling at you all to quit fighting, arguing, being hot-headed, insulting, and being generally rude to other people. Jeez, what is this world coming to? IT'S JUST A SPORT! If you don't like it, or can't do it, THEN DON'T. No body is MAKING you go on a treasure hunt/cache. Why do you have to post all these random comments just to irritate someone else? You must be single, with no friends. No one to argue/talk with in real life. good grief, get a life. Can't we all just get along? I don't think you should be saying things on purpose just to rile someone up. I think you should be a bigger person than that. I like the comment about reminding us all of the disclaimer. Should have just left it at that, and ended this horendous thread. good grief - what a headache some of you can cause! isn't there a word for that......hmmmmm, troublemakers maybe? Let's see who this sets off, and who can be the bigger person, and leave us and our peanut butter jars alone............

It's really scary how many people are allergic to nuts these days. I hear it all the time from my kid's school. I don't remember ever hearing it when I was a kid in school in the 70's & 80's. Is it something recent or something we just didn't know of back then.

If I was allergic, I'd just make sure to use gloves. Many of you have valid points though about coins, tb's and swag being moved from these containers may have gotten the oil on it. But c'mon, wouldn't you at least try to clean out the container really well if you were going to use it as a cache container? I'd throw it in the dishwasher because I'd be afraid that an animal would get it otherwise. Also, others have stated that cachers can get cheap containers elsewhere (ammoboxes, tupperware, etc). Not everyone has unlimited financial resources to purchase these items. Although I haven't yet placed a cache, I love the game because it's cheap. I bought a GPS 1x and use my palm for paperless and all I have to do is hike up into the woods and the game begins.

well, you "seasoned" people are scaring us newbies off. This post/thread was ridiculous. Gosh, I hope these forums or threads, or whatever they're suppose to be called aren't all like this one.

a heated argument never scared me off as a newbie; i saw one and i said "wow! can't wait to jump in!"

you may think i'm a small petty person with too much time on my hands, but in fact i do this for entertainment. i ride bicycles (road and mountain), and i actually take the time to GO geocaching. i also play music and i'm a deacon down at the church. you're right about the single part, but hey. i'm happier single. i have no shortage of friends. my real life world is populated by good stout people who are smart and funny and persistent. they are loyal and i trust them with my life. we are as sharp and critical as we are welcoming and generous.

we are happy people. and we LOVE a good argument.

well, you "seasoned" people are scaring us newbies off. This post/thread was ridiculous. Gosh, I hope these forums or threads, or whatever they're suppose to be called aren't all like this one.

You will not learn a lot about geocaching in the forums. Your best be is to just go out and start finding a bunch of caches. Just start with the easy ones. If you look at the number of cachers there are, then look at the number of forum regulars you will see the very few cachers hang out in the forums. It takes away from geocaching time.

Edit to add.

I think I saw some one mention that a person with a lot of hides must know what he/she is doing when hidding a cache.

This in not the case, the crapiest caches I have found were place by cachers with high hide counts.

It does not take a lot of skill to hide a film can under a lamp post skirt. I know one cache the brags that he has over 200 active hides. I have never found a cache he has hidden that was not a crapy hide.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I've tried it and I say "ptheh". Also ptheh on soynut butter. And on boiled peanuts.

I do like natural peanut butter. I't's very hard to spread, though, especially if you refrigerate it.

Also yummy: peanut soup.

I've tried it and I say "ptheh". Also ptheh on soynut butter. And on boiled peanuts.

I do like natural peanut butter. I't's very hard to spread, though, especially if you refrigerate it.

Also yummy: peanut soup.

:P Chocolate-Hazelnut spread :P
Just curious if you washed the jar in a dishwasher, if that would remove all the peanut residue?

Not in my experience, no. We have used PB jars for a few hides and after washing, we soak them in a bleach/water solution for several hours, then wash again. This method seems to work. We've left them in heavily wooded areas with no issues from the local animal population, so we take that as a sign that our method works well.

Edited by lakedawgs

You will not learn a lot about geocaching in the forums.

i beg to differ. when i was starting out i learned a LOT about geocaching here in the forums. it really advanced my geocaching education. of course, i was able to identify which posts held real information, wich concepts were generally accepted, and which posts were just so much bluster.

Edit to add.

I think I saw some one mention that a person with a lot of hides must know what he/she is doing when hidding a cache.

This in not the case, the crapiest caches I have found were place by cachers with high hide counts.

It does not take a lot of skill to hide a film can under a lamp post skirt. I know one cache the brags that he has over 200 active hides. I have never found a cache he has hidden that was not a crapy hide.

seconded. whenever i see a person with a high hide count (and when did that become a badge of honor?) i invariably think that i'm going to be treated to another yogurt cup stuck under a rock at a pull-off. it's very difficult for me when i meet these people, because the seem to want to be treated with some celebrity over their number of hides. i never know what to say. i, uh, lack a certain degree of diplomacy and all i want to do is make some smart comment about all the trashcache spew.

Just curious if you washed the jar in a dishwasher, if that would remove all the peanut residue?
Not in my experience, no. We have used PB jars for a few hides and after washing, we soak them in a bleach/water solution for several hours, then wash again. This method seems to work. We've left them in heavily wooded areas with no issues from the local animal population, so we take that as a sign that our method works well.
The dishwasher should remove all of the actual peanut butter, but the containers should still be bleached to remove/mask the smell.