Peanut Butter jars

I just think all you PB jar supporters are way to callous. I'm reminded of a tragedy of a national scale, that had a personal impact on me;

My home nation of Whacksmackistan was quite literally wiped from the face of the earth due to an allergic reaction. There was a fellow Whacksmackistani who had an allergy to trigazolicenic acid, a chemical compound utilized in the creation of certain products, including cellulose dinitrate, which is a primary component of 35mm film. This poor soul saw a cacher stuffing something under a lamp post skirt at the Whacksmackistan Wally World, and investigated, finding a film canister. His curiosity got the best of him, and he opened it up, removing the log. The log had trace amounts of trigazolicenic acid on it, since the mean cacher who hid the film canister didn't wash it out, and the poor young man suffered an immediate, violent and fatal allergic reaction. The histamine reaction was so severe that there were new enzymes and proteins formed during his decomposition, creating an airborne virus which resulted in a plague of biblical proportions.

The great scientist Vinny, of Vinny & Sue fame, was hired by the United Nations to come up with a way to stop the spread of this virus. After many months of painstaking research, he determined that the virus, (now called The Film Canister Virus by the media), could only be stopped by contact with dioxidetetrahydrothiofuran, a chemical used in military grade olive drab paint. In a bold move, Vinny surrounded Whacksmackistan with ammo cans, stopping the spread of the virus.

(hence, my sig line)

All that could've been prevented had the cacher picked a more suitable container.

BTW, I know this story is true cuz I read it on the Internet.

Well done, CR! I thoroughly enjoyed that. :laughing:

....I've touched a lot of bullets and haven't ever gone to the hospital....

Me neither but I've always thought that when you add velocity to the bullet touching it causes a worse and worse allergic reaction the faster it goes. The ones I touch have always been just sitting there. It's the high speed bullets that kick in my allergy.

4 Days Later....Lets Recap.

Peanut Butter containers are good.

Peanut Butter containers are bad.

Am I close?

Very close. Add "Soy Butter Containers are best" and your summary is ready to be published.

They may be the best but since clearly nobody ever actually eats Soy Butter (much like christmas fruit cake) to empty out a container to use...we may never know the truth.

Hey people, stop knocking the soynut butter. When you do have a peanut allergy, that stuff is a lifesaver! It's all my family eats because of my allergy. I don't think I'll be saving my containers or it for caches though. :laughing:

I had a good idea for a container today. The plastic tube that my epi-pen comes in would be a perfect micro. I can plant it outside of a peanut butter factory in honor of this thread. :anibad:

Edited by elephantmama

Oh, I think I see now. You feel that the forums are for your entertainment.

I think they are here for my entertainment

I thought the forums are here for helping fellow cachers, learning more about geocaching from other cachers, and bettering the sport/game/hobby.

In some cases that is true but in the case of this thread it's all about the entertainment.

Me neither but I've always thought that when you add velocity to the bullet touching it causes a worse and worse allergic reaction the faster it goes. The ones I touch have always been just sitting there. It's the high speed bullets that kick in my allergy.
Is that really an allergy or is it lead poisoning? :laughing:
BIG container and large mouth!!

I've heard that same thing said about IceCreamMan

hey quit dissing on ICM! He's a great guy but based on the posted comments I think JoeMerchant and Serial Finder are the the one's who sound like jerks.

No offense intended Joe, I'm just saying :laughing:

Still undecided if I mean to offend Serial Finder or not but he's bright enough to read between :anibad: the :anibad: lines :P when he reads this.

On topic - I've found 100's of ICMs "egg jars" and they hold up well in the woods and in the city. He hides them in wonderful locations and fills them with great swag.

Remember Einstein and Relitivity..... even those bulltes were moving along pretty fast......

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astr...rs/970401c.html

On Topic.

I have seen only one PB Jar used as a cache and it was chewed to pieces by some critter and was wet and tucked into a nasty smelling plastic bag.

You can guess my feelings based on that experience....

Edited by StarBrand

That's because the faster a bullet is travelling the more protiens it absorbs from the air. :laughing:

4 Days Later....Lets Recap.

Peanut Butter containers are good.

Peanut Butter containers are bad.

Am I close?

Very close. Add "Soy Butter Containers are best" and your summary is ready to be published.

They may be the best but since clearly nobody ever actually eats Soy Butter (much like christmas fruit cake) to empty out a container to use...we may never know the truth.

Hey people, stop knocking the soynut butter. When you do have a peanut allergy, that stuff is a lifesaver! It's all my family eats because of my allergy. I don't think I'll be saving my containers or it for caches though. :laughing:

I had a good idea for a container today. The plastic tube that my epi-pen comes in would be a perfect micro. I can plant it outside of a peanut butter factory in honor of this thread. :anibad:

My old high school used to serve soy-burgers, to tell the truth I thought they tasted great.

Of course you disagree. That's how you have close to 1400 posts compared to my 60 or so, yet we joined about the same time.

Nope. I have more time here than you. :laughing:

It is also worth noting that i have never posted because of that stupid number to the left. Besides the occasional humorous post i would say most of my posts have substance to them.

I cant understand why that bothers people so much. :anibad:

Its Post envy. Its the only way he can justify his opinion is better than yours because your post to find ratio is wrong in his eyes. If it were the other way around, I'm sure he would come up with a different excuse to butter up his opinion to better than yours.

Not that my opinion counts based on my high post count... which makes mine bigger than yours!

:anibad:

Here in Ontario we have Sabrina's law which directs schools to make sure they take all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of children with allergies. Some adult only workplaces have bans on nuts to (if the allergy sufferer is vocal enough) I have plans to use a pair of PB containers one inside the other. I will make sure that the container type is listed on the cache page just as I would any other perceived hazards that one may experience while finding a cache. I know several people with peanut allergies, I know lots of parents with kids with food allergies. It doesn't mean that the parent doesn't get to eat whatever they want, it just means they have to be selective when and how they eat it.

You cannot protect yourself from everything, especially food type stuff. I noticed today that a local grocery has disinfectant wipes by the grocery cart pick up.

make people aware before they get to the cache site and realize that they don't want to open it.

As to the lingering odor of the container, life's a risk if an animal trashes it I will have to go out and replace it.

Bwmick

Just curious if you washed the jar in a dishwasher, if that would remove all the peanut residue?

Judging from my personal experience with dishwashers failing to remove even visible food particles, I would say absolutely NOT. The only way I would consider any food container safe to be used as a cache would be after a thorough hand washing, and at minimum a rinse in bleach. But then again, I'll spend the $5 on a Lock'n'Lock. I don't want to have to replace the container after the first freeze, or after the sun deteriorates the cheap plastic and it cracks.

As someone who, once upon a time, was an appliance repairman I can tell you that, if your dishwasher doesn't remove visible food particles then you are either loading it wrong, failing to do basic pre-load rinsing, or it is a total POS and needs to be repaired or replaced. I've never seen a dishwasher that didn't remove visible food if the user did things properly except when the pump was bad.

Edited by Thrak
On topic - I've found 100's of ICMs "egg jars" and they hold up well in the woods and in the city. He hides them in wonderful locations and fills them with great swag.

Yeah sure. But that's just first hand experience. How many times have you posted about them? That's the key to true knowledge.

I just think all you PB jar supporters are way to callous. I'm reminded of a tragedy of a national scale, that had a personal impact on me;

My home nation of Whacksmackistan was quite literally wiped from the face of the earth due to an allergic reaction. There was a fellow Whacksmackistani who had an allergy to trigazolicenic acid, a chemical compound utilized in the creation of certain products, including cellulose dinitrate, which is a primary component of 35mm film. This poor soul saw a cacher stuffing something under a lamp post skirt at the Whacksmackistan Wally World, and investigated, finding a film canister. His curiosity got the best of him, and he opened it up, removing the log. The log had trace amounts of trigazolicenic acid on it, since the mean cacher who hid the film canister didn't wash it out, and the poor young man suffered an immediate, violent and fatal allergic reaction. The histamine reaction was so severe that there were new enzymes and proteins formed during his decomposition, creating an airborne virus which resulted in a plague of biblical proportions.

The great scientist Vinny, of Vinny & Sue fame, was hired by the United Nations to come up with a way to stop the spread of this virus. After many months of painstaking research, he determined that the virus, (now called The Film Canister Virus by the media), could only be stopped by contact with dioxidetetrahydrothiofuran, a chemical used in military grade olive drab paint. In a bold move, Vinny surrounded Whacksmackistan with ammo cans, stopping the spread of the virus.

(hence, my sig line)

All that could've been prevented had the cacher picked a more suitable container.

Aw come on... you just made that up.

hey quit dissing on ICM! He's a great guy but based on the posted comments I think JoeMerchant and Serial Finder are the the one's who sound like jerks.

Still undecided if I mean to offend Serial Finder or not but he's bright enough to read between :anibad: the :anibad: lines :P when he reads this.

Thanks for the support Clan.

Joe, if you don't watch your step, my next post will be about "The Dames Point Incident".

(hence, my sig line)

No, actually it's quite true. I'm a former (and now dead) Whacksmackistanian so I know.

Of course you disagree. That's how you have close to 1400 posts compared to my 60 or so, yet we joined about the same time.

It is also worth noting that i have never posted because of that stupid number to the left. Besides the occasional humorous post i would say most of my posts have substance to them.

Its Post envy. Its the only way he can justify his opinion is better than yours because your post to find ratio is wrong in his eyes. If it were the other way around, I'm sure he would come up with a different excuse to butter up his opinion to better than yours.

Not that my opinion counts based on my high post count... which makes mine bigger than yours!

That's it. Post envy. Because posting is obviously more fun than caching. Not to mention that what we are talking about here is so important that actually I care whether people value my opinion about it.

Edited by IceCreamMan

That's it. Post envy. Because posting is obviously more fun than caching. Not to mention that what we are talking about here is so important that actually I care whether people value my opinion about it.

Whenever you and others mention the post to find ratio against those with high post counts, you are silently sayhing the high posters don't care if their opinion is valued. It's a prejudiced point and disrespectfully insults anybody and everybody with a posting ratio higher than yours or others of the same ilk opinion. Frankly I'm tired of seeing THAT kind of argument which is rife through this thread and serves no valid purpose towards the actual debate of containers but only serves to insult the participant.

IMO, an insult is against the TOS and when enough of it was done, it used to get people and threads shutdown in these forums. It makes me wonder why TPTB has put up with so much of it in such a short amount of time without banning those still doing it.

Man up and try debating without that jab. You'll gain more respect.

why not put your

obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

i'm not sure this is obvious or even true.

You're right. If it were true, I wouldn't be wasting time on this silly thread.

How could you call this obvious educational experience a "silly thread". All posts about PBJ's are serious :laughing:

Thanks for the support Clan.

Joe, if you don't watch your step, my next post will be about "The Dames Point Incident".

DOH!

why not put your

obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

when you're done working for the day, how do you get the tp out from between your teeth?

Whenever you and others mention the post to find ratio against those with high post counts, you are silently sayhing the high posters don't care if their opinion is valued.

Not really sure I've been saying that. If fact, since folks seem to get so hyped up when post to find ratio is mentioned, I can only assume they care deeply whether their opinion is valued. I was more questioning whether their opinions are valuable. At least in comparison to people who have actually experience as the basis of their posts. It's been common in this thread, and other treads I've pained myself to read, for folks with high post counts to make pronouncements and claims unsupported by even anecdotal experience. At least not that they manage to state in their posts.

For example, I'm sure there are cachers out their who regularly cache in Northeast Florida and never log their finds, but I doubt any of them are the people slamming Jax in this thread. On the other hand, most of the people I know who've done any amount of caching in NE Florida are positive about it. (Some of them even have high post counts). It's been pretty much the same trend on the posts about Killer PB Jars.

It's a prejudiced point and disrespectfully insults anybody and everybody with a posting ratio higher than yours or others of the same ilk opinion. Frankly I'm tired of seeing THAT kind of argument which is rife through this thread and serves no valid purpose towards the actual debate of containers but only serves to insult the participant.

I'd say insult is a bit strong, but I guess it's in the eye of the insultee. If observing that people with high post to find ratios post relentlessly on topics they know little or nothing about is an insult, I'd say... hmmm ... well ... perhaps it is an insult. At least if it isn't true. I provide this thread as evidence and leave the reader to form his own opinion.

IMO, an insult is against the TOS and when enough of it was done, it used to get people and threads shutdown in these forums. It makes me wonder why TPTB has put up with so much of it in such a short amount of time without banning those still doing it.

If my observations have been enough to get someone the boot, this place would be a ghost town. I've been told I want allergic people to be home bound and die, that my caches are disposable geo-litter, that my containers are substandard and disreputable, that the area I live in has crappy caches and that my intelligence is in question. All by people who don't know me and have never met me (except for Joe), have never found one of my caches and have probably never even been to Northeast Florida. Water off a ducks back as far as I'm concerned but if we're gonna get righteous here, how 'bout we send a little of the indignation my way.

Because, hey, I really care about that.

BTW, fine display of rhetoric.

why not put your

when you're done working for the day, how do you get the tp out from between your teeth?

Floss works best.

Oh, I think I see now. You feel that the forums are for your entertainment.

I think they are here for my entertainment

I thought the forums are here for helping fellow cachers, learning more about geocaching from other cachers, and bettering the sport/game/hobby.

In some cases that is true but in the case of this thread it's all about the entertainment.

I know I've been entertained.

I went to the food store with my mom today and peanut buter jars cost a lots of money. I think it is cheaper to use empty peanut buter jars that are laying around the house. maybe that's why the ice cream guy uses ones he gets for free since it saves him money. why is he called the ice cream guy if he uses peanut buter jars?

(hence, my sig line)

Actually, I read that on the internet, also. Yesterday.
Whenever you and others mention the post to find ratio against those with high post counts, you are silently sayhing the high posters don't care if their opinion is valued.

Not really sure I've been saying that.

Implied by a simple statement you made...

So... sarcasm? Or did you mean it you wanted your opinion to have value amongst your peers? In which case, you disparaged the high posters. You can't make a statement like that and not be in support of disparaging a specific group of people.

Which comes to my second point. If you really want people to value your opinion, they must first respect you.

Because, hey, I really care about that.

Sarcasm? If so, then your previous post was sarcasm and you're doing nothing here in this thread but stirring the pot. Or, you really meant your first post, in which you'll need to agree that you need to have respect among your peers if your opinion is to have any value.

Based on your level of sarcasm in your posts, you obviously missed my point. My previous and current posts are not rhetorical. They are a challenge to not be disparaging by direct or indirect statements when getting your point across. I'll rephrase my previous and put it to all who want to think their opinion is more important than the other by making jabs at post to find ratios... try debating without those direct or implied jabs. You'll gain more respect when you try to get your point across to the peers that oppose you.

-=-=edited to fix quotes=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

On Topic.

I have seen only one PB Jar used as a cache and it was chewed to pieces by some critter and was wet and tucked into a nasty smelling plastic bag.

I found a ammo can that was half full of liquid that turned out to be waste products of a human animal - should that affect my feelings about ammo cans based on that experience....

On Topic.

I found a ammo can that was half full of liquid that turned out to be waste products of a human animal - should that affect my feelings about ammo cans based on that experience....

I found this cache where the same thing had happened, and it wasn't an ammo box or a PB jar. So, if I apply the same logic...then we can safely say that all PB jars, ammo boxes, and tupperwares are unsuitable for caches.

That leaves LPC's.

Yippee.

:rolleyes:

On Topic.

I found this cache where the same thing had happened, and it wasn't an ammo box or a PB jar. So, if I apply the same logic...then we can safely say that all PB jars, ammo boxes, and tupperwares are unsuitable for caches.

That leaves LPC's.

Yippee.

:rolleyes:

And, I found this Tupperware/Rubbermaid container full of . . . well, I won't mention it. :rolleyes:

I have found several PB jars that have not suffered that sort of fate. I have never used a PB jar for a cache container however, and never will. I don't eat Peanut Butter. :unsure:

On Topic.

Of course it should. But so should every ammo can you found that was just fine.

why not put your

Floss works best.

I dont thing people from Wisconsin should eat peanut buter

5 Days and going strong...

***I dont thing people from Wisconsin should eat peanut buter***

I'm in Madison, WI and eat Peanut Butter by the TableSpoonfull...just so I don't waste any time putting it on a piece of bread...that rips apart when spreading it on.

Nuts..No Nuts...Chunky...Smooth...With / Without oil...Cholestrol, Transfat...you name it....the cheapest...out of date or whatever is on sale at the time.

And....

When there is not enough Peanut Butter left to put on a spoon, I lick the container clean...drop in a LogBook, TB and place the cache.

(IT IS A JOKE PEOPLE - DON'T WASTE 5 MORE DAYS COMPLAINING TO ME)

why not put your

Floss works best.

I dont thing people from Wisconsin should eat peanut buter

you know, if you want to be an effective troll or even a credible sockpuppet, you're going to have to do a lot better than this.

well, no. critter chewing must be seen as a natural risk of containers that either bear scent or match a container type that the critters have learned may contain food. additionally, the container is of insufficient strength to stand up to little chewers. the human waste is clearly an intentional act requiring opposable thumbs. an ammocan would hold up well to chewing, but no container is safe from malcontents and pranksters.

incidentally, i used to eat peanut butter by the spoonful at work until the peanut ban came down. it has inconvenienced me, but it means that one person's life is a little easier. i don't mind.

oh, and i almost forgot!

maybe it's a function of geography, but i have rarely found a peanut butter jar cache that was in good condition. i also find that they don't hold good trade items very well. they won't take a cd or dvd or a book, and unless you use the REALLY BIG JAR, it's difficult to drag all the stuff out and cram it back in. result? i don't trade at pb jars very often.

i prefer caches where i can leave good swag. handmade kaleidoscopes. very nice bike clothing. a little something from tiffany's, still in the blue box. trinkets from the smithsonian catalog. reasonably nice jewelry that belonged to my grandmother.

have you seen warnings on PB caches?

i have. just one sentence. very unobrtrusive. it appeared to me that the particular area may have had a cacher or cachers with a sensitivity, since i saw the warning more than once.

i thought it was goofy at the time, until i learned more about it.

Edited by flask

I've been considering adding some kind of warning to all my caches, but I haven't decided on the verbage yet. Someting like:

"Danger! This cache container may have once contained items which were in close proximity to other items which may or may not have been near peanuts! Proceed at your own risk!"

Just something that crossed my mind. How do the people who suffer from these deadly peanut allergies find out about it? Don't they just drop dead the first time they eat a peanut?

Sensitivity allergies have a nasty tendency to worsen with exposure. first time may be hive, 2nd more hives, third difficulty breathing, etc... Most people have a regimen that they follow in order to treat the reaction. something like benedryl followed by epipen followed by hospital ASAP .

And just FYI the epipen is really only effective for 10-15 minutes so if you are going to be far away from medical assistance multiples are required.

bwmick

You mean caches that use peanut butter jars as containers? Yes, I believe there is a warning on every PB cache page:

"Please note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer: Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache."