Peanut Butter jars

• Most companies pick packaging that will last for a reasonable duration on a kitchen shelf. Not crammed under a rock in the woods in the dead of winter, so I find it hard to believe that a peanut butter jar can be called a workable cache container. In fact, I can think of 3 or 4 caches that I have found in my "limited experience" that were food containers at best with damp contents, and at worst with floating logbooks. Come to think of it, this means that the "good idea/bad idea" ratio is leaning pretty hard to "bad" in my book.
  • It seems to me that the amount of energy required to get the food smells out of any container that once held food would be better spent getting a better container.
  • Along the same lines of getting the residue out: Is it really worth it to use a container that contained a substance that is known to cause anaphylactic shock in many young children for a game that young children are known to play?
  • Back to expended energy: ICM, instead of defending your dead horse, why not put your obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

I honestly don't understand why you think that lots of posts equates to limited knowledge. Please, please explain that one.
His implication is, I believe, that some people are willing to post just for the sake of being heard, whether they are wrong or right. I believe he is correct here, but it seems that, in this case, he's pointing a finger that should be directed at him. :unsure:

You don't have to find too many pill bottles to know they aren't water tight (unless your in AZ or NM), but how does finding a cache tell you whether the sun will make it brittle in a year?

Hmm... My pill bottle cache has been out for two and a half years, and never a complaint about it being wet. Sometimes, it depends where and how you hide it....

We have a winner! A bad container in one circumstance is a good one in another.

I honestly don't understand why you think that lots of posts equates to limited knowledge. Please, please explain that one.
His implication is, I believe, that some people are willing to post just for the sake of being heard, whether they are wrong or right. I believe he is correct here, but it seems that, in this case, he's pointing a finger that should be directed at him. :unsure:
I think he is missing out on the fact that the forums are a social experience. Many of my posts are an attempt at levity and certainly only made 'for the sake of being heard'. Others are an attempt to communicate a specific point of view. Certainly, these also were made for the sake of having my position heard, which, I guess, could be said to be 'for the sake of being heard'.
  • Most companies pick packaging that will last for a reasonable duration on a kitchen shelf. Not crammed under a rock in the woods in the dead of winter, so I find it hard to believe that a peanut butter jar can be called a workable cache container. In fact, I can think of 3 or 4 caches that I have found in my "limited experience" that were food containers at best with damp contents, and at worst with floating logbooks. Come to think of it, this means that the "good idea/bad idea" ratio is leaning pretty hard to "bad" in my book.
  • It seems to me that the amount of energy required to get the food smells out of any container that once held food would be better spent getting a better container.
  • Along the same lines of getting the residue out: Is it really worth it to use a container that contained a substance that is known to cause anaphylactic shock in many young children for a game that young children are known to play?
  • Back to expended energy: ICM, instead of defending your dead horse, why not put your obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

(unlurk)

Please show me where he ever stated that he used peanut butter jars. He just defended them as a viable option.

(back to lurking)

(unlurk)

Please show me where he ever stated that he used peanut butter jars. He just defended them as a viable option.

(back to lurking)

(unlurk)

DOH :unsure:

(lurk)

(unlurk)

(back to lurking)

Umm... where did I say he did use PB jars? I suggested he put his talents toward coming up with better containers rather than defending ones with potential problems. Seems reasonable to me. :unsure:

(unlurk)

(back to lurking)

(unlurk)

DOH :unsure:

(lurk)

Why should he solve the problems of others? Was he appointed keeper of all who are allergic to peanuts? Why can't the person who has the problem be responsible for their own self? Which btw was his original argument. Florida is full of snakes, six species of which are venomous. Snakes like to hide under objects on the ground. Should all caches in Florida be required to be hidden off the ground to remove the possibility of a snake being under it and potentially killing the cacher that unwittingly disturbs it when they pick up the cache?

My youngest daughter's best friend is deathly allergic to peanuts. She at age 6 knows what is safe and what isn't, why do most seem to think an adult doesn't know how to?

First, I still want to know where I said he did use PB jars.
My youngest daughter's best friend is deathly allergic to peanuts. She at age 6 knows what is safe and what isn't, why do most seem to think an adult doesn't know how to?
Second, I bet your daughter's best friend's mother would have a different attitude about this than you.
First, I still want to know where I said he did use PB jars.
Second, I bet your daughter's best friend's mother would have a different attitude about this than you.

Back to expended energy: ICM, instead of defending your dead horse, why not put your obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

Fine, I will admit you didn't state he hid pb&j containers.

Now you tell me why is it his responsibility to "find a better container".

And as far as my daughters friend... she didn't have a problem with the kindergarten class having pb&j in the classroom at lunchtime. They just kept her table peanut free. 6 kids total at her table. If any of them wanted/brought peanut butter they would simply eat at another table and wash their hands after. So no I doubt she would have a problem with someone hiding a container in the woods that previously contained peanut butter. Her daughter would know NOT to open it. And if by some slim chance she did come into contact with peanut butter she has her epi pen and she and the adults she is with knows how to use it. Yes we are taught how before she was allowed to go off with us. You see we are responsible not the rest of the world.

• <snip>

He has! His containers at one time contained boiled eggs. One of the larger supermarkets here in Florida uses these plastic 1 quart clear containers to send hard boiled eggs to their stores. It just so happens that a member of his family works there and gets these containers for free and they actually work quite well here in our neck of the woods.

ICM, instead of defending your dead horse, why not put your obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

Unless I've missed the gist of his posts, ICM's contention is that the containers he's using, (which he's repeatedly stated are egg containers, not PB containers), have been proven over time to be satisfactory. Having found several of them myself, I can attest to their durability in multiple environments. I also believe he's further contending that many of the folks vilifying his container selection haven't actually found any of the containers they are bemoaning.

If you found a container that was reliable at protecting its contents, accepted whole heartedly in your community, and free, why would you even consider using something else?

First you tell me where I said it was his responsibility. I said that energies spent defending PB Jars would be better spent finding a better container. If I had said his energies would be better spent learning how to fold a hospital corner on his bed you wouldn't be accusing me of shackling him with responsibility. Perhaps you'd accuse me of being off topic, so I stand by my suggestion.
  • <snip>

He has! His containers at one time contained boiled eggs. One of the larger supermarkets here in Florida uses these plastic 1 quart clear containers to send hard boiled eggs to their stores. It just so happens that a member of his family works there and gets these containers for free and they actually work quite well here in our neck of the woods.
Heh... yes, indeed he has come up with an alternative. I'm feeling it is a dubious one at best...

Ever deal with a jar of eggs? Phew! What a stench! Edited by Too Tall John
First you tell me where I said it was his responsibility. I said that energies spent defending PB Jars would be better spent finding a better container. If I had said his energies would be better spent learning how to fold a hospital corner on his bed you wouldn't be accusing me of shackling him with responsibility. Perhaps you'd accuse me of being off topic, so I stand by my suggestion.
  • <snip>

Heh... yes, indeed he has come up with an alternative. I'm feeling it is a dubious one at best...

Ever deal with a jar of eggs? Phew! What a stench!

# Back to expended energy: ICM, instead of defending your dead horse, why not put your obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

Again why should he... which btw he has already. Quit trying to split hairs and answer the question!

...# Back to expended energy: ICM, instead of defending your dead horse, why not put your obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

Again why should he... which btw he has already. Quit trying to split hairs and answer the question!

Here is a question for you. Why does he have to be a jerk about making his point? You may ask why he shouldn't be a jerk and I'll tell you. So that more people will listen to him when he takes time on a rare forum appearance to make a post because for whatever reason he felt it important to do so. I happen to agree with his overall take, just not his approach in belittling people with no actual basis.

To answer your question. You get snarky comments like that when you start out insulting everyone and making demeaning and self serving comments to begin with. In other words, the question was mostly rhetorical and really a way of saying "why don't you use your brain for truth, justice and the power of good instead of being rather jerky in what you post". But that's only my interpretation. TTJ may have another one since he wrote it.

Everyone seems to be concentrating on other parts of his post, while I noticed this slipped in:

From all my reading, it is a fairly rare allergy - just well publicized - so how does that equal "many".

...# Back to expended energy: ICM, instead of defending your dead horse, why not put your obviously intelligent mind to figuring out a better container than a peanut butter jar?

Here is a question for you. Why does he have to be a jerk about making his point? You may ask why he shouldn't be a jerk and I'll tell you. So that more people will listen to him when he takes time on a rare forum appearance to make a post because for whatever reason he felt it important to do so. I happen to agree with his overall take, just not his approach in belittling people with no actual basis.

I don't presume to know the mind of another. Therefore, I cannot answer that question. Why don't you pose it to him directly?

...I don't presume to know the mind of another. Therefore, I cannot answer that question. Why don't you pose it to him directly?

That is a very good answer.

As it happens, I strongly and directly suggested that he practice posting more so he doesn't say things that cost him his credibility in spite of his high number of hides.

Here is a question for you. Why does he have to be a jerk about making his point?

I'm looking at ICM's first post to this thread, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2964163 and I'm not seeing any jerkiness in there. What I do see is someone offering their honest thoughts on a particulat subject. Seems like the snarkiness started about the same time as the hand wringing, uninformed container critiques and uninformed geographic location critiques. ;)

Hmm. resonable duration - isn't peanut butter jars usually used in emergency hurricane kits...I figure they really made peanut butter jars to last and protect whatever is inside.

As far as expended energy, If we have to talk to each other like lawyers around here, maybe using "your" was the indication that you were assigning the blame to someone else. Maybe we should have said "instead of defending a dead horse"...etc.

Do you have any suggestions yourself of containers that are free, watertight, and can last (other than the obvious, ammo cans, lock and locks (which I cant find at the dollar stores cause all the other cachers and gramas and scrapbook makers buy them all up! ))..etc..???

I for one applaud geocaching.com for realizing each persons responsibility for themselves. ;)

I like the size and durability of the PB jar just fine. I solved the residue/food smell issue by purchasing a PB SIZED jar from the local grocery store that contained canning salts. No residue or odor whatsoever. Poured out the contents, covered the jar in camo duct tape, good to go. Plus the canning salt only cost 99 cents, cheaper than the sandwich style containers and IMO much more durable.

I do have a couple other hides in ammo cans, but the one I used the jar for is in a high traffic area and frankly I didn't want to invest much in a cache that likely wont last long. I feel this was a perfect fit in this instance.

His implication is, I believe, that some people are willing to post just for the sake of being heard, whether they are wrong or right.

Bingo! Give that man a cigar!

I believe he is correct here, but it seems that, in this case, he's pointing a finger that should be directed at him.

Perhaps. Since I think the hole allergy thing is a bit silly, and I already know the containers I use work well, and I don't really give a rats butt what people with ten million posts and six hides "think" about them, my posts would seem to a casual observer as pointless. But then my real audience is the cachers who are getting a great chuckle out of this thread, the caricatures posting here and that it keeps going and going and going and going...

lol

His implication is, I believe, that some people are willing to post just for the sake of being heard, whether they are wrong or right.

Bingo! Give that man a cigar!

If everything was clear cut right and wrong what would be the purpose of the forums?

I believe he is correct here, but it seems that, in this case, he's pointing a finger that should be directed at him.

Perhaps. Since I think the hole allergy thing is a bit silly, and I already know the containers I use work well, and I don't really give a rats butt what people with ten million posts and six hides "think" about them, my posts would seem to a casual observer as pointless. But then my real audience is the cachers who are getting a great chuckle out of this thread, the caricatures posting here and that it keeps going and going and going and going...

lol

Oh, I think I see now. You feel that the forums are for your entertainment. I thought the forums are here for helping fellow cachers, learning more about geocaching from other cachers, and bettering the sport/game/hobby.

I thought the forums are here for helping fellow cachers, learning more about geocaching from other cachers, and bettering the sport/game/hobby.

I'm guessing that was the theory.

Oh, I think I see now. You feel that the forums are for your entertainment.

That may not be what they are for, but when the bananas get soft you make banana bread.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Sorry to interrupt the petty bickering and bring this thread back to the original point...

I agree with the posters that express sympathy, but not to the point of interfering with everyone's freedom to do their own thing.

The school I teach in stopped selling latex balloons when we had a student with a latex allergy in the school - they also told us to stop doing a lab that involves latex rubber. So for four years, we adjusted several things in our school. I understand the balloons. I also understand the latex restriction on chemistry labs, but only during the year when the student was in that class or those rooms.

I believe we need to make allowances for people with medical conditions. I do not believe we need to adjust the entire world for one person's specific issues or problems. As some posters stated, people have to be responsible for their own lives, health, and safety. As much as I disagree with smoking, stopping everyone from smoking interferes with their rights. However, allowing them to smoke in places where I am required to go is interfering with my rights to breathe clean air. I don't know if there is one good answer... but I think that stopping people from using peanut butter jars simply because some people have a peanut allergy is silly. As some posters said, some people are allergic to almost anything - so we'd better stop the hobby to protect them from injuries - only use hypoallergenic containers which repel snakes, spiders, and all forms of possibly dangerous life, and are padded on all edges, and are only in flat, completely obstacle free areas, etc... see where this is going?

Life is dangerous... I just hunted several caches in the last week that required walking or nearly crawling through storm sewers. I chose to do it, and as a responsible citizen, would have chosen to accept any injuries I acquired as a result of my choices. Other people need to start doing the same and become responsible for their choices - that is what is lacking in this world - too much victim mentality, too little self-responsibility.

Edited by FireRef
His implication is, I believe, that some people are willing to post just for the sake of being heard, whether they are wrong or right. I believe he is correct here, but it seems that, in this case, he's pointing a finger that should be directed at him. ;)
I think he is missing out on the fact that the forums are a social experience. Many of my posts are an attempt at levity and certainly only made 'for the sake of being heard'. Others are an attempt to communicate a specific point of view. Certainly, these also were made for the sake of having my position heard, which, I guess, could be said to be 'for the sake of being heard'.

My neighbor says something like that about his dog humping my leg.

<snip>

The school I teach in stopped selling latex balloons when we had a student with a latex allergy in the school - they also told us to stop doing a lab that involves latex rubber. So for four years, we adjusted several things in our school. I understand the balloons. I also understand the latex restriction on chemistry labs, but only during the year when the student was in that class or those rooms.

<snip>

There is one big difference with what you have said here. Student are REQUIRED to goto school. There is no way around it. Caching is VOLUNTARY, you don't have to find every cache out there. You can choose which caches to avoid.

There is something that struck me about this post that I neglected to comment on.

First, I seriously doubt that any pb jars have ever been placed as geocaches without being washed. If they have been washed, there will be no peanut proteins present to be allergic to. (Therefore, this entire thread is somewhat silly.)

Also, I don't think we want to go down the road of banning containers that once held something that could be dangerous. (Can anyone tell me what the overwhelming majority of forum posters believe to be the best full-size geocache container? What did that container use to hold?)

Also, I don't think we want to go down the road of banning containers that once held something that could be dangerous. (Can anyone tell me what the overwhelming majority of forum posters believe to be the best full-size geocache container? What did that container use to hold?)

Aww, c'mon now. You know that's not the point. The point of the OP is that handling peanuts for some people can be deadly. Touching a bullet is not deadly, unless you touch that bullet traveling at 1200 fps muzzle velocity.

But, the point of the OP is lost anyway, since the chance of a cacher dying from handling unwashed PB jars while caching is probably astronimically less than the odds of them dying in a car accident on the way to the cache. It's a moot point. Ain't gonna happen.

Probably not, anyways...right?

There is something that struck me about this post that I neglected to comment on.

First, I seriously doubt that any pb jars have ever been placed as geocaches without being washed. If they have been washed, there will be no peanut proteins present to be allergic to. (Therefore, this entire thread is somewhat silly.)

I've touched a lot of bullets and haven't ever gone to the hospital. Maybe they wash out the bullet proteins before using ammo cans for containers? ;):o

I still say that IF you have an allergy to peanuts, and you willingly reach into a PB jar, you know what you're risking, and the risk is all yours. The hider of the cache doesn't HAVE to make sure his cache is 100% risk free to 100% of all finders. And no finder HAS to find 100% of all the caches in his area. If I had a peanut allergy I'd avoid those containers just in case.

But, the point of the OP is lost anyway, since the chance of a cacher dying from handling unwashed PB jars while caching is probably astronimically less than the odds of them dying in a car accident on the way to the cache.

Agreed. And this is what the handsome young man was saying waaaaay back in post #4. ;)

But, the point of the OP is lost anyway, since the chance of a cacher dying from handling unwashed PB jars while caching is probably astronimically less than the odds of them dying in a car accident on the way to the cache.

Agreed. And this is what the handsome young man was saying waaaaay back in post #4. ;)

You must be thinking of a different post. Mushtang posted #4.

:o

I just think all you PB jar supporters are way to callous. I'm reminded of a tragedy of a national scale, that had a personal impact on me;

My home nation of Whacksmackistan was quite literally wiped from the face of the earth due to an allergic reaction. There was a fellow Whacksmackistani who had an allergy to trigazolicenic acid, a chemical compound utilized in the creation of certain products, including cellulose dinitrate, which is a primary component of 35mm film. This poor soul saw a cacher stuffing something under a lamp post skirt at the Whacksmackistan Wally World, and investigated, finding a film canister. His curiosity got the best of him, and he opened it up, removing the log. The log had trace amounts of trigazolicenic acid on it, since the mean cacher who hid the film canister didn't wash it out, and the poor young man suffered an immediate, violent and fatal allergic reaction. The histamine reaction was so severe that there were new enzymes and proteins formed during his decomposition, creating an airborne virus which resulted in a plague of biblical proportions.

The great scientist Vinny, of Vinny & Sue fame, was hired by the United Nations to come up with a way to stop the spread of this virus. After many months of painstaking research, he determined that the virus, (now called The Film Canister Virus by the media), could only be stopped by contact with dioxidetetrahydrothiofuran, a chemical used in military grade olive drab paint. In a bold move, Vinny surrounded Whacksmackistan with ammo cans, stopping the spread of the virus.

(hence, my sig line)

All that could've been prevented had the cacher picked a more suitable container.

BTW, I know this story is true cuz I read it on the Internet.

Edited by Clan Riffster

There is something that struck me about this post that I neglected to comment on...

...Also, I don't think we want to go down the road of banning containers that once held something that could be dangerous. (Can anyone tell me what the overwhelming majority of forum posters believe to be the best full-size geocache container? What did that container use to hold?)

"Now, my 2 year old caching kid sometimes lacks this kind of judgement, so I expect all cache owners to anticipate his peanut allergy and place caches accordingly. ;)

Alright, that was sarcasm. As a parent, it is my responsibility to look out for these circumstances and make that judgement call. I know, a parent excercising responsibility for their children can be appalling to some folks. If I see a container that seems to be very obviously peanut related, then I can explain that to the little one (he's quite keen on the allergy being life-threatening, and until he's probably 3 or 4, will willingly comply with avoidance of items deemed such), or abort the hunt. Again, MY responsibility kicks in here.

Oh, yeah, and in the event of something overlooked - as Mule Ears mentioned, the epi-pen in the backpack is a back-up plan to good judgement."

4 Days Later....Lets Recap.

Peanut Butter containers are good.

Peanut Butter containers are bad.

Am I close?

Very close. Add "Soy Butter Containers are best" and your summary is ready to be published.
I don't know. I'm not sure if we want to expose geocachers to the dangers of soy:
Soy is one of eight foods responsible for the majority of food allergies, and one of five foods most commonly associated with food allergies in children. People with a soy allergy can suffer everything from hives and diarrhea to breathing difficulties upon eating this food. Furthermore. just as some people have lactose intolerance, there are others who have soy intolerance. (While food allergies involve the immune system, food intolerance is caused by an enzyme deficiency).

… there is increasing concern that eating large amounts of soy can affect thyroid function. Particularly worrisome is the presence of phytoestrogens in soy-based infant formulas (isoflavones are a category of phytoestrogen). Critics point out that the level of phytoestrogens in soy-based formula is over 20,000 times that found in breast milk. In a press release last June, the Canadian Health Coalition stated that consumption of soy formulas could lead to a host of health problems, including thyroid dysfunction. They called on federal Health Minister Allan Rock to impose restrictions on the use of soy-based infant formulas... Meanwhile, a groundbreaking study by the Pacific Health Research Institute links high levels of tofu consumption with cognitive impairment and the development of Alzheimer's disease in later life.

Edited by sbell111

I am sure a lot of people reading this thread when they think of a peanut allergy killing someone they think of the initial reports that were made on the death of a Canadian girl. Someone jumped the gun and thought they had put two and two together when they tried to connect the girls death to her peanut allergy and fact that her boy friend had a peanut butter sandwich hours before the kiss. The coroner quickly tried to get the word out that he had ruled out her peanut allergy as the cause of death. Unfortunately there were two things working against him. First the original story killer peanut butter kiss story was already making front page news and second the his correction didn't have the sensationalism needed to make the front page. So people that saw the story about the killer peanut butter kiss never saw the story that saying that it wasn't true. What caused her death? According to the coroner her death was caused by an asthma attack. You don't have to take my word for it. You can read about it for yourself in Allergic Living a premier, well respected and professional publication on allergies. If you already know the girls story from the news and want to ready only the update scroll to the very bottom and look for UPDATE: Desforges Death Ruled Asthma.

Someone jumped the gun and thought they had put two and two together when they tried to connect the girls death to her peanut allergy and fact that her boy friend had a peanut butter sandwich hours before the kiss.

This is so typical of the news media, they are in such a rush to get the story out first that they do not bother to research the facts of a story. Why let the facts get in the way.

As I said earlier, I have used peanut butter containers in the past and I will use them in the future.

4 Days Later....Lets Recap.

Peanut Butter containers are good.

Peanut Butter containers are bad.

Am I close?

Very close. Add "Soy Butter Containers are best" and your summary is ready to be published.

They may be the best but since clearly nobody ever actually eats Soy Butter (much like christmas fruit cake) to empty out a container to use...we may never know the truth.