FTF "prizes"

Just wondering if anyone is disappointed to be the FTF and see that there is no "prize" inside. Personally, I've had a few FTF's with items inside but have never taken anything. Also, I've found other caches with trinkets, but have always TNLN. To me, it's obviously not a big deal, and the fun is all in the find.

What are your thoughts?

A ftf prize is a fun part of geocaching that you run across sometimes. It's certainly not expected and we would never be disappointed that there wasn't one. Like Gob-ler and Miragee, we like finding a cache with a fresh new unsigned logbook inside.

We have placed ftf prizes in a few of our caches because that's something that's fun for us to do. I'm pretty sure that these prizes (frs radios, Garmin gpsr, mapping software, good flashlights, digital camera, gift certificates) had added some fun for those who found them. ^_^

It depends on how much effort had to be put into finding the cache.

The hareder the cache the more likely I would be to place/expect a ftf prize.

Expect is a bit strong a word for what I mean but you get the idea.

Part of it has to be being first to sign the logbook and knowing everyone else will see your name first.

Whenever attempting a FTF it is in the hopes that my kids would be excited about something just a little nicer than average swag. For some reason getting it in a cache is so much sweeter for them than buying it in the store. :)^_^

So far that theory hasn't panned out yet. Same old crap.

No, I don't expect a FTF prize. But I am more likely to head out in the middle of the night, or drive longer distances, or head out in really nasty weather if the cache page lists a FTF prize.

The few TBs I own were all FTF prizes. So were several geocoins. I've also won gift cards, the biggest was $30 for a FTF involving a 9 mile paddle to 7 islands. Not bad, considering that I have only about 15 FTFs under my belt.

I should point out that FTF prizes have usually been for more difficult or remote caches. I've run into other geocachers on many FTF attempts, but only once was a FTF prize involved (I let the other person take it).

FTF prizes would actually complicate the matter for typical urban caches where FTF parties are common. If that's the case, it would be better to not have a FTF prize, or to have prizes for STF, TTF etc.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

i have FTF'ed nine caches. more than half were micros, if its a micro i dont expect there to ba a prize. if its a regular, i dont expect to rewarded for finding it first, but its nice to get a cool prize. i once FTF'ed a whole series of 7 caches, the first 6 micros with no prize, and the last (regular) had a $25 gift card to olive garden! good timing to, right at supper time, mmmmm!

The only FTF prizes we have gotten have been lottery tickets...none have been winners though : ( We have been leaving unactivated geocoins in our newly placed caches, that seems to be going over very well. I think we might have to do something a little different soon, we have a couple die hard FTF junkies here that have both gotten one of ours, I don't want to just keep giving the same people coins over and over again! Do you think leaving one as a second or third to find would work??

We have been leaving unactivated geocoins in our newly placed caches, that seems to be going over very well. I think we might have to do something a little different soon, we have a couple die hard FTF junkies here that have both gotten one of ours, I don't want to just keep giving the same people coins over and over again! Do you think leaving one as a second or third to find would work??

If you keep leaving the same coin and they keep rushing out to be the FTF then apparently they are not rushing out grab your coin but rather to have the FTF bragging rights.

We have been leaving unactivated geocoins in our newly placed caches, that seems to be going over very well. I think we might have to do something a little different soon, we have a couple die hard FTF junkies here that have both gotten one of ours, I don't want to just keep giving the same people coins over and over again! Do you think leaving one as a second or third to find would work??

If you keep leaving the same coin and they keep rushing out to be the FTF then apparently they are not rushing out grab your coin but rather to have the FTF bragging rights.

[/quot

We don't leave the same coin, rather the same people rush out to be first to find on every new cache around here. If they want the bragging rights thats fine by me but perhaps on our next cache put out the geocoin will be for the 2nd or 3rd to find, might be interesting to see how they handle it anyway!

[/quot

We don't leave the same coin, rather the same people rush out to be first to find on every new cache around here. If they want the bragging rights thats fine by me but perhaps on our next cache put out the geocoin will be for the 2nd or 3rd to find, might be interesting to see how they handle it anyway!

I've held off putting an unactivated geocoin in traditional caches until after the FTFers found the cache. It had no effect on the FTFers but the non-FTF crowd seem to like it plenty.